The Five Best Desktop Linux Distributions

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Stripe

#21 Post by Stripe »

@ daves

I know slackware is/was run as root,
with ubuntu and mint you specify an admin password and have to enter it quite often (nearly every time) you want to change, install or remove something. I can normaly last for about 10 mins before I get sick, even with the root/admin password there is still things you cant change.

hope this helps
stripe

DaveS

#22 Post by DaveS »

Stripe wrote:@ daves

with ubuntu and mint you specify an admin password and have to enter it quite often (nearly every time) you want to change, install or remove something. I can normaly last for about 10 mins before I get sick,

hope this helps
stripe
X2 :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nooby

#23 Post by nooby »

I know too little and I have promised to not post in every thread.

But root is a pet thing for me.

I guess if you do full install then you can do a lot being root.
But on some or many Linux distros if you are running "Live" even as frugal install then even root don't allow you to save things on the HDD that you frugally installed on.

That partition get set as "Read Only" and can not be changed in any way.

Some tell me that there is some kind of thing above root named Super User or Admin or something but even Anti at Antix failed to tell me how to do that thing. That is how I remember it.

http://antix.freeforums.org/post21048.html#p21048

I wrote this

quote Newbody writes:
I gave it a test again today but it failed. when one use grub4dos iso booting then the software set the hdd as read only even for root.

What si the code for booting a normal frugal install on ntfs hdd?

It worked well for my other computers but seems to fail for this Acer D250 not sure why.
Have tried to find the right code but failed.

Any suggestion would be heartly welcome
/quote ends here.

That way back in June 12 2011, have not asked them further.

AFAIK Slitaz was set up that way too. And other distros that I have tested.

But sure if one do full install then most likely then one own that partition.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

d4p

#24 Post by d4p »

“Can Mepis do what AntiX failed doing in frugal install.
To write to the partition one booted from in frugal install
was not allowed even if one was root.

Colonel Panic

#25 Post by Colonel Panic »

with ubuntu and mint you specify an admin password and have to enter it quite often (nearly every time) you want to change, install or remove something. I can normaly last for about 10 mins before I get sick, even with the root/admin password there is still things you cant change.

hope this helps
stripe
Me too, and it's the main thing which puts me off using a Debian- or Ubuntu-based distro as my main installed one.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

linuxbear

#26 Post by linuxbear »

Any full sized distro which does not have enlightenment E17 installed as a desktop is (IMHO) too slow

linuxbear

#27 Post by linuxbear »

Colonel Panic wrote:

hope this helps
stripe
Me too, and it's the main thing which puts me off using a Debian- or Ubuntu-based distro as my main installed one.
It is very easy to create a root login for Ubuntu. Simple instructions can be found with a quick web search.
As to installing, what is so hard about apt-get install "foo" from the terminal and then entering a password when required?

Colonel Panic

#28 Post by Colonel Panic »

linuxbear wrote:It is very easy to create a root login for Ubuntu. Simple instructions can be found with a quick web search.

Thanks for your advice. I'm using Anti X RC2 at the moment, which is based on Debian Testing.

You have to press Ctrl_Alt_F2 at the login prompt;

http://ananthgs4geeks.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... lenny.html
linuxbear wrote:As to installing, what is so hard about apt-get install "foo" from the terminal and then entering a password when required?
I hadn't heard of foo until now, but here it is;

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... oo-468303/
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.