How to install Java in lucid525 multisession DVD? <SOLVED>

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
puppy-c

How to install Java in lucid525 multisession DVD? <SOLVED>

#1 Post by puppy-c »

EDITED to say Java issue solved by Installing JRE pet from Pemasu. http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/
Thanks to gcmartin for the tip.
still loads every save file at boot :?

I have installed Lucid 5.25 onto a DVD+RW disc for my 9-year old nephew. The HDD in his laptop died and I thought this would be an easy way to get him up and running. Everything works great except I cannot figure out how to install Java so it is there for each boot. I installed it from QuickPet. About all he does is play games on Pogo and YouTube videos. And it works fine for him, except that I have to re-install Java on every boot. How can I fix this?
Thanks,
Last edited by puppy-c on Wed 06 Jul 2011, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

When you say you installed Puppy on a DVD, do you mean you chose "Save to CD" the first time you shut down after booting the DVD? If so, that should have created a multisession DVD so that the next time you boot it, everything is as it was when you shut down.

Is the Java an .sfs file or just a .pet?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

This info may help you:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302

You need to make the DVD multi-session when you burn Puppy to it.
When you shut down make a save file and save it on the DVD.
Do this before you add programs.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

puppy-c

#4 Post by puppy-c »

I actually re-mastered the iso and burned that to the DVD+RW, but I forgot to install Java before I did that.
Then, when I boot the DVD+RW and start to install java from quickpet, it downloads the .pet to /tmp and then it gives me a warning that it's going to install to /mnt/home, and then asks if I want to cancel or install, no other options. If I select cancel it then returns an error message saying package failed to install. How can I tell it to install somewhere where it will be saved? The .pet is still in the /tmp folder until I reboot.

Also, another issue, at each boot it loads each of the save files that were created from all the other boots. every shutdown/save makes a new file, how do i get it to only load the newest one? or can I?

I'll gladly burn another disc, CD, DVDR, or DVDRW, whatever is the best to accomplish this.

Thanks again,
Cliff

BTW, I love Puppy, I keep trying other Distro's but I keep coming back to Puppy. I need to learn it better. It's so easy to use that I really never had to learn it until I tried to do this :D

@BIGPUP -- saw your post when i finished this, looked at that page, I guess I need to start over. I should be able to re-master the iso with all my installations and settings, right? then burn that to a multi-session cd/dvd and be good to go, right?
thanks,

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Make a multisession DVD instead of remastering. I think you will find all your problems gone away. 8)

If you decide to try a multisession DVD, I recommend using a DVD+RW -- at least until you get the hang of it. :) Burn it with Puppy's Burniso2cd or Pburn.

puppy-c

#6 Post by puppy-c »

Flash wrote:Make a multisession DVD instead of remastering. I think you will find all your problems gone away. 8)

If you decide to try a multisession DVD, I recommend using a DVD+RW -- at least until you get the hang of it. :) Burn it with Puppy's Burniso2cd or Pburn.

luckily i made this on DVD+RW, I'm blanking it with pburn now and will try what you say. I guess I made it more complicated than it had to be.

in the doc's I read it says I'll need to make a save file at shutdown, do i need to specify size for it? if so, what is recommended? I did a frugal HDD install on my laptop and made a save file for it, is it the same procedure? Also, there was mentioned that that file maybe shouldn't be larger than 1.8GB. that should be plenty big enough anyway.

thanks again to you all

dogle

#7 Post by dogle »

I guess I made it more complicated than it had to be
= true ;-)

You are invited to specify a save file size for a frugal install, but as Flash says, with a multisession all your troubles should be over - you simply invoke save at the end of session (or via the target icon you are about to see) and it all gets saved. That's it, no worries.

BTW, welcome to the Kennels!

gcmartin

#8 Post by gcmartin »

2 people in my past; namely @Flash and @Tazoc have been instrumental in helping me with LIve media.

An ISO (or even a remaster) to a Multi-session CDRW/DVDRW, constitutes Live medaia.

Live media
The PC which you are going to be using the Live media on MUST be suitable rewritable drive for the Live media you will be using.
Thus, if you have a rewritable CD drive, then the media MUST be CDRW. And, if you have a rewritable DVD drive, then the media can be either a CDRW or DVDRW.

Once your ISO has been written to the Live media, you can boot on your laptop to get a running system.

Boot the ISO
Once booted and you get thru the initial Personalize setting to tailor your laptop (insure you change the PC's name from "puppypc" to anything else, like, "sons-laptop" for example.)

I would then Reboot the PC. When you do this, you will be prompted to "Save to CD". Select it, and wait until the CD/DVD is popped open with a message indicating the session has been save to the Live media. At this point, You have complete an initial phase geared to your specific PC's peripheral. Your Live media now has all of your settings and your initial drivers included for you laptop's operation.

Reboot, and you will be taken straight to the desktop. (If you watch the boot-time messages, you will see a line indicating it found your save-session on CD and was loading it. Probable something dated like "20110706...")

Now for Java installation
There is a hitch, I've found, in the PET(s) that are installed from QuickPET or from PPM. .... "JAVA!"

Seems as I remember, there something about /mnt/home that causes problems.

A Puppy Distro builder @Pemasu built a JAVA PET that I believe gets around that /mnt/home problem. I'll have to appeal to him for his PET's location so that you can install and JAVA will be included the next time you reboot...assuming you do a save-session on the next shutdown.

Browsers, Java, and other items from PPM and QuickPET should all load and operate as expected, Any personal items you create (video, music, pics, documents) can be created as you use your system. Be sure to remember to save-session whenever you installed or created anything significant, it will get saved and be there for you when you reboot the laptop.
Hope this helps

puppy-c

#9 Post by puppy-c »

@gcmartin -- Thank you!!
I just finished remaking the dvdrw and end up with the same exact issues!

Your post looks promising to fix the Java issue, I'll try that.

You said "insure you change the PC's name from "puppypc" to anything else"
I didn't do that. What does that do? will that fix the multiple saves issue? If not, do you know how I can fix that issue?

Regards,
C

puppy-c

#10 Post by puppy-c »

gcmartin wrote:Now for Java installation
There is a hitch, I've found, in the PET(s) that are installed from QuickPET or from PPM. .... "JAVA!"

Seems as I remember, there something about /mnt/home that causes problems.

A Puppy Distro builder @Pemasu built a JAVA PET that I believe gets around that /mnt/home problem. I'll have to appeal to him for his PET's location so that you can install and JAVA will be included the next time you reboot...assuming you do a save-session on the next shutdown.

Browsers, Java, and other items from PPM and QuickPET should all load and operate as expected, Any personal items you create (video, music, pics, documents) can be created as you use your system. Be sure to remember to save-session whenever you installed or created anything significant, it will get saved and be there for you when you reboot the laptop.
I found his PETS and am downloading the JRE now!!!
Thanks again.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: How to install Java in lucid525 multisession DVD? <SOLVED>

#11 Post by Flash »

puppy-c wrote:EDITED to say Java issue solved by Installing JRE pet from Pemasu [google it].
All the help you got and you won't go to the trouble to find and post the URL? :(
I'm no expert on how multisession Puppy works. I've only read a bit here and there and studied how it works by using it. So here's what I think happens when multisession Puppy boots: first a tiny version of Linux is loaded from the DVD into RAM. Either vmlinuz or isolinux, I don't remember which (Puppy's boot screen tells you, if you're interested.) This pocket Linux then proceeds to load the saved sessions from the multisession DVD into RAM, beginning with the last session saved and working back to the first. Then it loads the big Kahuna, the sfs file which contains the Puppy kernel and everything else including utility programs, drivers and default settings. Finally, Puppy's miraculous layered filesystem combines everything, adding the changes from the saved sessions to the baseline sfs. The result after multisession Puppy has fully booted is the state Puppy was in when you last shut down and saved to the DVD.

For sure do this ASAP: go to SeaMonkey's Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Cache, click the Choose Folder button and navigate to /tmp. SeaMonkey's cache can grow to humongous size if it is saved onto your multisession DVD because it gets reloaded into RAM each time Puppy boots, and SeaMonkey will just keep adding to it. Putting SeaMonkey's cache in /tmp prevents this because the contents of /tmp are not saved onto the DVD. Thus, SeaMonkey begins with an empty cache after each reboot.

Here's the way I use my multisession DVD: when I install or uninstall a program or change a setting, I save that session to the DVD. Everything non-Puppy related that I want to save, I put on a USB memory. If I haven't changed anything that I want to save, I don't bother with the shutdown routine, I simply pull the plug. :o
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

puppy-c

Re: How to install Java in lucid525 multisession DVD? <SOLVED>

#12 Post by puppy-c »

Flash wrote:
puppy-c wrote:EDITED to say Java issue solved by Installing JRE pet from Pemasu [google it].
All the help you got and you won't go to the trouble to find and post the URL? :(
Sure, just didn't know if it was ok to or not, here it is;
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/
I'm no expert on how multisession Puppy works. I've only read a bit here and there and studied how it works by using it. So here's what I think happens when multisession Puppy boots: first a tiny version of Linux is loaded from the DVD into RAM. Either vmlinuz or isolinux, I don't remember which (Puppy's boot screen tells you, if you're interested.) This pocket Linux then proceeds to load the saved sessions from the multisession DVD into RAM, beginning with the last session saved and working back to the first. Then it loads the big Kahuna, the sfs file which contains the Puppy kernel and everything else including utility programs, drivers and default settings. Finally, Puppy's miraculous layered filesystem combines everything, adding the changes from the saved sessions to the baseline sfs. The result after multisession Puppy has fully booted is the state Puppy was in when you last shut down and saved to the DVD.

For sure do this ASAP: go to SeaMonkey's Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Cache, click the Choose Folder button and navigate to /tmp. SeaMonkey's cache can grow to humongous size if it is saved onto your multisession DVD because it gets reloaded into RAM each time Puppy boots, and SeaMonkey will just keep adding to it. Putting SeaMonkey's cache in /tmp prevents this because the contents of /tmp are not saved onto the DVD. Thus, SeaMonkey begins with an empty cache after each reboot.

Here's the way I use my multisession DVD: when I install or uninstall a program or change a setting, I save that session to the DVD. Everything non-Puppy related that I want to save, I put on a USB memory. If I haven't changed anything that I want to save, I don't bother with the shutdown routine, I simply pull the plug. :o

Thanks for all your help.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

You're welcome, and please keep us posted on your progress and discoveries. :)

For what it's worth, I thought of a workaround for the case where a pet will install and work but won't save properly and has to be reinstalled after each boot. Download the pet as a pet to somewhere that will be saved on the DVD when you shut down. In /root/my-applications for instance. Then when you boot all you need to do is click the .pet to reinstall the program. It's nearly as fast as running from the installed program. I think you can even create an icon on the desktop which links to the pet, by dragging the pet onto the desktop in ROX. Your custom settings for the program probably won't be saved, though I'm not certain about that.

puppy-c

#14 Post by puppy-c »

@Flash -- yes, I thought of that too, after several re-downloads :oops: Do any other Pets have that same issue? maybe they need to be re-written to address this problem?

Also, more questions about the multiple saves being loaded at boot;
Would it do any harm to delete the older saves from DVDRW, if that's possible? Wouldn't the last save have everything I need, assuming it was the way I wanted it to be at the last shutdown/save?
And, couldn't the procedure for saving be re-written so that it just saves the current config. and then just re-load it at boot?

Maybe one of the many puppy experts could re-master a "special" multisession puppy iso to be used just for this??

Thanks again,
C

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

puppy-c wrote:...Would it do any harm to delete the older saves from DVDRW, if that's possible? Wouldn't the last save have everything I need, assuming it was the way I wanted it to be at the last shutdown/save?
And, couldn't the procedure for saving be re-written so that it just saves the current config. and then just re-load it at boot?
Each session contains only the changes you made to Puppy during that session. Puppy needs to load all the sessions to incorporate all the changes you may have made. However, there is a way to consolidate all those changes into one session. Read about it here.