Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 2014, 18:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
wish list for next puppy release
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 18 of 23 [331 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 Next
DPUP5520

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:38    Post subject:  

Yea I think you're right and yes I was referring to HFS+
MoebusNet

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug 2011, 19:40    Post subject:  

"Safely remove usb drive". Powers down thumb drive prior to unplugging ala Ubuntu.
violazoli

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2011, 18:56    Post subject:  

I want in the future a multiuser-wary-puppy.
mi-shell

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:50    Post subject:  

recently booted Puppy on a pc without a mouse and wasn't able to find any shortcuts like Alt+F1, Ctrl+Alt+T, etc. for invoking Main Menu and terminal. I think it would be reasonable to provide such shortcuts out of the box.
jpeps

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:33    Post subject:  

MoebusNet wrote:
"Safely remove usb drive". Powers down thumb drive prior to unplugging ala Ubuntu.

Just unmount it. In slacko, you can just click on the desktop icon. Can't get much easier than that.
starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2011, 19:35    Post subject:  

Scottish Deerhound, purebred. Adorable, great personality, not afraid of loud noise (lotta people out here think that accelerating poisonous metals to high speed using noisy, explosive materials is a good bit of fun), maybe a little outgoing... housetrained is a must...

...oh, you meant Puppy Linux, the software, not Puppy, the group of cute animals that I wish I had more of in my house...

Laughing sorry folks, couldn't resist.

MoebusNet

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2011, 11:25    Post subject: Mobile-optimized browser for Puppy  

I believe an incredibly useful browser for Puppy would be modeled on the mobile browsers currently running on Android. It would primarily utilize mobile websites rather than traditional websites, making it more useful for low-bandwidth locations.

Rationale: Travel for 1 hour outside of any American city on its Interstate Highway, get off of the Interstate and turn at right angles to it, then travel for 20 miles. You are now in a "no-broadband available area" (unless you have re-entered another city). The only available Internet connection will be dial-up or cellular at dial-up speeds. There may be exceptions to this rule along the immediate East and West Coasts of the U.S., but you get the idea. Vast swaths of areas with 1960's fax-machine connection speeds.

By utilizing mobile websites, much of the content-strangling advertising that makes traditional websites unusable in low-bandwidth areas could be avoided. "What about pop-up blockers and anti-advertising software?", I hear you say. Many of the traditional websites are purposely designed to be inoperative unless you enable their advertising content, which prevents you from loading the content you are interested in. The content you are interested in is always last to load, and if the advertising can't load because of low connection speed you never see your desired content.

Mobile browsers have already addressed these concerns and so would be a useful Puppy addition for low-bandwidth users.

Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2011, 12:11    Post subject:  

MoebusNet, good idea - copied to Saluki thread, for consideration by the fast team...

Aitch Smile
aarf

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2011, 14:25    Post subject: Re: Mobile-optimized browser for Puppy  

MoebusNet wrote:
I believe an incredibly useful browser for Puppy would be modeled on the mobile browsers currently running on Android. It would primarily utilize mobile websites rather than traditional websites, making it more useful for low-bandwidth locations.

Rationale: Travel for 1 hour outside of any American city on its Interstate Highway, get off of the Interstate and turn at right angles to it, then travel for 20 miles. You are now in a "no-broadband available area" (unless you have re-entered another city). The only available Internet connection will be dial-up or cellular at dial-up speeds. There may be exceptions to this rule along the immediate East and West Coasts of the U.S., but you get the idea. Vast swaths of areas with 1960's fax-machine connection speeds.

By utilizing mobile websites, much of the content-strangling advertising that makes traditional websites unusable in low-bandwidth areas could be avoided. "What about pop-up blockers and anti-advertising software?", I hear you say. Many of the traditional websites are purposely designed to be inoperative unless you enable their advertising content, which prevents you from loading the content you are interested in. The content you are interested in is always last to load, and if the advertising can't load because of low connection speed you never see your desired content.

Mobile browsers have already addressed these concerns and so would be a useful Puppy addition for low-bandwidth users.
operamini on puppy and pussy has been done. Search the forum. Cant remember if it does what you want though.
Opera normal with turbo enabled has some speed enhancements.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
MoebusNet

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan 2012, 08:01    Post subject: Self-necrophelia  

jpeps wrote:
MoebusNet wrote:

Just unmount it. In slacko, you can just click on the desktop icon. Can't get much easier than that.

Sorry to respond in such a late fashion:

Unmounting a flash drive does indeed protect the Operating System from corruption caused by incomplete data transfers. However, if the flash drive is still receiving power from the USB port, it may be possible to corrupt the data on the flash drive due to voltage fluctuations during the unplugging process. At the very least it would seem to be a best practice to make sure that the USB port is unpowered prior to unplugging, just as it is best practice to utilize the shutdown menu rather than just unplugging your PC to shut off.

I am not an expert by any means and my opinion about the necessity of powering-down a USB flash drive may be completely erroneous. But I do think it unlikely that MS & Ubuntu both wrote code to power-down a flash drive prior to removal if that is unnecessary.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan 2012, 10:02    Post subject:  

All I can say is, I've been yanking USB flash drives out of my computers for years without powering anything down. So far, no problems that I'm aware of. Smile

I've learned the hard way to equalize the static voltage between a USB flash drive and the computer before I plug the flash drive into the USB socket. To do that, I hold the flash drive by its metal part while touching the metal that surrounds the USB port on the computer with my finger, providing a high-impedance connection across which the static voltage equalizes. If I don't do that, sometimes the computer will reboot when I plug a flash drive into a USB port. I have two computers with Gigabyte motherboards and both of them have rebooted when I plugged in a USB flash drive without first equalizing the static voltage. However, this has not apparently caused any damage either to the motherboard or to the flash drive, only the loss of whatever was in RAM when the computer unexpectedly rebooted. Mad
Aitch

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan 2012, 12:43    Post subject:  

Belt AND braces...

http://elliotli.blogspot.com/2009/01/safely-remove-usb-hard-drive-in-linux.html

Aitch Smile
Packetteer

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2012, 10:29    Post subject:  
Subject description: I wish for Apt-Get

Hi All
Having Puppies that are made from other linux distributions is
the best thing since sliced bread.
The last time I tried Puppy was years ago. I do not remember the version
number.
Back then the only way to easily add software to Puppy was to use
sfs and pets.

That worked real well unless of course the pet or sfs for the software you wanted
to add did not exist.

Being able to use the Ubuntu repositories such as you are able to in
Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 is wonderful.

Since Lucid is based on Ubuntu Lucid and since Ubuntu has apt-get
I would like apt-get added to the next release of Puppy Lucid.

For those of us who do not want to wait for the Ubuntu
repositories to be updated with the latest software version for the software
we want to install we would be able to compile the latest version from
the authors provided source code.

Yes I have installed dev-x sfs. Yes I can compile the authors source code.
What I cannot do easily is down load, compile and install all the
dependency files.

Yes I have tried to down load the dependency files. The problem I ran
into is that the software I wanted to install had so many dependencies
it would have been ridiculous to try to install the dependencies with out
apt-get.

Yes I know about Pus**y Linux.
But I like Puppy better,

Thank you for your time in reading this Message.
Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jun 2012, 19:48    Post subject:  2 wishes for next puppy  

1) Have a way to create partitions (using Gparted or other utility) that emulate a cd-dvd reader/writer. Is that what Windows' Alcohol 120% does? Don't know if it's possible. I tried using that program but I didn't find a way to make my PC recognize this emulated driver from setup.

2) if using a multisession CD to boot, have a way to read/write more .sfs and .2fs files on it after running the CD for the first time. Or songs... whatever. Doesn't it look a waste of CD space when only using it in a 10 or 20% of its surface?
bohocmasni

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun 2012, 16:29    Post subject:  

Yes, we would like PPA supports for Ubuntu, Debian, Slack, etc compatible Puppys. Now, most of programs come with only ppa repo.

( and we want also faster Puppy mirrors, longer life, free wifi, etc )
Page 18 of 23 [331 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: