Which "Puppy" editor cope with large plain texts? [Solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
nooby

Which "Puppy" editor cope with large plain texts? [Solved]

#1 Post by nooby »

Way back in time in DOS days them bragged about the best Editors them could take almost unlimited text. Don't remember now name or number but them could edit very big files.

The largest plain text that I have now is 43 Kbytes. is that big or small?
How big does it have to be to behave slow and fail to work without locking up?
Now on the Puppy that I use daily I have

Geany
Abiword
NoteCase

and I know other version of Puppy have other editors so maybe you can share if you prefer others and why.

Where can one read the specifications of such?
What are the largest or biggest plain text file them work well with?

The best one would be able to let me click on a html link and go to that page using Firefox? Does any of them do that?

I also have NoteCase and that one maybe can use html?
But I have no idea how one use it at all. Looks very odd when I did look at it.
Last edited by nooby on Tue 12 Jul 2011, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

bugman

#2 Post by bugman »

i use geany a lot - no problems [f5 opens firefox]

don't trust abiword, never used the other one . . .

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

abiword is a wordprocessor rather than text editor - i don't think this is a reason not to trust it

r1tz

#4 Post by r1tz »

i never use abiword
i use libreoffice when dealing with .doc

I use geany alot! I change the colorscheme/theme to a darker one so its easier on my eyes.

I use vim too. (:

russoodle

#5 Post by russoodle »

Nooby, i think i would classify NoteCase more as a catalogue utility than a text editor....for organising your data.

What about emacs? A few months ago, i read something about it and whoever wrote it was praising its usefulness bigtime.

Unless i'm floating around in the wrong bubble, it was stated that emacs could handle huge files....and it's very annoying that i can't remember more about it or where i found this info....aaarrgghhh :oops:
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Thanks to all of you.

So all of us find Geany okay then. But none of us know the upper limit of how big files it would take?

Hi Russ, hahah emacs that is a known name from way back in 1989 or so if I don't misremember. The UNIX guys at our Computer Club here talked about that one.

I guess the learning curve is steep. So I stay with Geany then for a while.

I guess some sourceforge page or wiki on Linux has some spec for Geany but I am too lazy now. I had hope any of you would just know. Sorry that is not so polite of me.

So I set this thread as solved if some say it can takes many gigabytes :) I guess it depends on memory too. I have 1GB RAM

so would it be fair to expect it to take some 500MB then?

pemasu

#7 Post by pemasu »

bugman

#8 Post by bugman »

darkcity wrote:abiword is a wordprocessor rather than text editor - i don't think this is a reason not to trust it
i've had problems with it and large documents, could've been low memory issues but still . . .

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Pemasu thanks for the link. That is one of the most famous FOSS guy.

"This paper was written by Richard Stallman in 1981 and delivered in the ACM Conference on Text Processing. "

No wonder that the UNIX guys made use of it.

Bugman yes RAM memory should be one important constrait. I guess I can start up geany with the 43KB text and see how much mem that is used. That would give some indication.

No hurry to get this solved. I mean 43KB is nothing compared to really big files.

russoodle

#10 Post by russoodle »

Thank you, pemasu....i'm probably lazier than Nooby sometimes....call it 'Sunday Night Fever'....heh..

I've since researched it myself but wow, if it goes all the way back to 1981, i really am hopelessly behind the 8-ball. Sounds like you already know something about it anyway, Nooby....(maybe i'll be brave enough to confront that learning curve at some stage, because it does sound interesting).
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Nah! just now it is more about managing my daily life so I have one plain ttext file that say .

ToDoToday.txt and then one that says ToDoSomeDaylater.txt

That is all I need I guess but as is obvious the later file will grow very big fast. :)

I am still fighting with this notion I have to start a forum named.

Linux forum for us that are computer challenged. (LUCC) Pronounced Luck
A very laid back approach forum only doing frugal install and easy English step by step descriptions on how to do install and how to get things going. :)

r1tz

#12 Post by r1tz »

i tried keeping todo.txt, i found its very hard to maintain.

I like tudu for my todo list ;)

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

So one click on the Terminal and write tudu and it start that application?

Practical that it warns. I guess the Calendar that exists in Mail Provider online could do such and even send SMS to remind me?
Thanks for sharing.

`f00

#14 Post by `f00 »

Yep, every so often I have to clean out the "seemed like a good idea at the time" files ;)

In general the console-based text editors (like e3, mp, mcedit and vim) are fast and handle large files easily - not so easy to get used to the interface and commands if you're used to a more gui-fied deal.

Most everybody likes geany (pretty much the default full-featured editor in Puppy). Medit and gedit have their fans, too (I particularly like medit's ui with file selector and bookmarking). Teagtk is another choice (again, different). NicoEdit is good (plus it uses a running .bak by default just in case things go pfui). For simple I like zedit, leafpad or mousepad (mousepad has a history in addition to leafpad-like features).

A few file managers (xfe and qtcmd that I know of) have text editor/viewer as add-on or built-in which is quite convenient. mcedit has the same relation to the mc file manager (both console-based but fairly easy to get the hang of).

Also a few other noteworthy ones in wine like NoteTab (not NotePad).

It all depends on what you use them for as to which one 'fits' your needs best - :lol: I use xpad a lot just because it's there and I'm used to it for jots (as opposed to NoteCase which really has a lot of great features, but I never got into the notecase habit of organizing..)

RetroTechGuy

#15 Post by RetroTechGuy »

r1tz wrote:i never use abiword
i use libreoffice when dealing with .doc
How well does it work?

I tried Abiword, and it munged all of my footnotes in a Word document created under Office '97.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

RetroTechGuy

#16 Post by RetroTechGuy »

BTW, I use "mg" (aka Micro Gnu Emacs -- a very small, Emacs-look-and-feel text editor). I just install the Debian .deb file, such as:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 020#462020
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

nooby

#17 Post by nooby »

Guys I am not so bright but to try to make the puppy forum less noisy I set it to solved. It is not solved to me but to everybody else so I don't mind to pretend it is solved.

I still have no idea how much plain text that Geany will survive but I will use it until it bark at me. Hopefully that will take a year or so.

So group hug to all of you!

rjbrewer

#18 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:Guys I am not so bright but to try to make the puppy forum less noisy I set it to solved. It is not solved to me but to everybody else so I don't mind to pretend it is solved.

I still have no idea how much plain text that Geany will survive but I will use it until it bark at me. Hopefully that will take a year or so.

Do not interfere with other persons threads!!!

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

#19 Post by nooby »

rjbrewer wrote:
nooby wrote:Guys I am not so bright but to try to make the puppy forum less noisy I set it to solved. It is not solved to me but to everybody else so I don't mind to pretend it is solved.

This is my thread so in what way does I do what you say?

PLUG is also a thread I shall be active in. Bruce threads I am welcome in. I trust that I should be active in this thread
Puppy 5.1 hacked into remotely don't you agree?

So what are you talking about? You should be more straightforward and not talk in indirect ways that only create confusion!
You have to give link or mention the Original Poster so I can understand what you refers to.

rjbrewer

#20 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:

This is my thread so in what way does I do what you say?

PLUG is also a thread I shall be active in. Bruce threads I am welcome in. I trust that I should be active in this thread
Puppy 5.1 hacked into remotely don't you agree?

So what are you talking about? You should be more straightforward and not talk in indirect ways that only create confusion!
You have to give link or mention the Original Poster so I can understand what you refers to.
My mistake; I had the impression you were marking anothers thread
as solved.

Plug is something I will avoid like the Plague.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs