Puppy on Nook Color?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Bubba_Smyth

Puppy on Nook Color?

#1 Post by Bubba_Smyth »

I was wondering if anyone has tried porting/ rooting this to a Nook Color. I noted a couple of posts about netbooks here, and have seen Ubuntu demonstrated on the device. I was just curious if this has been considered. I use Puppy on an older machine, and have used it to edit a file I screwed up in Mint Fluxbox to rescue the laptop. (Thank you very much by the way!) :) Any thoughts?

Bubba_Smyth

#2 Post by Bubba_Smyth »

BTW- I did a search here first. Sorry if I missed the post! :wink:

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Did not one guy tell us he had it on one of the versions of Kimble.

Are not both using e-ink? But maybe they have very different hardware on the mobo?

Are all these machines using ARM processors? Then there are no Puppy on them but if them use an 486 or 686? then there could be someone who has done it but not told us?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Bubba_Smyth

#4 Post by Bubba_Smyth »

"NOOKcolor full specs:

* PCB: Foxconn ML1 S 94V-0

* CPU Processor: ARM Cortex A8-based Ti OMAP 3621 @ 800 MHz (same processor as Droid 2 and Droid X)

* GPU Processor: PowerVR SGX530 Graphics Rendering: (same GPU as Droid 2 and Droid X)

* RAM: 512MB Hynix H8MBX00U0MER-0EM MCM (Stacked Chips 2x256MB each die mDDR)

* Internal Flash: 8GB Sandisk SDIN4C1-8g
* Removable Flash: 32GB via microSDHC
* Display: 7" 1024x600 ....."

Yep- ARM processor. So I guess no go. No- no eInk

For anyone interested there is a video of a Nook Color running regular Ubuntu ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXfZ6aagn8 ). Looked slow and clunky, so I thought light and nimble and came here.

Guess I might try the Android hack instead. Thanks for the input.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

He he I love you comment
Looked slow
But that is not to look down upon at all. It is made that way due to the E-ink thing needing time to surface. Okay that is both very very inconveniant and thus bad but it is a real feature in battery time because being that slow and allowing to be viewed with external ligth and not needing any light behind at all the battery just lasts and lasts.

You only need the power once when you update the page. :)

Take this forum. You only need to update it when a new post arrive.

Why have a refresh rate of 50timesa second if nothing change on it :)

Just me friendly teasing. There is beauty in everything i do love color TV with a very high refresh too and find flickering light with too low refresh very annoying. But the battery will not last long or be very heavy to carry around.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

bmullan

puppy on nook color

#6 Post by bmullan »

I bought a Nook Color tablet and it only took 30 minutes to Root it with CyanogenMod v7.

By the way... the Nook is awesome for just $250
  • 7 inch multi-touch
    ARM 8 Cortex cpu
    512MB ram
    OpenGL v1.0, 1.1 and v2.0 support
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    microUSB port
    upto 32GB of microSD card supported.
After that it was easy to install Ubuntu 10.10 in a chroot.

But the Nook only has 512MB of ram and I'd really like to get Puppy Linux running on it.

Both Ubuntu & Debian can be installed on ARM based tablets.

Has anyone yet figured out how to put Puppy Linux on a tablet in a chroot?

shadower_sc

Puppy on Nook Color?

#7 Post by shadower_sc »

Hello. :-)

I have a Nook Color and it is not an e-ink screen as some have posted in this thread. It is an LCD Screen and runs reasonably well as a small Android tablet running CyanogenMod v7. It can be somewhat difficult to get running, but it is awesome. The most awesome thing in my opinion is that you can boot straight from the SD Card without messing with your original OS on the Nook Color itself. Putting CyanogenMod v7 on it is like getting a brand new Tablet for free. :-) I have tried some of the experimental versions, but they were all unstable. CyanogenMod v7 worked wonderfully. I don't know how much I will use the Modded version of it now that I have an Android Smartphone.

What I would Love to see is the Nook Color able to boot Puppy off the SD Card. That would be awesome. :-) It might be a possibility with the work that is being done to port Puppy to the Raspberry Pi. I have no idea. hehe. :-)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

The first support for a mass market ARM device will take a while.
My expectation is 2013

First we have to get Puppy running on the ARM processor 8)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PARM
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D