5-steps - Netboot a Puppy over the LAN with NO Media (PXE)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gcmartin

#21 Post by gcmartin »

ShellyCat wrote: ... I have some questions for the future, if you don't mind. Also, some errors on the PXE server which may be normal or not: can you tell me? ...

Code: Select all

DHCP ip range 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.200 lease 1 hr
eth0 00:a0:d1:63:46:8d
offered 192.168.1.172
requested 192.168.1.172
error 0 TFTP Aborted received from 192.168.1.172
failed sending /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.0 to 192.168.1.172
sent /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default to 192.168.1.172
(ditto for vmlinuz and for initrd.gz)
This indicates that your PC is NOT able to receive/process past the startup file. Appears that you PC is being served by your server, but your PC is stopping for some reason. I have seen this and most often times this is due to a firmware upgrade needed for the MB or the NIC on the MB. Contact the PC manufacturer for that fix.

In the meantime, try another PC or laptop.
ShellyCat wrote: ... Other solutions implied as much. Does your program check automatically?
I don't believe JamesBond built that in. I think he just picked a range and ran with it. There are some other more technical details that would be topic for another thread about the PXE protocols.
ShellyCat wrote: Or is it still possible to have DHCP conflicts?
NO! As I mentioned that is a topic for a different thread. Has to do with LAN protocols.
ShellyCat wrote: ... Very common misconception. ,,,
You mentioned that Firewall are essential on PCs but, yet, you haven't been running one on your PUP. Don't mean to burst any bubbles, but your PUP isn't infected with trojan, now is it? So, maybe you've just learn a little for investigation on your part about why M$ does and PUPs don't. (On this F/W topic, let's NOT discuss that here . PXE and Netbooting has little to nothing to do with Firewalls. I ONLY mentioned it because, sometimes, F/Ws can introduce issues and I wanted to rule those issues out in helping you.)

In short, IFF you have a PXE PC that is functioning properly, that PC will boot over your LAN without you ever doing anything other than telling it to use its Network for booting.
Hope this helps

gcmartin

#22 Post by gcmartin »

WOW @c7jaff

Seems you have gotten the Netboot "bug". Good for you and for us, as you are showing us a different way we hadn't approached. Maybe good idea to start a separate thread on your accomplishments.

As I understand it, you have built a Ubuntu server that is running LTSP supporting PXE clients that get a multimedia desktop running on the Ubuntu server. This an excellent way of providing PC users their own Login with PC services to handle everything they need as if everything they were doing is on their local PC that they are sitting at.

This is called a "Terminal Server". Ubuntu+LTSP does a fabulous job of doing this for simultaneous PCs and users over your LAN. They are use the server and happily do not know they are running on the same PC.

In addition to your Terminal Server, you are also using your Ubuntu Terminal Server which has a Netboot feature. That Netboot feature you are using to allow your PXE PCs to boot other OSs (Tinycore), as well. This is so that some PXE PCs can run its own standalone OS coming from the Netboot server, versus running on the Ubuntu Terminal Server. Once those PCs boot, they will disconnect from the server as they are truly standalone without any need for the server to operate. Whereas the other PXE PCs are dependent on getting their desktop services on the Ubuntu server once they login.

Did I understand you correctly?

This is an outstanding effort. Its not just a Netboot server, its also a Terminal server. Your centralized system is what the rest of us to consider "to die for". And I, for one, am interested in what steps you took to get to this.

Very Good! I'll be looking forward to your Thread which brings all of this together.

Thanks.

c7jaff

#23 Post by c7jaff »

Does a thread on persistent Netboot clients exist? If not, I can start one.

That's mostly correct except that it's not so centralized. I couldn't get PXE clients to boot from the LTSP server without disabling DHCP if I recall correctly. There was a specific LTPS setting in the setup and I know I disabled it and then PXE booting worked. I've listed my 5 systems with the hopes that it explains this better.

I've had a lot of possible DHCP and dnsmasq conflicts. Some are/were incorrect DHCP settings. Many are remnants from failed attempts. Sometimes dnsmasq doesn't want to shut down. As a solution I have setup a separate router on a closed system for testing and that stopped the problems that I haven't determined the cause of. VM's help too when I run out of hardware.

It's also getting tougher to keep track of the Netboot systems and their features. System 2 was copied, modified, and made into System 3 so now both exist. These are what I have but they can't run at the same time:

System 1:
Samba Server, TFTP, and DNSMasq all on DD-WRT router --> supports several diskless clients, incl Puppy, DOS 6.22 and Ploplinux. Ploplinux uses the Samba login (all are read-only OS's).

System 2:
Ubuntu LTSP Server --> supports diskless Ubuntu LTSP clients/logins which are persistent.

System 3:
Ubuntu PXE Server with NFS share --> supports diskless read-only clients: Puppy, Ubuntu live, etc. Also supports: Ubuntu NFS install which is persistent and Tinycore which is also persistent.

System 4:
More of a firmware and not really a system: read-only gPXE cloud/http booting Puppy and Tinycore

System 5:
Puppy PXE Server (Netboot-Server pet & dnsmasq) --> supports diskless read-only clients: Puppy, Tinycore, etc.

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

c7jaff wrote:Does a thread on persistent Netboot clients exist? ... etc.
Thanks for sharing your usage.

I PM'd you. Check your PM

ShellyCat

#25 Post by ShellyCat »

gcmartin wrote:
ShellyCat wrote: ... I have some questions for the future, if you don't mind. Also, some errors on the PXE server which may be normal or not: can you tell me? ...

DHCP ip range 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.200 lease 1 hr
eth0 00:a0:d1:63:46:8d
offered 192.168.1.172
requested 192.168.1.172
error 0 TFTP Aborted received from 192.168.1.172
failed sending /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.0 to 192.168.1.172
sent /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default to 192.168.1.172
(ditto for vmlinuz and for initrd.gz)
This indicates that your PC is NOT able to receive/process past the startup file. Appears that you PC is being served by your server, but your PC is stopping for some reason. I have seen this and most often times this is due to a firmware upgrade needed for the MB or the NIC on the MB. Contact the PC manufacturer for that fix.
Thanks. I suppose the only reason Puppy worked over PXE is how it is contained in just a couple of files.

On another note, I cannot surf the web with the currently running Puppy on the PXE client...Puppy doesn't recognize my NIC, even though the NIC worked to download Puppy from the PXE server!

I was just going to try using PXE to serve up Slackware now, but you have swayed me to hold off until I try a BIOS upgrade on the client first (to see if I get the same errors). Otherwise, I might end up with a Slackware install that will never complete because it is only able to download the "setup" program!

I already backed up my data and wiped the install partition on the client. Puppy is still running there...I did not shut down the computer once I got it booted with PXE'd Puppy.

Thank you for the very-easy PXE setup! It's great work!

I need to redo my PXE server here because I started a clean Puppy while trying different ways to install Firefox....

...then I'll try doing the BIOS upgrade via PXE...

...after I wipe the rest of the client hard drive in case the laptop gets fried and I need to dispose of it.
Puppy Distro: [url=http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/download/quickset_puppy/]pup-431JPqs3 "Quickset Puppy Linux (Japanese/English bilingual)"[/url]
Previous distros: Slackware (preferred), Fedora Core 6 (in school), Ubutntu (not much)

gcmartin

#26 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @ShellyCat.

Is it true that you were able to get at least one PC on your LAN to startup from the PXE server? Let us know.
ShellyCat wrote: ... On another note, I cannot surf the web with the currently running Puppy on the PXE client...Puppy doesn't recognize my NIC, even though the NIC worked to download Puppy from the PXE server!....
Sounds like the system did NOT figure out your NIC.
  1. Did you try the "Connect" icon on your desktop? If so, open a terminal/console and post the output of "ip address".
  2. Which Puppy distro's ISO did you PXE out to the client? Maybe I can have a look to try to help.
ShellyCat wrote: ... I was just going to try using PXE to serve up Slackware now, but you have swayed me to hold off until I try a BIOS upgrade on the client first (to see if I get the same errors). Otherwise, I might end up with a Slackware install that will never complete because it is only able to download the "setup" program!....
I cannot help with Slackware, as I've never used it. It might be best to do the following:
  1. Go here, and work with that thread to generate a MultiPUP ISO that boots your Slackware version.
  2. Once you have your MultiPUP ISO, look in the Netboot document at Implementation #3. It shows the script in Netboot that will let you PXE a MultiPUP ISO out to PCs on your LAN. Any PC that starts via PXE will get a GRUB4DOS menu allowing you to select the distro you want to boot.
Simple.
ShellyCat wrote: ... I already backed up my data and wiped the install partition on the client. Puppy is still running there...I did not shut down the computer once I got it booted with PXE'd Puppy.....
ShellyCat wrote: ... I need to redo my PXE server here because I started a clean Puppy while trying different ways to install Firefox....
I have been running my PXE server on a LiveCD system since the beginning. I have never installed Puppy on any PC...ever...since starting in 2007. I continue to enjoy successful sustained operations without any problems. My point of view for my selection of Puppy Linux is that I can operate the system from Live media AND my HDD (permanent media) is for my "data needs only"
ShellyCat wrote: ... ...then I'll try doing the BIOS upgrade via PXE...

...after I wipe the rest of the client hard drive in case the laptop gets fried and I need to dispose of it.
@ShellyCAT, I know you don't really mean this. I'm at a loss for what technology exist to do a BIOS upgrade from any PXE. I have no awareness of this ability???

Hope this helps.

Aitch

#27 Post by Aitch »

Here's one example of bios update via PXE...it may need changing to suit your hardware, but the principle is there

http://kahrn.com/blog/2008/02/flashing-a-bios-via-pxe/

Aitch :)

ShellyCat

@gcmartin

#28 Post by ShellyCat »

Hello, again! Thank you for trying to help me troubleshoot, gcmartin. I haven't had time to check back until now.
gcmartin wrote:Hi @ShellyCat.

Is it true that you were able to get at least one PC on your LAN to startup from the PXE server? Let us know.
Thankfully, I did not have a problem PXE-ing, I just wondered if those server errors might cause a problem before doing more with PXE. (I imagine there was no problem with Puppy because it's only 2 files.)
gcmartin wrote:
ShellyCat wrote: ... On another note, I cannot surf the web with the currently running Puppy on the PXE client...Puppy doesn't recognize my NIC, even though the NIC worked to download Puppy from the PXE server!....
Sounds like the system did NOT figure out your NIC.
  1. Did you try the "Connect" icon on your desktop? If so, open a terminal/console and post the output of "ip address".
  2. Which Puppy distro's ISO did you PXE out to the client? Maybe I can have a look to try to help.
"Configure" won't work because it's telling me no NIC module was loaded. I tried auto-probe, and that didn't work either. Even "ifconfig eth0" told me no network device was found. I'll put this matter off until after the BIOS update.

F.Y.I. I am PXE-ing the same Puppy as the server, Quickset Puppy Linux 4.3.1.

It has been my experience (even more with Linux than Windows) that drivers sometimes don't load from a live or install CD, but yet they get installed and loaded during a normal boot from hard disk! My "working theory" is that either imperfect hardware detection or timing out too early (or both) is the culprit. Of course, ocassionally it's a CD-read error (in which case a reboot usually solves it unless you have an old CD drive easily confused by minor errors). If the problem is solved with a full HDD install of Puppy (which I suppose I should test, just for kicks), then I'll investigate what was loaded for drivers.
gcmartin wrote:
ShellyCat wrote: ... I was just going to try using PXE to serve up Slackware now, but you have swayed me to hold off until I try a BIOS upgrade on the client first (to see if I get the same errors). Otherwise, I might end up with a Slackware install that will never complete because it is only able to download the "setup" program!....
I cannot help with Slackware, as I've never used it. It might be best to do the following:
  1. Go here, and work with that thread to generate a MultiPUP ISO that boots your Slackware version.
  2. Once you have your MultiPUP ISO, look in the Netboot document at Implementation #3. It shows the script in Netboot that will let you PXE a MultiPUP ISO out to PCs on your LAN. Any PC that starts via PXE will get a GRUB4DOS menu allowing you to select the distro you want to boot.
Simple.
Thank you for those links! I'll try a BIOS upgrade first to see if I still get those errors on the PXE server on a sucessful PXE again. If they still happen, perhaps I'll go ahead with MultiPup-ISO anyway and see what happens. Plus several members here or in LinuxQuestions (can't remember which) had my original Toshiba problem (won't boot from anything but the hard drive), and one said he thinks Toshibas develop BIOS problems with this symptom. So I need to try a BIOS update over PXE, regardless.
gcmartin wrote:I have been running my PXE server on a LiveCD system since the beginning. I have never installed Puppy on any PC...ever...since starting in 2007. I continue to enjoy successful sustained operations without any problems. My point of view for my selection of Puppy Linux is that I can operate the system from Live media AND my HDD (permanent media) is for my "data needs only".
This is what convinced my to try Puppy, and I'm so glad I did! (I've been a die-hard Slacker for several years.) I already figured out how to create my own "manual restore points":
  1. Reboot Puppy, running completely from RAM.
  2. Rename the current save file to describe important system changes you want to keep.
  3. Copy the save file and rename it to the new things you want to do.
  4. Reboot, use the new save file, and do your next system project.
  5. If things fail and you don't know what you did wrong, delete it, and when you reboot, Puppy will be "restored" to the old one!
Very cool! Probably other people have done this but it's a revelation to me!
gcmartin wrote:@ShellyCAT, I know you don't really mean this. I'm at a loss for what technology exist to do a BIOS upgrade from any PXE. I have no awareness of this ability???
Something I saw on these forums. Hopefully I bookmarked it. I'll be looking into it momentarily. Oh...I see Aitch posted a link, too. Thank you, Aitch
Puppy Distro: [url=http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/download/quickset_puppy/]pup-431JPqs3 "Quickset Puppy Linux (Japanese/English bilingual)"[/url]
Previous distros: Slackware (preferred), Fedora Core 6 (in school), Ubutntu (not much)

ShellyCat

BIOS flash over PXE

#29 Post by ShellyCat »

Sorry gcmartin, it was on LinuxQuestions.org that I heard of flashing BIOS over PXE.

Here are 3 useful links (one given by Aitch): I'd be curious to know if anyone else has tried these methods. I'm going to try Terry Burton's. It looks simple. The user on LQ never went so far as to actually flash the BIOS, and kharn's uses TFTpd32 which I won't be using, so would require changes.

I found a BIOS update for Toshiba M115-S3094, which, as it turns out, should solve a problem where the battery doesn't charge, which I just learned to live with since I use my laptop so long, even at school, I need to plug it in and use my mouse, anyway. There's nothing said about not booting from anything but the hard disk or about fixing PXE errors, but we'll see what happens.

gcmartin

Would you consider trying a different Puppy as a test

#30 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @ShellyCat.

If i understand you correctly, you're saying your PXE PC boots to a desktop that you are able to use. But, for some odd reason, it does NOT find your LAN adapter after successful Netbooting.

I was wondering the possible merit in trying another Puppy. I have booted PUP525, and all of the "Cold" PUPs from Pemasu on 32bit PCs without problems. I have also Netboot'ed latest WARY as well.

let us know if any other one you select works properly, while you wait on your BIOS upgrade.

Hope this helps.

ShellyCat

BIOS update over PXE (using 5-step netboot)

#31 Post by ShellyCat »

Hi gcmartin,

The laptop netboots successfully, but the PXE server shows errors (still running in "debug" mode, by the way). In addition, Quickset Puppy does not detect the NIC properly or load a driver.

I'm going to try the BIOS first. I have a laptop that won't boot from anything but PXE or hard disk (BIOS issue?), a battery that won't charge (BIOS upgrade is supposed to fix it), and maybe a BIOS issue with the network card and PXE, too.

Toshiba has a 3rd BIOS update method, a bootable CD ISO! I'll see about serving that over PXE with the 5-step method and let you know how it goes!

Then I will see about the NIC not getting detected; first, see if a HDD install of Puppy can detect the NIC and load the driver, then, try those other Puppies.

ShellyCat

Must use floppy disk image?

#32 Post by ShellyCat »

It appears extending this PXE method only involves making one big ISO out of Puppy Linux files...and they would have to be Puppy?

So it's back to the floppy disk image for BIOS update. Well, I'm a little confused as to what files are what. Please excuse me for my ignorance. Here's what unzipped from the Toshiba download:

2243d190.exe       guiProg         launcher.exe   pl190.rom       tlg00.gif
dot_clear.gif      index.html      launcher.ini   readme.txt      tlg01.bmp
dskProg            isocdrom.txt    pl10190.exe    sm115v190.iso
sm115v190.iso is the CD image. 2243d190.exe is the diskette image (which I have not extracted yet). There are 2 doc files (obviously ending with ".txt"). [EDIT: this part of the doc was wrong!]pl10190.exe is described in README.TXT as "Windows-installed BIOS package"...[/EDIT]

[EDIT: I think this part is correct.]Another spot in the text file says that pl10190.exe is the Windows-based installer. This actually makes sense![/EDIT]

BTW, I am following adapting Terry Burton's procedure for 5-step PXE with Puppy server, because it seems the most straightforward:

http://blog.terryburton.co.uk/2007/08/pxe-boot-freedos-with-memdisk-to-flash.html
Last edited by ShellyCat on Tue 12 Jul 2011, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

ShellyCat

UPDATE TO ABOVE

#33 Post by ShellyCat »

It came to me later while trying to sleep, I think I remember something about ".rom" files being the actual BIOS...so I searched for pl190.rom.

From this mailing-list thread, this seems correct:
http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/printthread.php?tid=1079

I will report back how the BIOS update over PXE goes!

ShellyCat

#34 Post by ShellyCat »

Dealing with the floppy disk ".exe" took quite a hassle.
First, "unzip" will not extract it.
Second, "peazip" extracts it to just a single ".ima" image file. (I've never even seen that before.)

You have to use WinZip (or possibly some other Windows-only utility). (I couldn't see any way to do this without a Windows machine...maybe someone knows?) As for the option of the Windows-based installer, I would not be able to use that with "fdboot.img" (I think) because the README says it can only be used with Windows NT 4 and up...not even ME, so surely not DOS?

So I relented and installed WinZip (trial) on my slow-as-a-crawl Dell and extracted the floppy archive there...don't laugh, that took a while.

However, there's a bunch of files, how would I PXE it? I considered trying to make an ".img" image (like "fdboot.img") to see if it would work right, assuming I could even make one. But since I'm fairly certain which 2 files are the BIOS installer and the ROM BIOS, I just loop-mounted "fdboot.img" as per Terry Burton's blog and added the two files to that. (And if I'm wrong, the BIOS won't get flashed, anyway.)

The next step is to configure the pxe "default" (configuration) file to use "MEMDISK" (extracted from SYSLINUX download) as the kernel and "fdboot.img" in the append option.

I'm working early tomorrow and won't be able to perform the BIOS over PXE until late afternoon, but I will report back. If everything works out, I will make a HOW-TO for this specific BIOS.

If anyone has an idea how to make an error-free ".img" image from the extracted files intended for floppy -- without using Windows -- please let me know. (Or, how to extract the files from an ".exe" without using Windows...Peazip just made an ".ima" image, which didn't help.) It would be nice if I could document a complete, Linux-only method!

Aitch

#35 Post by Aitch »

Hi ShellyCat

$ dd if=filename of=/dev/fd0 
e.g

unzip bootmec.exe ## that makes a file called bootmec.IMA

Put the image on the floppy with the command:

dd if=bootmec.IMA of=/dev/fd0
Should be what you need

gcmartin

Trying to NETBOOT a non-Puppy image/iso

#36 Post by gcmartin »

@ShellyCat
I think I understand what you're trying. And we may have to open a new thread to approach this, for NETBOOT,, differently.

What we're looking at in the last several posts, here, is to use our Puppy to be able to NETBOOT a floppy over the LAN to a PXE PC. It CAN BE DONE! But, in Puppy we will have to craft something a little different.

This thread addresses Puppy(s) method of taking its unique use of its SFS (Linux in a file) approach and serving it for PXE capable PCs use on the LAN.

In this post's specific case, you REQUIRE to upgrade the bios on the PXE PC, first, so that the PC has the correct firmware to support all feature necessary for correct operation of its hardware. And, further, the firmware upgrade exist in a format which is "foreign" to this current NETBOOT implementation in Puppy.

To convert a real CD or a real Floppy to an ISO (CD/DVD) or IMA (Floppy) is reasonably simple in Linux as there are several techniques to do this. Linux easily create the media's contents to images (ISO/IMA).

The next step is to serve the image via a NETBOOT framework to that PC which does NOT have a floppy or a CD/DVD.

This is where we are in understand for helping you. We need a Puppy tool/approach to do just this. ... in Puppy. We must find a way to setup the TFTP feature of the NETBOOT framework such that the PXE PC will boot that image (ISO/IMA). (There are other non-Puppy methods to do this. But, I agree, it would be nice if we could accommodate those methods in our NETBOOT in Puppyland, too.

Hmmm???
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 13 Jul 2011, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch

#37 Post by Aitch »

gcmartin

I don't know if emt4unix is any use
Linux package includes EMT4UNIX to build IMG, EMT, MIF or DSK files from diskettes or write diskettes from images files
http://dvalot.free.fr/emtcopy.htm

Perhaps there's a way to serve a different file format that can be loaded as if the bios update image was booted from?

see also IBM bios updater
I'm a linux user and I also have a virtualized install of windows xp. I make a floppy image with DD (dd bs=512 count=2880 if=/dev/zero of=bootfloppy.img) then use my XP install to write the bios update to it's floppy drive then take the floppy image that it's written to and use mkisofs (mkisofs -b bootfloppy.img -o bootcd.iso bootfloppy.img) to convert it to a bootable iso. It takes me about three or four minutes per update.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 6e&start=0

gcmartin

#38 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Aitch. Those are good approaches you present. I am going to open a new thread. It should helps us with 2 things which is what we working to solve.
  • An approach to getting a non-Puppy ISO/IMA to boot a PC over PXE. And,
  • to investigate what can be done to embrace a technology (a PET) in Puppy to allow this to occur.
Hope this helps

Here's the thread for discussion of Non-Puppy NETBOOTing

ShellyCat

SUCCESFUL BIOS UPGRADE OVER PXE!

#39 Post by ShellyCat »

I worked really late, so I didn't start this until well after suppertime.

I was able to modify Terry Burton's method (with a few details from kharn's, as well) to successfully update (via PXE) the BIOS of my Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094. (Whether the upgrade solved my problems remains to be seen.)

[EDIT]I created this HOWTO so you can learn to update your computer's BIOS using PXE:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=543911#543911

I will add another post later, with slower explanation for newbies (...hey, wait, I'm a newbie...) as well as what choices I made and problems I encountered while doing trying this for the first time.[/EDIT]

After that, I'll see if the BIOS upgrade actually fixed anything and report back!
Last edited by ShellyCat on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 08:47, edited 3 times in total.

ShellyCat

Re: Trying to NETBOOT a non-Puppy image/iso

#40 Post by ShellyCat »

gcmartin wrote:@ShellyCat...I agree, it would be nice if we could accommodate those methods in our NETBOOT in Puppyland, too.
Yes, I was using your 5-step-PXE (netboot-server) method with Terry Burton's BIOS-upgrade-over-PXE-method. It works!

And probably the only reason it took so long is I am new to PXE, and new to figuring out what all the files used in various BIOS upgrade methods are...so I didn't know exactly what I should be trying to do. A little trial-and-error was involved, is all.

Also, thank you folks for your suggestions regarding images and so forth.