Puppy on Palm Devices

This is where threads concerning the development of the next version of Puppy live.
Foroweb

Puppy on Palm Devices

#1 Post by Foroweb »

Hello Guys, somebody known about adapting Puppy to Palm devices? particularly those that are based on ARM processors.

I have a Palm T5 and the Palm OS is very old, as well as the app's, I know, i can buy a new device but, revive my T5, would be great.

Puppy is a powerfull tool to revive old devices.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Yes but they are ARM. Debian can do such if you know Debian very deeply that is.

One guy from Italy has written a cross copiler for TCL and maybe you can learn from him how to do it for Puppy. Use the search and you see a lot of threads about ARM and Puppy here and that none such exists and most likely never will???
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Ctwo

#3 Post by Ctwo »

is that the end of the rope for Palm on Puppy?

I was looking to get my old Palm TX going again with some apps from the archive.

any way to insert the prc files?

Ctwo

#4 Post by Ctwo »

myke

?

#5 Post by myke »

I am sorry but I don't understand the purpose of the initial question and hence of the thread. What are your goals? Do you want to run Linux software on your Palm? Or do you want to run your old Palm software?

The two questions don't have identical answers. Say you want to run Linux software built for a screen, which is at least the size of a netbook and you want to do that on a Palm Pilot with a much smaller screen. And furthermore, you want to keep the low battery consumption assured by the Palm OS. So you just can't re-compile the Puppy Linux OS components for the Arm CPU - you have to worry about the screen size issue and the battery consumption - two non-trivial issues.

As to running the old Palm Pilot software on a Linux OS, you are looking at building an emulator for the Palm machine. Again this is a non-trivial undertaking.

I think your quest entails a lot of wishful thinking for hardware that I personally think is poorly built and prone to failure. At least that has been my experience with the two Palm Pilots I owned. I still have my two HP Omnigo 100's (and they still work) but the two Palm Pilots I bought that are not as old are both POC's.

BTW, both undertakings were done, the first by Nokia the second by Garnet (Palm successor) for the Nokia Internet tablets and the result was that you couldn't just use the standard packages for Debian Arm, but had to use specially constructed packages to ensure that the battery would not run down and the screen size was adjusted. Also the emulator like WINE is free but not 100%. Some Palm apps don't run.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

A good question and interesting.
Puppy is developed for the intel HW platform
There have been question in the same sense for puppy's on power PC and other HW platforms.
The answer has been always, that altho technical possible Puppy as known today don't run on those other platforms.

As nooby says, other linux flavors have developments for other HW platforms and thus there is a technical possibility to develop a 'puppy' for the ARM processor.

But I don't know if there is a developer here interested to do so.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Thanks Beem

Some say it is easy and some say it is not that easy at all.

We will not know until somebody actually make one and retell if it was that easy or if it was something them had to put in 24/7 for weeks or months to accomplish.

I know too little to even guess whom get it right. But being a true pessimist I trust it to be very difficult or else somebody had already done it just for the sake of curiousness.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Ctwo

#8 Post by Ctwo »

My question is likely not the same as the OPs.

I just want to use my Palm T|X to run the apps that exist,
so I'd just want to transfer prc programs and other files to the device.

The device also interfaces with SD, so I could probably transfer data files that way, but not prc files? I'm not really sure, just wondering about the capabilities.

I could always keep my copy of Windows kicking around to run that wee 'sync' utility...