I am in need of a small database program {SOLVED}

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Danielson

I am in need of a small database program {SOLVED}

#1 Post by Danielson »

I am in need of a small database program for puppy.
Portabase looks like what I need, but will not work with 5.25
It installs, but when I go to run it, nothing happens.

Any option ? Anyone have any success?

D.
Last edited by Danielson on Sat 16 Jul 2011, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

Re: I am in need of a small database program

#2 Post by DaveS »

Danielson wrote:I am in need of a small database program for puppy.

D.
Probably just a missing lib. Will have a go at it tonight..........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Danielson

Portabase

#3 Post by Danielson »

Thank you

D.

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

how did you install portabase? i am running it in 5.25 with no probs

Danielson

PortaBase Install

#5 Post by Danielson »

I found a .pet package, opened my usb stick, clicked, and it installed.

Or at least it said it did, it shows up in the 'personal' menu, but does nothing when clicked.

D.

bignono1

#6 Post by bignono1 »

Run it from the terminal.

DaveS

Re: I am in need of a small database program

#7 Post by DaveS »

Danielson wrote:I am in need of a small database program for puppy.

D.
OK, I took a look and you need QT libs. I made a .pet for you with ONLY the QT libs that you need. The unpacked libs weigh 18MB. If you are still trying to get it to work, would you like me to upload it for you?

EDIT: I uploaded them anyway, portabaselibs.pet, download from here http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/DaveS/
Username puppy
password linux

EDIT: I also uploaded the program complete with missing libs and menu entry if anyone wants it. Just download and install portabase.pet
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Danielson

PortaBase

#8 Post by Danielson »

Thank you very much!

This is a great little program, only wish it had a simple forms editor.

D.

DaveS

Re: PortaBase

#9 Post by DaveS »

Danielson wrote:Thank you very much!

This is a great little program, only wish it had a simple forms editor.

D.
Couple of years ago Gposil was working on building a database for Puppy. Development has stopped now, and I dont know how far along it got, but it is here if you want to give it a try.. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42480
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tlchost

Re: PortaBase

#10 Post by tlchost »

DaveS wrote: Couple of years ago Gposil was working on building a database for Puppy.
He was going great until Barry faulted his design and said the application was too big and would never be part of Puppy.

Thom

russoodle

#11 Post by russoodle »

Out of curiosity Dave, i followed your link and downloaded GPosil's Puppy Personal Database v0.6b pet, which i installed in my Macpup 525 live session, where i'm posting from at the moment.

I don't really need a database app but thought i'd take a look....what you see in the screenie below is as far as i've gone with data entry but it's quite intuitive and you can make your own custom databases with it. It also has, under the Tools menu, a calculator and a calendar.

I couldn't find it on Guy's server so i'll upload it to the PETS directory on mine later.....and thanks for adding the pet for Portabase....i'll have to try that, too :D
Attachments
GPosils-PPDB-06b.jpg
The last version of Guy's database program
(64.21 KiB) Downloaded 976 times
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

DaveS

#12 Post by DaveS »

From what I can remember, it had got to a functional point, but was still only flat-form, not relational. Often, that is all that is needed, so may even now be very usable. One big advantage is that it does not need QT like Portabase, or Java, like OpenOffice Base.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#13 Post by DaveS »

Continuing on from this, Jabu2 has made the following valid point in a PM:

More than almost any other piece of software, it may become critical - and any functional failure of a database may represent a large loss (time and effort) to the user.

Databases tend to enlarge in every direction, with time. Rarely does a database end up the way it started out. Design of a database is normally more important than choice of software to run it.

I don't know if Portabase (which seems to have reported no news for a year now) is able to handle what this, or any other user, needs.

Personally, on puppy, if you can load/use LibreOffice or Open Office, then that suite's ability to provide a database function should be mentioned. Both have SFS, and one or both will stay the course, at source and originally and in Puppy SFS format.

IMHO both are pretty solid even with quite sizeable data sets. I haven't tried Portabase - why would you, unless you couldn't use LibreOffice?

There are of course many others, including the new Calligra but it's a bit new for me at this stage. OK to try, but not to use for a real database which one may need to be be ongoing and robust for many years.

This is valid advice... Horses for courses.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Colonel Panic

#14 Post by Colonel Panic »

DaveS wrote:Continuing on from this, Jabu2 has made the following valid point in a PM:

More than almost any other piece of software, it may become critical - and any functional failure of a database may represent a large loss (time and effort) to the user.

Databases tend to enlarge in every direction, with time. Rarely does a database end up the way it started out. Design of a database is normally more important than choice of software to run it.

I don't know if Portabase (which seems to have reported no news for a year now) is able to handle what this, or any other user, needs.

Personally, on puppy, if you can load/use LibreOffice or Open Office, then that suite's ability to provide a database function should be mentioned. Both have SFS, and one or both will stay the course, at source and originally and in Puppy SFS format.

IMHO both are pretty solid even with quite sizeable data sets. I haven't tried Portabase - why would you, unless you couldn't use LibreOffice?

There are of course many others, including the new Calligra but it's a bit new for me at this stage. OK to try, but not to use for a real database which one may need to be be ongoing and robust for many years.

This is valid advice... Horses for courses.
I can only say why I use Portabase - compared to the alternatives it's an order of magnitude easier to set up and use, looks good and has all the features I need.

- CP
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.