external modems that work with puppy?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Dutchman81

external modems that work with puppy?

#1 Post by Dutchman81 »

I need to buy a external or USB modem for my laptop, I was wondering if there is a list posted anywhere of hardware that will work with puppy. Preferably with a minimum of trouble installing.

Basically what external modems does puppy prefer?
Last edited by Dutchman81 on Wed 21 Jun 2006, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

By definition, all external serial modems can be made to work with all distro flavours (including 'doze). You can swap it between machines or use a switchbox. Buy a cheap clone. Everyone has problems with USB modems, which are special versions of Winmodems. We have done this topic to death. Search. If you want the experts' advice, see what Barry recommends in his many pronouncements and ignore the rest!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Dutchman81

#4 Post by Dutchman81 »

Thanks Lobster
Last edited by Dutchman81 on Wed 21 Jun 2006, 13:47, edited 2 times in total.

ndujoe1

Best Data external

#5 Post by ndujoe1 »

I use this brand and it works well.

Joe

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

Can't see the logic of compiling a list of external, true serial modems. This page might better be used for Winmodems? Serial external modems all work if set as 'standard' or w.h.y., even in all flavours of Windows, and are connected correctly via a D25 or D9. Most can be simply connected as 3-wire devices if all else fails or, very rarely, the manufacturer has tried to be too smart and adds something non-standard to the FW. If it isn't working, suspect the OS or apps.:
Sometimes the SW requires specific Hayes command initialising strings - look it up in the manual or on-line. An ATZ command will clear all previous settings that defective SW may have retained. Sometimes SW requires detection and setup followed by rebooting or (Linux) restarting the X-window, ocassionally modem hard reset. Sometimes new firmware helps, but this is not a fault of the device itself. Whatever, if it isn't working, either it's been damaged by static, lightning, etc, its PSU isn't working, there is a line fault or, usually, the SW is flawed. A serial modem is just a simple switch at the end of the day. It isn't capable of not working!