Slacko 312.37 110807

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#121 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:James C,funny my card is an 8400GS too, works perfectly, I think from memory Jim1911 has (or had) one too. Actually nouveau should work with that card, I bet mageia is using it at first :wink: (as root do an lsmod to see if nouveau kernel module is loaded to see). Most will notice that nouveau is removed from this release.

As for the athlon with the old nvidia, I can't test that 96.xx driver, sorry. However if you get the kernel source you can compile it yourself.. since you have done so well at the prompt thus far :lol:
Yes, Mageia started out with nouveau....didn't check but I imagine Mint, etc. does too.
I have an 8400 GS on another box and all these Pups work fine on it. Must just be something strange in the mobo/videocard combo.

The Athlon XP box.......cpu's not maxed out now. :) Guess it was worth all that difficult compiling......... :lol:

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 311.37

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: " 1440x900 " Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

James C

#122 Post by James C »

Slacko 331.37 live pfix=ram in the other 8400 GS box.No problem, booted straight to the correct 1440x900 desktop with working internet....sound was muted but just had to choose the correct sound card.

# report-video

VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 311.37

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G98 Board - 5610002u Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nv

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "1440x900" Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

Ethernet controller : ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100
Multimedia audio controller : C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS]

Looks good and everything appears to be working pretty well.

Back to the dual-core/Nvidia 8400....... :lol:

Notice that this 8400 GS is detected as.......

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G98 Board - 5610002u Chip Rev

While the 8400 GS in the dual-core is detected as........

0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 10c3 (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: GT218 Board - 08740005 Chip Rev

That last info is from Luci but the xorg.0.log I posted shows the same.Kinda explains the graphics problems. :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#123 Post by Lobster »

First of all my apologies to any large (cylindrically challenged?) people
or those not liking dragons or bald headed guys wearing necklaces . . .
for the recent photo of my netbook.
May you find a more worthy source of annoyance . . . 8)
I compiled and made pets of the newest xfe (X file explorer) file
manager, I left out the kde icon theme to make the pet smaller.
Billto, many thanks, 8)
Very impressive file manager - but it is really big with that extra lib. Runs OK but seems to add xfi, xfp and two other X's under menu/utils. Do we need some compression or a smaller file manager? What is ttuuxxx up to I wonder . . . ?

Pemasu, I have NEVER had problems with Gftp so is anyone else having problems? I used it OK with Alpha1 (previous Slacko)

Am having problems with Transmission - not sure, is it working? Anyone else?

Mplayer and sound seems OK - used quite a lot yesterday. Will be better once I can use Xorg.

Can we have tik-tik instead of those (all round) marble icons?
Just a style difference but if you are using a grey theme as I am
then shape is one of the ways you do a quick differentiation . . .

For an Alpha 2 - pretty good and usable day to day . . . :)
Check out the vid from Icyos (he very kindly responded to my suggestion for a trial Spot . . .)
http://youtu.be/k-JOklRQBMY

Thanks Mick, Thanks guys. 8)

Puppy Linux
Suitable for follicly challenged dragons
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

charlie6

#124 Post by charlie6 »

Hi pemasu,
pemasu wrote:

Code: Select all

# alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such device
currently running slacky 331.37 in frugal install;

I got error messages while trying to open the attached alsafix.gz archive

Code: Select all

# gunzip -v alsafix.gz 

gzip: alsafix.gz: not in gzip format

# unzip -v alsafix.gz 
Archive:  alsafix.gz
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of alsafix.gz or
        alsafix.gz.zip, and cannot find alsafix.gz.ZIP, period.
# 
Am I wrong?
thanks for eventually reupload the alsafix.gz
Cheers,Charlie

pemasu

#125 Post by pemasu »

charlie6. Quote from the original post. I dont think that alsafix is needed in Slacko, but if you want to look out that script inside, well feel free....

Read this original posted quote again.
I include my alsafix script which is just a way to have asoundstat file created, nothing fancy. I have it at /etc/init.d in my puppies. Remove the phony .gz. It fools this great forum upload mechanism
This is usual way to upload scripts.

Brown Mouse

#126 Post by Brown Mouse »

More browser troubles here.
If I open a website which contains flash video adverts and scroll the page,the adverts also move up and down the page.
Even if I open extra tabs for other sites,I still see the same adverts shining through.
I thought maybe this was a Firefox 4 problem but I've just installed the new Chromium and it occurs in that too.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

IPinfo

#127 Post by Béèm »

IPinfo annoyance

Already in spup 310 (and I think in 100 a swell) sometimes when right-clicking on the network tray icon and selecting network info I get a windows as seen in the picture. Sometimes the oK button is very off screen.

Also the window seems to be in a frozen state as I can't navigate with the tabs.

Wonder what is happening.
Attachments
ipinfo-spup_311.png
(70.07 KiB) Downloaded 1117 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

live

#128 Post by live »

Re: Slacko 311.37

Thanks for the initiative.

I do appriciate the new interface of PPM :-)

Issues:
1/ Chromium13 does not function for me
File /usr/lib/chromium/chrome has these missing library files:
libevent-2.0.so.5 libgconf-2.so.4
Well can't find libgconf-2.so.4

2/ Compare to Luci265, PPM fails to have/show a lot of applications, or are old for instance GIMP. Recent in the Wikka(http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GIMP), but again fails to functions due to dependecies)

3/ General could you make like Playdaz, at the very top of the thread for Puppy 5.2.6, the changelog.
Actually, when I downloaded Slacko 311.37 I didn't know if it would be on kernel 2.6.37 or kernel 2.6.39 as mentionned within the thread.
By the way why not kernel 2.6.39 as Barry?

4/ General for Slacko & Puppy, when they are missing dependencies, why not having a recursive missing dependencies install???? Manually, it's time consuming and prone to errors to do it.

5/ Sound is muted, don't know how to turn it on.

6/ Wishing an updated ntfs-3g, openssl with the latest wikka

7/ May I dream of a full recompile in i686(Pentium Pro 1995), as floating point arith ought to be boosted?

8/ Is see Slacko based on Puppy Linux 3.1.1, why not Puppy Linux 5.2.5 ??

Thanks

sszindian

Printing problem

#129 Post by sszindian »

Tried printing some graphic pictures with both Ambiword and MtPaint... they really messed up on the printing (only printing the bottom-half of each picture and even that was out-of-proporation)!!!! To confirm it wasn't my computer, I re-printed the same graphic pictures with Kolourpaint in another Linux program and they printed perfect.

Just thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else had this!

>>>---Indian------>

PS: With the Cromium/Iron problem, latest Wary has the same problem... might be a woof'e thing?
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Brown Mouse

#130 Post by Brown Mouse »

live wrote: 1/ Chromium13 does not function for me

Well can't find libgconf-2.so.4
I installed Chromium 13 from ppm and used the 'examine deps' tab to install the missing libs.

mikeslr

ATi-Radeo Success --Where do I go from here?

#131 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 01micko & all,

I am posting from Slacko 311 having successfully created a SaveFile. I've been able to get this far having run a "well-minded" search on "spup ATi Radeon" which revealed your suggestion to Playdaz when he ran into a similar problem with spup 055, to wit:

so maybe try Code:

puppy pfix=ram radeon.modeset=0

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... cc4#486560

I did not include the "ram" argument; only "pfix=radeon modeset=0".

As my level of understanding is on par with "Monkey see. Monkey do." I wonder if there is anything else I should now do.

Hope this helps in getting to the root of the problem others have experienced with XOrg in Slacko.

mikesLr

Lobster
Official Crustacean

day to day running

#132 Post by Lobster »

Transmission - working weird - reports bit torrent is not available but seems to be downloading anyways - the saving location is not persistent (saved between runs) but may be I have to turn this on but it has been on by default previously

Watched 'we know nothing - NOTHING' (said in best Manuel from Fawlty Towers voice) hacking scandal on BBC news - res was low in full vesa screen but I could follow OK . . .

Mplayer also running OK but small size in vesa
FF 5 running OK - no crashes or lock ups

Also used in day to day usage:
MTpaint
Abiword
Geany
xchat

This binaural beat generator working and allowing me to fry my brain
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 692#496169

The Slackware reputation for reliability is already asserting its spot in Spot :)
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

rcrsn51

Re: Printing problem

#133 Post by rcrsn51 »

sszindian wrote:Tried printing some graphic pictures with both Ambiword and MtPaint... they really messed up on the printing (only printing the bottom-half of each picture and even that was out-of-proporation)
I printed a colour photo to a B/W laser printer using both Abiword and mtPaint. Both printed correctly. Do simpler print jobs work OK? Your symptoms suggest an out-of-memory condition.

Try sending the print job to the PDF printer. How does it look?
To confirm it wasn't my computer, I re-printed the same graphic pictures with Kolourpaint in another Linux program and they printed perfect.
How do they print in other Puppies?

sszindian

Printing

#134 Post by sszindian »

Hi rscn51! Thanks for jumping in here.

I solved the printing problem... I have my little 'Cloud .pet' installed on 137, went to pixlr paint online... printout was perfect.

No, never did get Ambiword to produce a print (inserted pictures). It will print regular text very nice though so I'm not to concerned as long as the Cloud pixlr paint does such a nice job... just something I don't have to maintain which I'm beginning to like a lot!

I did not run low on memory either in puppy itself (746 MB)or on my computer (1 GB).

Mtpaint... I have never been able to print anything from it, no matter what version of puppy or what version of mtpaint I ran. I did a lot of graphic work in mtpaint and never had a problem with that end, just would never print anything so here again, pixlr paint seems to handle it all. Might be something to do with this SIS graphics card my machine has but I kind of doubt that as in JoliOS (jolicloud) which is basic Ubuntu... My printer never misses a beat there with text OR graphic/pictures. I just installed mtpaint in it (JoliOS) and will give it a try there later on tonight or tomorrow and let you know what happens.

When I went to print to PDF in Ambiword, just befor it started to print, the picture elongated-vertical, file saved was about one-inch of the bottom of the picture, that was all.

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

Printing

#135 Post by sszindian »

rcrsn51 :

Tried printing the same pictures on JoliOS... same exact results as stated above for Ambiword and MtPaint... Ambiword messes up as stated... MtPaint won't print at all!

Interesting!

>>>---Indian------>

Billtoo

Slacko 311.37 110717

#136 Post by Billtoo »

Here is another file manager similar to midnight commander and xfe but
smaller.
Attachments
emelfm2.jpg
(51.35 KiB) Downloaded 1207 times
emelfm2_DOC-0.8.0-i686-spup.pet
(56.78 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#137 Post by Lobster »

Tried emelfm2 :) Many thanks
Worked OK but did not seem to support NTFS - first thing I tried
So I used your earlier compilation of Xfe (which supported my NTFS partition)

thanks again Billto :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

01micko

#138 Post by 01micko »

Hi All

mikesLr,
I'm on my old radeon right now with no issue. I'm about to try the radeonhd driver which is part of the Slackware Xorg compilation.. I wonder if it would help? (That driver is omitted from all spups so far). I do remember distinctly the radeon modeset issue. Since I am aiming for reasonably modern hardware, I may rearrange the modeset in favour of later radeons, depending on my tests.

Brown Mouse.
I have seen that weird flash issue, but only on my nvidia box, all others are ok. What graphics chip are you using? I seem to recall that you have an nvidia, correct?

Béèm
I can't reproduce that IPinfo issue, any special circumstance? (say resolution?)

sszindian,
I will try to find stable versions of these apps that print ok :) . I really dislike Abiword, however there is no other slim "word processor" out there. The abiword devs haven't done much lately. I guess they think people would rather libre or open office.
As for mtpaint, Dimitri (aka wjaguar on this forum) is the maintainer of mtpaint. Maybe you could pop him a message, with any errors if messages are given. Most apps print just fine in spup for me.

_

Anyone using chromium from PPM, deps *should* be downloaded automatically, works for me. (ORbit, gconf, libevent, and another which escapes me right this moment.). An Iron package will go up this weekend, as may well a new alpha spup with the new woof (released today), I need to sort sound and touchpads as the main concern. If that's ok then we move to beta.

-
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rcrsn51

#139 Post by rcrsn51 »

01micko wrote:sszindian,
I will try to find stable versions of these apps that print ok :) . I really dislike Abiword, however there is no other slim "word processor" out there. The abiword devs haven't done much lately. I guess they think people would rather libre or open office.
Abiword is notorious for mis-handling graphic elements, so I'm not surprised that it would fail to print out your picture. For a quick image printing tool, use your web browser instead. Use File > Open File.
As for mtpaint, Dimitri (aka wjaguar on this forum) is the maintainer of mtpaint. Maybe you could pop him a message, with any errors if messages are given.

You need to configure mtPaint. for printing. Go to File > Actions > Configure > Print image. Change the command to "lp %f".

01micko

#140 Post by 01micko »

rcrsn51 wrote:
As for mtpaint, Dimitri (aka wjaguar on this forum) is the maintainer of mtpaint. Maybe you could pop him a message, with any errors if messages are given.

You need to configure mtPaint. for printing. Go to File > Actions > Configure > Print image. Change the command to "lp %f".
I wonder if that could be dealt with at compile time? (Xdialog, as an example, has a printing command option when configuring for compilation)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access