bring back puppy 431.

Using applications, configuring, problems
Wally
Location: Heaven, Dell X1:NO HDD, NO CD, NO FAN Pup 4.3.1 USB Boot............................ {RAP SUCKS!}

#81 Post by Wally »

ah,

i couldn't be more serious.

good point about the calculators, though.

** yeh, and 3D grafx should definitely be made
standard, or built-in, so one does not have
to install xorg/dri pets..

that's good idea
Last edited by Wally on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

darkcity

#82 Post by darkcity »

I've added this discussion to the Puppy wiki page

and retro 525 to the Puppy Version list
Puppy Version List

please correct and expand if you like.

PaulS

#83 Post by PaulS »

I am a bit of a newb to Linux and Puppy. I have just finally done a full install on an old P4 Gateway machine with two HDD, two DVDs, and a 144 floppy. It also has USB (V1). I like it. It is stable as it came off the cd even though I had a bit of trouble getting it to see the LAN card.
I saw this thread and am very interested because I want to install the Open Office package (once I figure out which one will be stable). 4.31 won't support the web cam I have (Logitech V-UM14) but I haven't searched very hard for a driver yet either.

I have used Puppy 4.31 on this computer and older WIN98 and a new quad processor WIN 7 computer - it worked well on all of them. This is my dedicated NewDOS/Linux computer (Gateway) and it will never again see any MS products if I can avoid it. I do need to add some ram as I only have 128 M on it but there is a place close that I can get what I need.

I think that as long as 4.31 is kept as stable and universal as it is that the only thing it needs is the ability to accept "newer" apps. I wonder if the apps could be made to contain all the deps they need to operate without mucking with the basic 4.31 OS?

cowboy

4.3.1 redux

#84 Post by cowboy »

PaulS wrote:I wonder if the apps could be made to contain all the deps they need to operate without mucking with the basic 4.31 OS?
Hello. Have you seen this thread re:updates to 4.3.1?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63652
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

disciple

#85 Post by disciple »

Hello. Have you seen this thread re:updates to 4.3.1?
But that thread doesn't look like it considers upgrading important libraries like GTK, which are often needed for newer programs, or to install packages compiled in new puppies.
I think that as long as 4.31 is kept as stable and universal as it is that the only thing it needs is the ability to accept "newer" apps.
In other words, it needs all its packages to be kept up to date. Then it wouldn't be 4.31 anymore, it would be a puplet similar to Ttuuxxx's "2.14X".
If someone wants to maintain such a puplet, there is nothing stopping them, but I can't really understand what the point would be.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

PaulS

#86 Post by PaulS »

I seem to be unable to express what I am thinking.
Can applications be made to operate within 4.31 if all their dependencies are built into the app package?
I don't want 4.31 to change at all - just the apps. Then we can install the newer apps knowing that puppy is just fine where it is.

Forgive my ignorance but I have only done a little work in basic, C and C+ for DOS and it has been a few years since I have done that. I am just an old man who has been fiddling with computers since 1978 when I bought my first TRS-80 (which I still have).

I am unsure what the limits are to write upgraded software to run under the 4.31 platform.

disciple

#87 Post by disciple »

Can applications be made to operate within 4.31 if all their dependencies are built into the app package?
Sure, but it is generally foolish to bundle dependencies into packages, especially large things like gtk. If you want that sort of chaos, run Windows. If you're going to run Linux, keep your distro up to date (and consider using a distro with a proper package manager!).

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Makoto

#88 Post by Makoto »

Well, there's things like CDE, which attempt to bundle a program with all the necessary dependencies to create something of a 'portable' program. I'm not sure how reliable it is, whether or not it follows the entire chain of dependencies, and if it handles the glibc/gtk dependencies well (if at all), though.

But, yeah, depending upon the amount of dependencies (sorry, no pun intended), a program could still possibly grow fairly large (even after stripping/UPXing/etc.). :(
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

disciple

#89 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:If you want that sort of chaos, run Windows. If you're going to run Linux, keep your distro up to date (and consider using a distro with a proper package manager!).
Sorry, I meant proper repository, not proper package manager.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

HiDeHo

#90 Post by HiDeHo »

PaulS wrote:I seem to be unable to express what I am thinking.
I don't want 4.31 to change at all - just the apps. Then we can install the newer apps knowing that puppy is just fine where it is.

Forgive my ignorance but I have only done a little work in basic, C and C+ for DOS and it has been a few years since I have done that. I am just an old man who has been fiddling with computers since 1978 when I bought my first TRS-80 (which I still have).

I am unsure what the limits are to write upgraded software to run under the 4.31 platform.
ok PaulS this is not the place to get information on this. create your won forum post about it.

first if you get the linux source code application. you can compille it you need to install teh devx.pet or devx.sfs to do this.

if all you want it openofficce then try using one of these http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/mike/ ... =office%2F

have you thought about trying the new wary puppy. it is designed to run on older computers and has allot of current stuff. it would be my choice of os on a p4 computer

l2ulinux

Bring back Puppy 431

#91 Post by l2ulinux »

I wish there was a new Puppy 431 are a remake of 431 are 432. I do not want a Lucid 431, Wary 431, Racy 431 are a Slacko 431. It could have a newer kernal and newer drivers.

I think no Pup's should DIE are just left to be old history.

harii4

#93 Post by harii4 »

I wish there was a new Puppy 431 are a remake of 431 are 432. I do not want a Lucid 431, Wary 431, Racy 431 are a Slacko 431. It could have a newer kernal and newer drivers.

I think no Pup's should DIE are just left to be old history.
Have you tried TXZ_Pup?
An puppy 4 series fork.
TXZ_pup 4.50
a special version built with all TXZ packages
"first of its kind " and a slackware kernel 2.6.27.7
it uses the latest slackware type package management
to install /uninstall packages with a new Xdialog GUI
that also has dependency checking this is a work done
by forum member big_bass "this was built using pkgtools"
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

l2ulinux

Bring back Puppy 431

#94 Post by l2ulinux »

harii4 I see you like the older Dogs yourself.
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant 3.0b featherweight / 3.02CE / TXZ_pup

I just like using Puppy 431. I don't know why but it got me by a lot of cold and rainy days. It is a old friend I just don't want to see go as other Pup's have gone.

harii4

#95 Post by harii4 »

Akita Linux (formerly called Puplite)
Based on TurboPup (a Puppy 420 derivative), but now Wary 5.1.x compatible.
Still uses kernel 2.6.25.16 and SFS-v3.. It is a pre-woof build
This puppy is close to it. :?
I just like using Puppy 431. I don't know why but it got me by a lot of cold and rainy days. It is a old friend I just don't want to see go as other Pup's have gone.
so true :D
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

l2ulinux

Bring back Puppy 431

#96 Post by l2ulinux »

Akita Linux (formerly called Puplite)
Based on TurboPup (a Puppy 420 derivative), but now Wary 5.1.x compatible.
Still uses kernel 2.6.25.16 and SFS-v3.. It is a pre-woof build

Your right about it starting out to be a good Puppy release. But now Wary 5.1.x compatible and that is the point. I and many others would like the Plain Jane of 431 or 432 with a newer kernal and run newer programs.

ICPUG

#97 Post by ICPUG »

So why does Racy not fit the bill?

jakfish

#98 Post by jakfish »

In light of the current versions of 4.32, I could use some final clarification (I've culled the threads, but am still unsure). Which--in general terms--is more recommended:

puppy432_V3

or

pup-432-SCSI-002

Apologies for being dense,
Jake

Dewbie

#99 Post by Dewbie »

l2ulinux wrote:
I and many others would like the Plain Jane of 431 or 432 with a newer kernal and run newer programs.
Try Wary 5.1.4.1.
It has newer apps / kernel / plugins, plus 4.3.1's SeaMonkey 1.1.18 browser.
If you switch to 4.3.1's JWM theme / wallpaper, you probably wouldn't know the difference. :)