zim

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
ariel

zim

#1 Post by ariel »

project homepage: http://zim-wiki.org/
Zim brings the concept of a wiki to your desktop. Store information, link pages and edit with WYSISYG markup. Creating a new page is as easy as linking to a non-existing page. Pages are stored in a folder structure, like in an outliner, and can have attachments.
there was a request for this and the request was good.

tested with puppy 4.2.1 and 5.0.1 lupu

:arrow: zim-0-23-1 15,2 Mb
md5sum: 9095cb20f7a24d81c7965c4c543dab15

tested with puppy 5.2 lupu
:arrow: zim-0.5.0-lucid 6Mb
md5sum: f0ac71113314fcb8e3593b8ac5907fba

:arrow: zim-0.60 for puppy tahr or visit https://lab2000-linux.homepc.it and see the download section.
Last edited by ariel on Fri 21 Oct 2016, 19:07, edited 8 times in total.

bodbozzle

#2 Post by bodbozzle »

Thank you,
installed it on Wary 5, and it seems to work :)

ariel

#3 Post by ariel »

Thanks for testing. I confirm that it runs on wary 5 too.

One warning for all versions, though. You may experience a crash when trying to read or paste text not formatted in utf-8. You need to convert the source document into utf-8. You can do this with iconv, which I've already posted in the forum. Anyway don't fear to lose any data. The program saves your session every few seconds.

cheers :wink:

oui

#4 Post by oui »

Hum

Thank you very much Ariel!

Sorry that I discover your message as later:

I did erase yesterday 10 % of my zim pages in Debian :idea: to transform them into didiwiki pages because puppy does not use zim :roll:

I am using Debian squeeze

and Spup055 at this time because squeeze pup will not start (Xorg :cry: ! blue screen... ).

but Spup055 is really a very good OS and I am happy with it.

my problem is now following:

I have a part of my own-wiki-pages in

zim

and an other part in

didiwiki

since yesterday :x .

and I will use both in Debian AND Spup.

The same files, of course!

Debian is in sda5, Debian-home in sda7

Puppy's are all in sda3 (vfat partition) in frugal installation.

the complication comes from didiwiki from spup and Debian

didiwiki from spup needs an user (different from the old puppy's) named "spot" without password and saves the file in /root/spot in the pupsave file ( /sda3/spup/spupsave.2fs or /mnt/home/spup/spupsave.2fs , is equivalent). but as Debian can't open the pupsave.2fs's I can't loge my pages in the pupsave.2fs file of course! second reason is that the pages exist all already in Debian

didiwiki from Debian Squeeze save the files in /sda5/var/lib/didiwiki (also this differs from the old usage of didiwiki in Debian! the default directory was /home/~/.didiwiki !) and the files are crypted (in the past did didiwiki use direct readable text files like zim today!)

my old zim pages are in /sda7/~/notes
/sda7/~/notes/Calendar and
/sda7/~/synonymes (yes, I experimentate in using zim to make a synonym dictionary as representant for other types of dictionaries)

of course, I don't use the pseudo "spot" at all myself!

it is a bad user name for me because Debian does control exactly the owners :idea:

I would be interesting to create a new user ALSO WITHOUT password as spot in spup or rename spot and link my now existing didiwiki dir from Debian ( /sda5/var/lib/didiwiki ) in spup for the didiwiki of spup. in Debian, it would be easy invoquing «didiwiki» in the terminal with the adequate option...

but I don't know if the way is yet possible in spup because of the use of an user named "spot"...

what is your experience with those matters?

bye

PS: zim is a lot better to use as didiwiki. but he needs a graphical linux and uses tons of memory in our case as he has to be loaded in RAM

links+didiwiki is probably the maximal solution for non graphical linux distributions. didiwiki is extremly small. works pretty in links with cups and gutenprint and offers so probably the best writing non graphical environment for linux with only ab. 44 kB more than the browser (links, elinks, links2, retawq, etc.!) especialy if the files are not crypted but in text format! you can mark and print out the text as bold or italic or underlined etc...

it is also the best minimal text and browsing environment in minimal graphical linux. yes! both! browsing, wiki notes but also text as you can non only mark and print out bold or italic or underlined but also see them so!!!

it is possible to use cups correctly in links!

the combination links + cups + gutenprint + didiwiki offers an very efficient minimal office with very extended function. i can access my email box without problem in links, print out, put my texts in form in didikiwi and print them out etc.!

for high performances I prefer zim of course.

but I am sorry that zim is not available with a common coding with didiwiki to allow to interchange the texts directly between both!

ariel

#5 Post by ariel »

hi oui,

I think that the easiest thing to do in your situation is to create a new directory on the hard disk and move there all the shared data. In your case something like sda3/shared-data/zim and sda3/shared-data/didi. Change the home directory of didiwiki when you launch it by specifying the home path (didiwiki --home sda3/shared-data/didi). Zim just asks you when you start the directory that you want to use.

Personally I have a full install of puppy and several frugal. Having my data in a dedicated-single partition on the HD saves me the hell you are through now. I also have a 1Gb-swap partition that eases the load on RAM. This allows me to run big applications even when I'm running puppy in RAM only for testing purposes.

As for file permissions, I always run as root. This is an old topic that pops up every now and then. Major distros discourage the user to operate as root, but as a puppy user I have to tell that I've never had any security issues at all. In case you want to continue using your system as spot then change the permissions of your shared files so that they can be accessed by debian. If you share your machine with others then encrypt the data directory with a proper tool.

And yes, didiwiki is very lightweight and is standard software in several puppy versions. If you have low resources didi and links are great. But the more choice the better. More users may be inclined to using puppy with zim. With it one can export html pages that can be put straight away on the internet as well. At the end of the day the final choice depends on one's needs :wink:

oui

#6 Post by oui »

Hi Ariel

As zim.pet didn't want to start in fatdog64 (trying in rxvt, came only the message 'success' but nothing on the screen and in the menu no zim as in 32 bit puppy's)

I did look on this page http://packages.debian.org/lenny/zim (major dependence appears to be perl, I have fd64-devx_511.sfs on)

and this page http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/zim (major dependence appears to be python, I install python-2.6.4-amd64.pet over fd64-devx_511.sfs to be certain to have it)

and install zim_0.49-1_all.deb

the message did change and produce following error:

# zim
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/zim", line 19, in <module>
import zim
ImportError: No module named zim
#

have you perhaps experience how to solve it?

salut

PS: if it is komplex, I would prefer to continue on German in the German part of the forum as I see that you probably also speak German using gmx as provider :wink: because my English is really poor...

ariel

#7 Post by ariel »

hi oui,

the only thing I can say is that the error you reported after installing zim_0.49-1_all.deb is probably due to python warning you that your zim files aren't in the right directory. But as I cannot put my hands on a 64-bit machine I really cannot help you out. I don't even know which dependencies are already in fatdog or in its devx either :roll:

oui

#8 Post by oui »

Hi Ariel

It works. It is only necessary to use a starter or enter in the command line:

Code: Select all

start32 zim
after the installation of the 32 bit library of course!

bye

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

tried the deb and then the pet
with the pet in Lucid 5.2 I got this:

# ./zim
Failed to open file '/usr/bin/../share/pixmaps/zim/zim.png': Too many levels of symbolic links at /usr/share/perl5/Zim/GUI/Component.pm line 32.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Zim/GUI.pm line 16.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Zim/GUI.pm line 16.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 11) line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 11) line 3.
# 
I have python installed
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

oui

#10 Post by oui »

Hi Lobster
Lobster wrote:tried the deb and then the pet
with the pet in Lucid 5.2 I got this:

# ./zim
Failed to open file '/usr/bin/../share/pixmaps/zim/zim.png': Too many levels of symbolic links at /usr/share/perl5/Zim/GUI/Component.pm line 32.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Zim/GUI.pm line 16.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Zim/GUI.pm line 16.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 11) line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 11) line 3.
# 
I have python installed
what is with the devx.sfs? it doesn't give access to python?

please see also:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 267#496267

ariel

#11 Post by ariel »

the problem reported by lobster isn't due to python but it's something related to perl. I don't know what has been changed in lupu 5.2 but that's the key to the issue.

I have packaged zim with the idea of keeping compatibility with puppy 4. I haven't downloaded lupu 5.2 yet. I'll do it in the days to come and see if I can patch it.

ariel

zim 0.5.0

#12 Post by ariel »

uploaded brand new version.

tested with puppy 5.2 lupu

the package is 43Mb :shock:

for sure something deserves to be cut down...

Subito Piano

Not working in 5.2.5 -- ??

#13 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi! I used the BIG 5.2 version in 5.2.5 -- then it blocked further pets from being added! ("ERROR - pet failed to install.") When i uninstalled, the other pets installed just fine. I also suspect it messed up an earlier attempt at installing Puppy 5.2.5 a few days ago, which i deleted.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

ariel

#14 Post by ariel »

Hi, the problem can be reproduced. I'll look into it.

Subito Piano

#15 Post by Subito Piano »

8) thanks.

ariel

#16 Post by ariel »

zim-0.5.0-lucid repackaged. It's thinner and solves the problem mentioned above.

6Mb compressed.
md5sum: f0ac71113314fcb8e3593b8ac5907fba

Subito Piano

#17 Post by Subito Piano »

WOW! Thanks! Works, no problems, and you put it on a diet, too! :-)

Mirrored here for anyone else who might have trouble with the file hoster (they didn't like my SeaMonkey).

Blessings!

JackWagon

zim 6

#18 Post by JackWagon »

Anyone have a lean and mean Zim pet or sfs for Tahr 6?

Thanks,
JW

Subito Piano

#19 Post by Subito Piano »

Try zim-0.56.linux-i686.pet

Direct download link: here from smokey01's page here. However, methinks i just installed it using Puppy Package Manager, choosing "search all repos." That way it should pull in all dependencies for you.

You should be fine, but as always, if you are concerned about messing anything up, boot Puppy with the pfix=ram option and test it out first.

JackWagon

latest Pet or SFS install

#20 Post by JackWagon »

Thank you Subito Piano!

I tried the .Pet download you suggested. From the TarNOP ver 6.0 command line:
zim
command failed user/bin/zim user/bin/python no file or directory

The package manager shows the install but I could not locate the presumed installed files. :shock:

From the latest updated Tahr, I also tried the package manager install (9) which seemed as if the install did not happen.

Unfortunately, I'm not very fluent in linux but trying to learn, so any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JW