Snail

My xerrs.log

#821 Post by Snail »

Code: Select all

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-25-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux puppypc 2.6.33.2 #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010 i686
Kernel command line: pmedia=atahd psubdir=Luci266
Build Date: 23 April 2010  05:11:50PM
xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7 (Bryce Harrington <bryce@ubuntu.com>) 
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Jul 26 13:21:32 2011
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
/usr/bin/openbox
openbox
Generating /root/.fbpanel/default...
Cannot read file: /root/.retrovolrc
Using defaults...
killall: blinky_tray: no process killed
/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 129:  6884 Terminated              $a
/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 129:  6908 Terminated              $a
killall: traytemp: no process killed
killall: vattery: no process killed
killall: powerapplet_tray: no process killed

(seamonkey-bin:7272): Pango-WARNING **: libthai.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (abiword:27172): WARNING **: Error loading plugin: libaspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** ERROR **: GtkDialog: Could not find the dialog description in the environment variable 'MAIN_DIALOG'.
aborting...
/usr/local/pfind/pfind: line 438: 20864 Aborted                 gtkdialog3 is /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3
EXIT="Ready"
I don't recall seeing this earlier. I have just loaded LibreOffice sfs on the fly and ignored a series of Java-needed messages, any possible connection?

bigpup

#822 Post by bigpup »

Please do not misunderstand.
All of this discussion about xerrs.log is good and looks like something that should be looked at more often in development of programs. Sure is identifying maybe some sloppy coding.
When compiling programs, for Puppy Linux, there is an unwritten rule. If it is not needed leave it out of the compilation. This may be shinning a light on what that will cause to happen.
Sure seems to be a good place to look for clues if a program is not working.

My question or observation. Do these messages indicate something that prevents the program from performing it's designed task?
Like Gnome Mplayer?
It seems to be generating a message that it is trying to load a file that is not there. OK good to know, but what harm is it causing? Does it keep Gnome Mplayer from working?
Do you replace Gnome Mplayer?
Is there any program code that has 100% no bugs?

The point I am trying to make is fix what really matters, not just to eliminate a message in xerrs.log.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#823 Post by bigpup »

Luci 266

Quickpet->more pets

The Dude package is no longer usable. If you install, it will mess up everything.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#824 Post by bigpup »

New version of Pwidgets 2.3.6
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35601

This version fixed the problem with Nathan Wallpaper Setter where Pwiggets was causing the preview window to not show.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 004#547004
Last edited by bigpup on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 06:54, edited 2 times in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#825 Post by 01micko »

Here's my tiny contribution, looks ok with my limited gimping skills!
Attachments
qp-icon.png
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 807 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#826 Post by Béèm »

bigpup wrote:Please do not misunderstand.
All of this discussion about xerrs.log is good and looks like something that should be looked at more often in development of programs. Sure is identifying maybe some sloppy coding.
When compiling programs, for Puppy Linux, there is an unwritten rule. If it is not needed leave it out of the compilation. This may be shinning a light on what that will cause to happen.

My question or observation. Do these messages indicate something that prevents the program from performing it's designed task?
Like Gnome Mplayer?
It seems to be generating a message that it is trying to load a file that is not there. OK good to know, but what harm is it causing? Does it keep Gnome Mplayer from working?
Is there any program code that has 100% no bugs?

The point I am trying to make is fix what really matters, not just to eliminate a message in xerrs.log.
When a nividia lib is called by some code, while not having a nvidia graphics card but a radeon one, indeed there is some 'strange' coding done.
I have this when I start SeaMonkey.
Does it harm?
I don't know, didn't happen before, but I feel my SeaMonkey (2.0.14) isn't so snappy anymore.
So there definitely is some effect maybe.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

DaveS

#827 Post by DaveS »

Playdayz... please add this tiny little file. It is 'dillorc' and belongs in /root/.dillo/
The .pet will install it. It is just the configuration file for Dillo with loads of examples showing how to customise Dillo to make it way more useful. Most of the time, it is only a question of removing the # at the beginning of the comment line. Allows setting of fonts, homepage, startup page, startup geometry, toolbar configuration, on and on.
Attachments
dillorc.pet
(3.27 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

bigpup

#828 Post by bigpup »

Here is a post about the battery indicator in the tray not working.
This post talks about the battery level icons missing that show charge changes.

Anybody having battery charge indication problems?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 202#547202
YaPI(any iso installer)

pemasu

#829 Post by pemasu »

Yes, I had. The BIOS of my Acer 5820TG didnt handle acpi functions at all. Battery status, sleep function were disabled. The second BIOS update fixed the problem. It could be that some Compag BIOSes does not fully support all the acpi functions. Or it could be that just 2.6.33.2 kernel is the reason.
It would be good to get feedback does the battery status work with another kernel version Puppy with those people.

pemasu

#830 Post by pemasu »

Speaking of battery status and cpu temperature and getting the results in to the desktop. Here is mine transparent conky. It shows battery status and cpu temperature among other things. It is fixed to /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg. So transparency uses that default.jpg for transparency.

/etc/conky has conky.white and conky.black for different colors. Default conky.conf uses white colors.

You need to edit /etc/conky/conky.conf rows:
${color white}CPU1: ${cpu cpu1}% ${alignr}${cpubar cpu1 8,60}
${color white}CPU2: ${cpu cpu2}% ${alignr}${cpubar cpu2 8,60}
${color white}CPU3: ${cpu cpu3}% ${alignr}${cpubar cpu3 8,60}
${color white}CPU4: ${cpu cpu4}% ${alignr}${cpubar cpu4 8,60}
to match your cpu count. Add or more probably remove excessive rows, otherwise conky wont start.

Pet adds /root/Startup/conky script which launches the conky.
If you rename conky.black as conky.conf, you need to kill conky first. Killall -9 conky in console do that. Then you can launch conky again by clicking conky script in Startup folder.
Attachments
transparent_conky.jpg
(84.33 KiB) Downloaded 1157 times

pemasu

#831 Post by pemasu »

I have still problems with touchpad oversensitivity. I switched synclient and syndaemon to oneiric ones. They were good with 2.6.39.3 kernel which didnt work properly with lucid synclient.
I also use syndaemon to disable touchpad when writing.
I made installable script for it.

It gives syndaemon instructions to disable touchpad when writing and enable touchpad back quickly after writing is stopped.

These steps helped to get my touchpad working correctly.

Here is the pet for disabling touchpad when writing. Restarting X is needed before syndaemon instructions works or clicking the installed script in /root/Startup.
Attachments
disabletouchpad-001.pet
(633 Bytes) Downloaded 259 times

futwerk

#832 Post by futwerk »

Here are a few fun splash wallpapers for lucid puppy.
Attachments
pupjl26,08sp.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(5.6 KiB) Downloaded 1090 times
pupjl26,07sp.jpg
(5.14 KiB) Downloaded 1079 times
pupjl26,06sp.jpg
(7.63 KiB) Downloaded 1092 times
pupjl26,05sp.jpg
(5.87 KiB) Downloaded 1033 times
pupjl26,04sp.jpg
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 1071 times

playdayz

#833 Post by playdayz »

Please do not misunderstand.

Like Gnome Mplayer?
Well said Bigpup, imho. If a program goes crazy and fills up xerrs.log to MB's that is a problem that has to be fixed (or avoided). Otherwise xerrs.log is an indication of possible problems with a program, but as you say--a couple of error messages is not indicative of a huge problem. It's a good tool and indicator. Many of those messages are for the benefit of the program's authors.

Has anyone installed gnome-mplayer-1.0.3 from the pet I posted and still had the vdpau message in xerrs.log? It certainly fixed it for me.

Zigbert has fixed the bug Snail found in Pfind.

I see several pages for me to read and possibly make some changes. Then I will build the RC, possibly late today or tomorrow.

Cheers.

playdayz

#834 Post by playdayz »

futwerk, pupjl26,06sp.jpg is a hoot. I love it. Are those little earrings on Puppy? In it goes if I can find it on puppyb0x. There is already another of yours in. Thanks.

playdayz

#835 Post by playdayz »

Concerning problems with programs that are not built-in the lucid iso. We have enough to do to check all built-in programs--we can't debug all add-ons. Anyway, the court of last resort is to remove offending programs from the puppy-lucid repo of PPM.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#836 Post by playdayz »

backend_modprobe_fix-1.pet
Got it rerwin. Thanks.

jpeps

#837 Post by jpeps »

playdayz wrote:
Has anyone installed gnome-mplayer-1.0.3 from the pet I posted and still had the vdpau message in xerrs.log? It certainly fixed it for me.
Yes; I posted above. This can be an intermittent problem where lots of fixes seemed to work...and then it pops up again. It varies from system to system (what drivers are loaded, etc., etc).

BTW/ I just noticed the VDPAU error also occurs independently of loading any video player.

James C

#838 Post by James C »

As I posted earlier, I was getting the error just by using SeaMonkey.... no multimedia apps involved.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#839 Post by Béèm »

James C wrote:As I posted earlier, I was getting the error just by using SeaMonkey.... no multimedia apps involved.
Same for me. SeaMonkey 2.0.14
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

bigpup

#840 Post by bigpup »

Here is a good place to look, for needed drivers, if you think that could be the problem getting internet connections with different devices.

Extras for Puppy 5.1 with 2.6.33.2 kernel
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59000
YaPI(any iso installer)