Can Puppy put computer into standby mode?

Booting, installing, newbie
Jpupuser

Can Puppy put computer into standby mode?

#1 Post by Jpupuser »

Hello,

The boot-up time for puppy takes quite a while, and I have to set-up a few things manually after it boots. My fan and harddisk are pretty loud, so I like to turn it off when I sleep.

I was wondering, are there any tools similar to Window's "standby mode" or "sleep mode," where the harddisk shuts down? But instead of rebooting, it pops up back where you were? I think it works by saving the RAM to harddisk, which would make puppy ideal for doing this, but I am no expert, so am not sure.

Thanks!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

How are you booting Puppy, from CD, USB, hard drive? Whichever way, you normally shouldn't have to reconfigure it after it boots, but the cause of your problem may depend on how you're booting.

Jpupuser

#3 Post by Jpupuser »

I am booting from harddrive. I am not worried about reconfiguring, as I know the reason why. The physical connection for my ethernet port is finnicky, so it won't work unless the port is at exactly the right angle. So I need to hold the cable in a precise position for it to read properly. While this works when I configure the ethernet port manually, it doesn't do so well during startup. So I have to wait an extra minute on top of booting for that.

NEWAY, I am not worried about that. What I would like to know is if there is any way to go into "standby" mode or something similar instead of a full shutdown?

papakanush

#4 Post by papakanush »

I am very new to puppy and linux myself, but is the boot-up slow when you boot from a CD ? My experience is that puppy boots up faster than just about anything; even DSL I think. I don't know about a stand-by mode, and the stand-by key on my IBM thinkpad doesn't work when in Puppy. But when I have Puppy on my lap-top and I haven't used it for a bit, the screen goes blank (screen-save) and the fan only runs when its working; so it looks almost like a stand-by mode until I touch a key again.. Its all running off the RAM, so I presume the power consumption is pretty low during that time, though not as low as stand-by.

Jpupuser

#5 Post by Jpupuser »

Well, I am running puppy off my old desktop. I did a HD install using the three files and boot2pup, because I couldn't get it to boot off my USB (I'll wait until puppy 2 is finalized and play with it again), and because I do not have a CD-rw to make my own puppy CD.

Yes, the screen goes blank after a while of inactivity, however the hard drive keeps going and my fan is LOUD. I don't sleep as well when it is on, so I like to stop my hard drive/fan running at night. I don't like rebooting all the time though, especially as I am still booting from a floppy. One of the benefits of linux is its stability, so that reboots become mostly unecessary...

Any thoughts? Is there a way to shut down my hard drive, turn off my fan, etc from puppy without needing to reboot?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

How to suspend and hibernate a laptop under Linux

#6 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

razorblade416@tds.net

Re: How to suspend and hibernate a laptop under Linux

#7 Post by razorblade416@tds.net »

Lobster wrote:this might be useful . . .
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/24/1716222
Forgive me for dragging up an old topic, but I tried everything that article said but I couldn't understand how to make it an executable. It kelp telling me to drag a "shell" to use for it.

I think I might have gotten it to think about running a couple of times in the text editor but it always said that I didn't have permission....

Now I'm beginning to wonder if this even works for desktops. Was anyone else able to get this to work??

EDIT: I finally learned how to set permissions! :D But when I made it executable and ran it I only got a black screen with a blinking light (fan still on). I couldn't even wake it up so I had to manually reboot (I hate having to do that :( ). So unless I did something wrong-- this doesn't work for desktops!

PaulBx1

#8 Post by PaulBx1 »

My laptop goes to sleep just fine. Maybe it's one of those acpi things?

<later> Now I'm not so sure; it might just be the screensaver. But I don't hear the disk either. When I wake it up it is instantaneous, so I think it is just the screensaver.

Actually, Puppy boots so fast, you might as well shut it down when you go to bed...

<later> Now I'm interested in suspend too.