Puppy Squeeze Reborn 4.9.9.1 Alpha 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jim3630

#21 Post by jim3630 »

Iguleder wrote:Yep. The 2.6.39.3 kernel Barry built could solve your problem.

And SNS is Barry's responsibility. As I said - if we track down the bug, the fix gets merged into Woof. I'm against puplet-specific fixes :)
not quite getting it. the problem is not mine. I am one user who is not building a puppy or puplet. I'm testing it for you and subsequently for the use of a greater community. keeping in mind linux was a gift so everyone everywhere could have a quality os with quality programs.

what you are trying to build lacks support for a broadcom wl.ko driver which many people have as it is what comes with new hp laptops around here.

if you do not wish to provide the pet for your build then just say so. if this is some kind of do it yourself guide for folks to buid a puppy themselves as you imply?? then you need to be clear about it. :)

Iguleder

#22 Post by Iguleder »

Hey, calm down.

You got me totally wrong. Realistically speaking, you can't get 100% of users 100% satisfied. I can't provide 5 builds with different kernels and maintain so many packages. I'm human, just like you.

At the moment, the kernel is 2.6.32.x. It's not the latest but it's recent enough for most people and it works well for most users.

In other puppies there's nothing you can do, you'll have to wait for someone to update the kernel or make your own. I give you the option to make your own remix with a kernel that works for you ... that's much better than nothing.

I'm sorry if this isn't the operating system of your dreams, but that's life. Face it, nothing is perfect. And yes, it IS your problem that the driver isn't included. You can solve this problem and you choose not to.

I had exactly the same issues with Lucid. And hey, guess what? I built a kernel that works for me and made my own Lupu build with it.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

jim3630

#23 Post by jim3630 »

Iguleder wrote:Hey, calm down.

You got me totally wrong. Realistically speaking, you can't get 100% of users 100% satisfied. I can't provide 5 builds with different kernels and maintain so many packages. I'm human, just like you.

At the moment, the kernel is 2.6.32.x. It's not the latest but it's recent enough for most people and it works well for most users.

In other puppies there's nothing you can do, you'll have to wait for someone to update the kernel or make your own. I give you the option to make your own remix with a kernel that works for you ... that's much better than nothing.

I'm sorry if this isn't the operating system of your dreams, but that's life. Face it, nothing is perfect. And yes, it IS your problem that the driver isn't included. You can solve this problem and you choose not to.

I had exactly the same issues with Lucid. And hey, guess what? I built a kernel that works for me and made my own Lupu build with it.
all you had to say was no I don't make wifi driver pets I'm making this for me.

pemasu

#24 Post by pemasu »

Code: Select all

ldd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so | grep found
libssl3.so => not found
libsmime3.so => not found
libnss3.so => not found
libnssutil3.so => not found
libplds4.so => not found
libplc4.so => not found
libnspr4.so => not found
I havent gone further yet. Testing more now.

James C

#25 Post by James C »

Moving on along from the other fun.... :lol:

Squeeze Reborn live pfix=ram on the old P3 test box.Sound, internet and display correct and working on initial boot.
First 2 little minor things, Flash Player wouldn't download and no icon for the browser on the desktop. Both easy enough to rectify but thought I'd report them. :)

VIDEO REPORT: Puppy Squeeze, version 4.9.9

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 254980 240616 14364 0 11212
Swap: 1020088 59900 960188
Total: 1275068 300516 974552

Looks pretty good for an alpha release.

James C

#26 Post by James C »

Live pfix=ram on my main Linux box.Once again,everything good on initial boot.Except the browser icon. :lol:

VIDEO REPORT: Puppy Squeeze, version 4.9.9

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nv

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1035MB (218MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 29 Jul 2011 04:49:29 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

Ethernet controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
Multimedia audio controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]

Thing I'll install this on this box a bit later.Looks like a good start.

jim3630

#27 Post by jim3630 »

Iguleder wrote:Hey, calm down.

You contributed 4 or so pets and pieces of code toward lucid 526rc so maybe I got you wrong. and maybe this kernel doesn't work with wl.ko driver for all I know. regardless, I'm here to help as I can and learn. Your assertions about someone else are assumptions at best. I only have 8 os options at boot read some guy had over 100.

upnorth

#28 Post by upnorth »

for libflashplayer:

Earlier, i added symlinks to those supporting libs for flash that i have on a seperate directory on hard drive. To get it to work, for some reason had to put the symlinks in either /usr/lib or /usr/X11R7/lib.

When I put them in /usr/lib/mozilla dir, they wouln't be found. But works fine now.

Added diffutils also. :D

tubeguy

#29 Post by tubeguy »

Awesome. Fast.

First boot no problems, connected already to wired ethernet.

Frugal install on ext3.

Downloaded latest Firefox tar, extracted and runs fine.

Installed Aqualung from PPM squeeze repo, PPM grabbed all dependencies except libcurl3-gnutls_7.21.0-2_i386.deb.

I love aumix.

Downloaded mplayer from PPM squeeze repo, my test avi and mkv files played fine.

Nice wallpaper. :wink:
Attachments
499thumb.jpg
(81.59 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

pemasu

#30 Post by pemasu »

Quick notes. Mplayer and Gnome-mplayer played avi and mp4 movies. Great. Didnt test subtitles yet.
Deadbeef does not play aac files. I havent got playing them with my compiled Deadbeef also. Mplayer plays them ok.
If aac does not work, you can leave those libs out and you get even smaller Deadbeef.
Drive icons lose drive icons after mounting.
Cpu usage in idle is really small with my laptop. Acpitool -s works and resumes.
It didnt work in previous squeeze 2.6.32 build long time ago.
Leaving Gnumeric and Abiword out suits me fine. Including mediaplayer also would be fine addition. In pinboard clicking console icon launches rxvt not aterm.
Trying to find myself with Opera. It sure is fast. Most important thing is that distro has good browser IMHO. Opera serves that function well. If you manage to get icons to Fotoxx menus, tell me the trick also. I like adding Fotoxx to the selection. It deserves more attention that it has got.

Just quick observations. I am glad that squeeze gets worthy build.

James C

#31 Post by James C »

Went ahead and did a quick frugal install, Installed Hardinfo from the Squeeze repo and grabbed the Firefox 5.0.1 tar too.
Time for some tweaking.... :)

edoc

#32 Post by edoc »

Iguleder wrote:Arora depends on Qt
It appears that WebKit is an Apple Qt project?
WebKit is an open source web browser engine. WebKit's HTML and JavaScript code began as a branch of the KHTML and KJS libraries from KDE. As part of KDE framework KHTML was based on Qt but during their porting efforts Apple's engineers made WebKit toolkit independent. QtWebKit is a project aiming at porting this fabulous engine back to Qt.

The Qt port of WebKit currently compiles and runs on Linux (including Maemo and Meego), Windows, Mac OS X and Symbian.
I am looking at alternatives to Opera due to all of the complaints about confusion and conflict in the developer world over there, some very different choices re. the interface, and concerns about its future. Are you satisfied that Opera won't go-weird? FF is getting messy and Seamonkey seems to be following their lead.

BTW: Midori has worked well for me in Fluppy (the initial instability was fixed) but Claws-mail has been a nuisance.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

jim3630

#33 Post by jim3630 »

Iguleder wrote: I'm sorry if this isn't the operating system of your dreams, but that's life. Face it, nothing is perfect. And yes, it IS your problem that the driver isn't included. You can solve this problem and you choose not to.
reading this the question is the solution:
1-compile a wl.ko driver for this kernel? will that driver work with this kernel? wouldn't that be easier than building a different kernel for the driver?

2-if this build is for certain computer platforms, older ones seem to be what your intimating. wouldn't it help to state that in your preamble? Such as fatdog or ligthhouse stating it's for 64 bit machines.

3-if only "experienced" help need apply for testing or those who can compile their own needs. you don't have to be crass about it. saying I'm against puplet-specific fixes Smile in a alpha bug fix thread. is like a doctor saying I'm against medications in a cancer ward.

stu90

#34 Post by stu90 »

Iguleder wrote:No idea, actually. It works just fine here, with my Intel 3150.

In previous Woof versions the resolution detection thingy was messed up and showed every possible resolution and color depth, but now it seems to work.

EDIT: amazing! mplayer2 built just fine! :D

Gonna do another build, this time I'm gonna do it using a build script and aim at size.
Hi Iguleder,
Good news - just done a frugal install and no problems with xorgwizrd on reborn. :D

Downloaded woof again last night and did a squeezed build but that suffered the the xorgwizard problem - so question is what are you doing different on reborn, could this be kernel related? have you uplaoded a .pet anywhere for your 2.6.32.42 kernel?

cheers.

Iguleder

#35 Post by Iguleder »

Pemasu, this isn't rxvt :lol:

stu90, yes, all my kernel packages go here :)

I want to build 2.6.39.x, by the way - wireless problems should be gone with 2.6.38+.

scsijon

Re: Puppy Squeeze Reborn 4.9.9 Alpha 1

#36 Post by scsijon »

Iguleder wrote:The first builds had no applications at all: the only things that came with it were ROX-Filer, JWM and the free space tray icon. I added many packages; all of them were built automatically (using Puppizard), but packaged manually with post-installation script to ensure integration with ROX-Filer and Puppy stuff.
Greetings,

Both stu90 and I setup 525 and 520 puppies with utilities and the like, but no user apps, allowing users to "build their own application set" sts's to load. We saw it as a gain against having a lot of unwanted apps on their systems. It seems to have gone well in the community.

I suppose you wouldn't consider running a parallel dpup line with a minimum package build, especially since your Puppizzard seems to work so well?

Shall download tomorow am when I have plenty of OP Bandwidth free.

And I do like deb, they do just seem somehow to do that little bit extra with their "stable" packages.

regards
scsijon

Iguleder

#37 Post by Iguleder »

Good news, I added Debian's Abiword and Gnumeric. They're more stable than the latest and some people (DaveS :lol:) use them for mission-critical stuff, so we're better stick with Debian's packages.

I also added a small fix for Bluez, an init script which starts bluetoothd and an experimental fix for CUPS.

Once I get those working, I'm going to start working on a newer kernel, preferably 2.6.39. I won't be able to work on it for almost a week (you know, work and stuff), so I want to get all these issues fixed today.

scsijon: don't worry about a barebones build. I documented the package list so it's very easy to strip the applications.

EDIT: wow, great progress. Compiling 2.6.39.3 at the moment, see the first post.

pemasu

#38 Post by pemasu »

Iguleder. Sorry that I misunderstand the console. Yes, it is aterm. I was really tired last night after working previous night at WRC rally championship. Those cars really goes fast in sand roads. You cant believe the speed.

I reapplied the cups printing fixes from previous squeeze thread. It fixed my printing. I copied /etc/cups/cupsd.conf from my Midnight Sun Pup, and copied the whole folder /usr/share/ghostscript/8.71/Resource/Init to this build.

Karl Godt did astonishing print bug hunting at those days. Thank you Karl Godt.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 676#453765

It might be that less stuff in that folder is enough as Karl Godt showed. But I was lazy. So...Cups is not a mess, it just needs some editing and installing of missing stuff.

I will continue today to evaluate this nice gem...

Iguleder

#39 Post by Iguleder »

Canceled the kernel build and moved to my Core 2 Duo machine.

I hope it won't take more than 2 hours, so I can finally build the first testing build of the second alpha :D

And thanks for the fix, will apply it.

pemasu

#40 Post by pemasu »

About Jim3630 wireless wl module problem. Broadcom wl module is not included in any kernel. It is proprietary kernel driver module and it is not straightforward to compile and isntall it. I have used hacked source to compile it.
Also it needs script to disable b43 and ssb modules to be unloaded.

I attached the working script which goes to the /etc/init.d and that patched source I have been using.

So....compiling whatever newer kernel does not fix jim3630 wireless problem. It needs that proprietary driver and script to load it correctly is included.
Remove the phony DOTgz from the script and give it correct permissions after extracting, they are probably screwed.
I havent compiled that driver in 2.6.32 kernel so I dont know if that source works. To do that is somebody else job to find it......

That patched source is maybe for the newer kernels. I attach the original source also....
Attachments
BC-wl.gz
(484 Bytes) Downloaded 323 times
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.