Drivers for Puppy 5.1-5.2.8 with 2.6.33.2 kernel

For drivers and kernel modules.
goolwa_pup

8192cu-k2.6.33.2.pet

#61 Post by goolwa_pup »

Hi Tempestuous, I want to thank you for 8192cu-k2.6.33.2.pet (realtek)..and just want to let you know your work is very much appreciated

this driver worked on Puppy 525 001 update using a mini usb wireless stick on my thinkpad t43 without needing any firmware. It also works on my am3 quad core desktop

tried it on luci262 all good as well

I also tried it on Pemasu's midnight sun 003 but it did not work (different kernel)

With that in mind, I don't know what kernel puppy 5.2.6 will end up using.... (64 bit with 32 bit compatibility i hope) but it would be great if these drivers could be made for whatever kernel(s) 526 ends up with.

tempestuous

#62 Post by tempestuous »

July 23 2011: I just updated the older Ralink rt3070sta USB wifi driver
to support the TP-Link TL-WN321G & the older Tenda W541U, both with USB device ID 148F:2070
See earlier post in this forum thread -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 360#513360

WiZard

#63 Post by WiZard »

I posted this first in House Training/Users, but was referenced to this thread hoping that your success with compiling for the newer kernel could help.
'm trying to compile a usb wireless adapter driver with a RTL8188CUS chipset (uses RTL8192CU driver) . I work on old hardware and use Puppy 4.12. This is my setup:
- Puppy 4.12 frugal install
- 512kb save file
- /mnt/home/devx_412.sfs, confirmed loading from terminal by typing cc command
- /mnt/home/kernel-src-2.6.25.16-patched-puppy4.1.sfs conigured to load in boot manager
- /root/rtl8192CU, the directory containing the driver source supplied with the adapter

I opened a terminal in /root/rtl8192CU and typed make, this is the output:

make ARCH=i386 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/2.6.25.16/build M=/root/rtl8192CU modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/build'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/build'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Thanks
Gary

tempestuous

#64 Post by tempestuous »

It might be that the build script cannot find your kernel sources?
I'm generally unfamiliar with the use of sfs files in a frugal environment, and that may have a bearing??

Here's a thought - upgrade to Puppy 5.2.5 and I have the Realtek wifi driver ready-to-use.
Contrary to popular belief, older Puppy versions (and older kernel versions) do not necessarily work better on older hardware!
From my own observations with a Pentium3-733, Puppy 4.x is no faster/better than Puppy 5.x.
Same applies to Puppy 3.x.

Puppy 2.x, on the other hand, is noticeably faster ... and Puppy 1.0.4 is lightning-fast!

WiZard

#65 Post by WiZard »

tempestuous, guess I can eliminate any problems of the frugal install and sfs files with a full install, can you point me to instructions for adding the development files and kernal resources to a full install? In our case, using 4.12 instead of 5.x isn't a speed issue as much as it would be the hours it would take to recreate and reconfigure the highly modified 4.12 image we are using (goes on refurbrished computers that are donated to non-profit groups). Also, our image now is very close to the 256kb ram limit (we do frugal installs and lots of the computers only have 256kb) and I'm not sure we could get the same functionality in since the 5.x kernel is about 30kb larger than 4.12. I will start setting up a system with a full install to compile the driver and will let you know what happens.

thanks
Gary

WiZard

#66 Post by WiZard »

Woops, kb's should be mb's in my last message

Gary

muggins

#67 Post by muggins »

WiZard,

where are the sources for your driver? On the realtek site it has:
Linux driver for Kernel 2.6.38(and later)

muggins

#68 Post by muggins »

Well the realtek driver compiles without complaint....no idea if it works though.

I've uploaded it here.

After installing, open a console, (Menu>Utility>Rxvt), and enter these commands:

Code: Select all

depmod -a
modprobe 8192cu
Last edited by muggins on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

WiZard

#69 Post by WiZard »

Muggins, the drivers came on cd with the device and are v2.0.1212.20101208 listed to support kernel 2.6.18-2.6.35. I think one of these two links has the same driver if you want to have a go at it.

http://www.wireless-driver.com/realtek- ... r-ver1011/
http://www.userdrivers.com/LAN-Network- ... /download/

Too your second message, "Run depmod -a after modprobing the module" Not sure how to do this.

thanks
Gary

muggins

#70 Post by muggins »

Whoops! My bad...I've edited post above. Thanks.

WiZard

#71 Post by WiZard »

muggins, that did the trick and the device shows in the network wizard and works. I get a message box telling me the selected interface 8192cu does not support WPA which will be needed on many networks. It supports WPA in Windows, is there a way to get WPA to work in Linux? These micro usb wireless adapters are inexpensive and a really great way to add wireless or upgrade to 802.11n from an internal wireless that doesn't support it.

Also, I'm really interested in being able to compile drivers and programs. How were you able to get the driver to compile?

thanks
Gary

muggins

#72 Post by muggins »

@Wizard,

I just extracted the latest driver, from the realtek site, changed to the extracted directory, then ran make.

I suspect the reason you were having problems compiling the module is that you need to first, after getting the kernel source to load, to change directory to /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.16, then run:

make clean
make proper
(Although I think that was what I needed to do with p412....it's been several years since I installed the kernel...hopefully, if I'm wrong, someone will correct.)

Regarding the wpa issue, I'll have to get back to you about that. Give me a day, or so.

pemasu

#73 Post by pemasu »

make clean and make prepare sounds for me more appropriate.

muggins

#74 Post by muggins »

Thanks Pemasu.

tempestuous

#75 Post by tempestuous »

WiZard wrote:I get a message box telling me the selected interface 8192cu does not support WPA
WiZard and muggins,
you need additional network configuration tweaks for your newly-created 8192cu driver to be recognised as WPA-compatible by the Network Wizard.

muggins, I have sent you a gzipped tarball with the extra files, for you to update your dotpet.

WiZard, I have sent you a dotpet which will "hotfix" your current setup.
I don't attach development files to the forum, to avoid pointless downloading by newbies.

If there are any further discussions needed on the subject of the Realtek 8192cu driver, please post them over in the "Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel" thread -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34159
since that's where the discussion is relevant.

Remember, I have already posted the 8192cu driver for Puppy 5.1/5.2.x earlier in this thread.

WiZard

#76 Post by WiZard »

@muggins
I have tested tempestuous's wpa fix and it works perfect.
Also, I have some more questions about compiling the drivers, should they be posted in a different thread?

thanks
Gary

tempestuous

#77 Post by tempestuous »

WiZard wrote:I have some more questions about compiling the drivers, should they be posted in a different thread?
Yes please. This forum thread is for drivers and utilities for Puppy 5.1/5.2; in other words, end-product.
This is not a forum thread to discuss how to achieve that.

tempestuous

#78 Post by tempestuous »

ath9k wifi driver, country-code issues

Like many/most wifi drivers, the ath9k driver queries your wifi adapter's eeprom to discover its country-code, and this component of the driver has been known to fail, resulting in the driver trying to communicate with the wrong range of channels and frequencies for your country. Obviously, you will fail to connect to a wifi access point in this case.

How will you know? When you run the "dmesg" command you will see something like this -
ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a direct regpair map
ath: Country alpha2 being used: xx
or
ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a country code
ath: doing EEPROM country->regdmn map search
ath: Country alpha2 being used: xxx
It's feasible that later versions of the ath9k driver may fix this problem, but a solution in the meantime is to manually specify your country-code. This requires a specially modified version of the ath9k driver, now attached.

UPDATE: DON'T install the rfkill-upgrade dotpet! This is likely to conflict with the modified ath9k driver.

Once you have installed the ath9k driver dotpet, use Geany to open /root/my-documents/ath9k-country-codes.txt
and look up your country-code. For example, Australia is "36".
Now add 32768.
36 + 32768 = 32804 - this is the Atheros country-code value for Australia.

Now change your modprobe configuration file;
for older versions of Puppy use Geany to open /etc/modprobe.conf
or for newer versions of Puppy you must create a new text file in /etc/modprobe.d/
I suggest you call this file "ath9k.conf". Any name will do, as long as it ends in ".conf"
In both cases, add this line -

options ath9k override_eeprom_regdomain=value
Where "value" is the figure we established earlier (32804 for Australia).
Save.

Now reboot, and you should be good.
But it might also be necessary to reset your wifi router, since earlier attempts to connect may have "confused" the router into using the wrong frequency range.
Attachments
ath9k-set-country-k2.6.33.2.pet
for Puppy 5.1 - 5.2.8
(104.08 KiB) Downloaded 787 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 06:26, edited 2 times in total.

tempestuous

#79 Post by tempestuous »

ath5k wifi driver, country-code issues

Same situation as above, but with the ath5k wifi driver.
Follow the instructions above, but when adding the country-code configuration line to your modprobe configuration file, obviously substitute "ath5k" for "ath9k".

And a reminder - DON'T install the rfkill-upgrade dotpet! This is likely to conflict with the modified ath5k driver.
Attachments
ath5k-set-country-k2.6.33.2.pet
for Puppy 5.1 - 5.2.8
(55.3 KiB) Downloaded 752 times

tempestuous

#80 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the jmb38x_xd JMicron jmb38x xD Picture card driver.

The source code was privately emailed to a forum member, details here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 971#563971

As well as the the new xD card driver, 3 other memory stick drivers are upgraded in this package:
jmb38x_ms - JMicron jmb38x MemoryStick driver (supports 2 additional device ID's).
memstick - Sony MemoryStick core driver.
mspro_block - Sony MemoryStickPro block device driver.
Attachments
jmb38x_xd-k2.6.33.2.pet
for Puppy 5.1 - 5.2.8
(48.12 KiB) Downloaded 725 times