which web browser for a old laptop ?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
biloute

which web browser for a old laptop ?

#1 Post by biloute »

hi all,

i've just install the new puppy and it works fine on ma old laptop. (the previous puppy wasn't very fine for wifi).

But what web browser should i install on it ? firefox is too slow.

it's a pentium II 366 mhz, with 128 mo and 20 go. It have a slow video card (videomagic, no hardware acceleration).

i tried dillo, but it's not easy to use.

i've seen midori pet but there are severals pet and i don't know which one i must install.

sorry for my english and thank you.

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

biloute

#3 Post by biloute »

opéra on this old laptop ? :shock:

jakfish

#4 Post by jakfish »

Links. You can get it through the puppy manager, in "Puppy 4"

Fast, renders only a few graphics, no flash, no cookies, no passwords. It's bare bones, but still a gui, as opposed to elinks which is text only.

To run links in gui format, in console:

links -g

I run this with a 600mhz cpu and 114mb RAM and it flies.

Jake

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

I read about one named Uzbl which is Lulz name for Usable and that one is supposed to be small and fast. But not sure how it works on old.

A Unix like??? in thinking browser is Surf that one is very small but kind of limited but could be a way to get something going and then test with while one search for a preferred one. To download and look at text and so on.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

stu90

#6 Post by stu90 »

w3m terminal web browser - can use it just as text mode or if you install feh image viewer you can display images in it as well .

playdayz

#7 Post by playdayz »

i've just install the new puppy and it works fine on ma old laptop. (the previous puppy wasn't very fine for wifi).
Which new Puppy? If it is Lucid 5.2.5 then the browser midori is built-in and might be worth a try. We do not usually recommend it, but you have a special case. The reason we do not usually recommend it is because it does not have the ultimate level of security, so definitely should not be used for financial transactions, banking, etc.

To try it, click 'console' on the desktop to open a terminal and enter midori.

Well, maybe not, I couldn't login to this forum in midori.

To make it look more like a browser, right-click on the top line and choose Menu Bar and then choose View -> Toolbars -> Navigation bar.

rokytnji

Might give QtWeb Browser a shot

#8 Post by rokytnji »

No need for a pet. Just download Linux zip and extract.

I made a new folder in rox file manager named qtweb and extracted files into qtweb folder. Made sure bin was executable using right click properties. Launched it from folder for now. Uses Mozilla plugins but java applets are a no go for now. Login works. Passwords remember works (if enabled in options). Flash works. Don;t use included adblocker in options. It blocks certain sites from completely loading if used (linux questions forum and AntiX forum) in my personal experience.

Just started using it. So that is all I know for now. Light and fast so far.

http://www.qtweb.net/

http://www.qtweb.net/screenshots.php?vi ... category=2

biloute

#9 Post by biloute »

ok, thank you everybody :)

i'll try midori and Qt.

harii4

#10 Post by harii4 »

I have to say:
firedog 3.6 - not too slow and flash works
firepup is faster - i have never gotten the flash to work.
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

mrreality13

#11 Post by mrreality13 »

on a satellite 2535cds p1@.300 mhz w/96 megs ram i use opera 10.11 its slow but best ive found so far for this 10 yr oldl appy.

Hogweed

#12 Post by Hogweed »

Opera runs very well on a 400 Mhz P3 with 192MB under Lucid Puppy 5.2.(Firefox is almost unusable with that config). I would try Opera.

Pelo

Elinks in puplite 5.0

#13 Post by Pelo »

Elinks in puplite 5.0
It's the first attack against newbies... Get away, stranger, you are not welcome... here it's a Linux World , for geek students, speaking not only English, but the linuxian language that newbie has never heard about. Confused

hamoudoudou

Old laptop > old browser, old seamonkey.

#14 Post by hamoudoudou »

biloute is a friend of mine. Old laptop > old browser, old seamonkey. Beleave in me, biloute, and look in the PPM PUPPY 3 ou 4 category browsers.