Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#41 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. I am not familiar yet with that Puppizard. But your error sounds like there is something wrong in that application desktop file. Go to /usr/share/applications, right click that desktop file which is asscociated to the app you try to launch. Open as text. Check the exec row. If there is %U at the end of the execution command, remove them. Save.
In console, run fixmenus and then restart jwm. Restart X is not needed.

James C

#42 Post by James C »

Went ahead and did a quick manual frugal install on the old P3 test box. Once again,everything working on initial boot.

VIDEO REPORT: Puppy Squeeze, version 5.0.0

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 253MB (123MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 31 Jul 2011 05:06:42 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH
Attachments
squeeze 500.png
(148.67 KiB) Downloaded 1514 times

jim3630

#43 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. I am not familiar yet with that Puppizard. But your error sounds like there is something wrong in that application desktop file. Go to /usr/share/applications, right click that desktop file which is asscociated to the app you try to launch. Open as text. Check the exec row. If there is %U at the end of the execution command, remove them. Save.
In console, run fixmenus and then restart jwm. Restart X is not needed.
pemasu, /usr/share/applications/libreoffice multi desktops for 10 different ones but are symlinks>target>/opt/libreoffice3.4/xdg which has the desktop> right click open as text >geany which doesn't give the usual option as you describe. need to open it with something else.

jim3630

#44 Post by jim3630 »

tried changing permissions, fixmenus, restart jwm, no go. so went to those files opennings as text with geany clicked on execute which brought to the line of code where %U is and deleted it on all files, fixmenus, restart jwm and it worked!! so far.

------
puppizard downloaded the file libreoffice-3.4.1-linux_86-install-rpm-en-us-tar-gz then unwrapped it and proceeded to install watching the console it stalled, stopped dead for some minutes. thought was a terminal hang so closed the app, and redownloaded only to watch it stop again at the same place for several minutes. it then created a file "libreoffice-3.4.1-1i586.pxz slowly maybe close to 5min. and finished installing, so be patient.
Attachments
morejoy.png
(21.44 KiB) Downloaded 1509 times
joy.png
(30.58 KiB) Downloaded 780 times
Last edited by jim3630 on Sun 31 Jul 2011, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#45 Post by Béèm »

Installed FRUGALLY with the usual Lin'N'Win method.
I didn't get a desktop.
Even running xorgwizard didn't get me there, always returned to the X prompt.
Did run xorgwizard again and didn't probe but took the vesa driver.
Now I get the desktop. I will have to investigate further to get the radeon driver loaded.

Internet with Frisbee, no problem. I didn't expect one as the 'cold' puppy's running Frisbee never gave a problem.

I noticed, to my pleasure, that when a ROX window is covered by the system tray and I use the slider to browse the window, I don't have corruption anymore. Due to vesa maybe?

I was disappointed that sfs load on the fly isn't included. Did install it.

So I could activate my application environment and the applications are running ok.

What I miss also is PupControl, so I can easily set things like a 24 hour clock.

So far, so good.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#46 Post by Béèm »

I am more and more confused about dpup.
There is Barry's 4.99.2
There is Iguleder's 4.99.1, lower in version n° but maybe higher in functionality. I didn't check.
Iguleder was speaking about he wants to see a 5.0.0
Is this squeeze the one Iguleder is talking about?

If yes, why not have them in the same forum section?
Time savers:

Béèm

#47 Post by Béèm »

Bad things are happening.
I looked into the graphics driver again.
Went to the X prompt and did run xorg wizard.
This time I took choose and loaded the radeon driver having a radeon 7500 graphics card. I got the desktop.
BUT:
My keyboard is in qwerty and in spite I did run the keyboard wizard to choose the Belgian keyboard, it stayed in qwerty.
Not really exiting.

So back to the X prompt to choose the vesa driver.

I suppose I have benefit to run the radeon driver, but how to combine it with the Belgian keyboard?
The xorg.conf doesn't even contain a display/keyboard section, so I can't even force the keyboard this way.
Time savers:

jim3630

#48 Post by jim3630 »

spent some time today working in DebianEdu/Skolelinux which most know is just the debian education desktop ontop of knoppix fully updated to current squeeze stable version.

may not be apples to apples but this Dpup is light speed ahead. Pemasu it's flying.

vanchutr

#49 Post by vanchutr »

Installed FRUGALLY with GRUB4DOS 1.7.
Boot up . I can choose Xvesa (easy)
Connect to Internet with USB-3G - success
Webbrowser Seamonkey 2.2 - runs fast
Thank you, Pemasu
(After me) - Best way is choosen JWM. (I don't like other WM! for many reason)
Loaded successful wine-1.3.25 with sfs_loader.

jim3630

#50 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu, Iguleder's puppizard dependancies are xz and Yad which you have. AdvanceCOMP and OptiPNG are recommended so you might consider adding them if you use it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69248

Puppizard 07 in the repo is the lattest pet could find. Iguleder's work is inspiring.

--------

did new pfix=ram same install but added AdvanceComp, OptiPNG, puppizard 07, puppizard e17, puppizard scripts pets then Libroffice as before and no change. it went to ftp.osuosl.org for libroffice, same several minute stop creating the new file which is about 75M.

got it to work same method. /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-- has about 10 different Libroffice related desktop symlinks>show target>/opt/libreoffice3.4/xdg which has the desktops files> right click open as text >geany>clicked on execute entry on sidebar> line of code where %U is just delete it on all files, save, fixmenus, restart jwm. It works.
Last edited by jim3630 on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#51 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. Great that you got Libre Office working using Puppizard. That was quite an achievement. About optipng and advancecomp. They are needed after you have compiled an package and start to strip it. Iguleders strippkg needs those applications. And they are included in devx sfs already. You need devx sfs if you start to compile. So...I would say they are in right sfs.

Beem. Yes...it is confusing. So I gave different name choices. Pick the one you would like to call this one.

Dpup squeeze started when lenny was stable. It was project led by Iguleder. Then it stopped. Barry made squeezed puppy again when squeeze was stable.
You know the version number. Then Ttuuxxx woofed it and created thread for it. You posted into it about keyboard problems yesterday.

Now....Iguleder has awakened squeeze again. He has used much of his older squeeze specs before squeeze came stable. So...the approach is slightly different than in Barrys build.

This and Iguleders builds use the latest woof which also make these builds slightly different than Ttuuxxx build.

Mine and Iguleders build both use different kernels than Barrys/Ttuuxxx builds. We use 2.6.39.3 but Iguleder use his compile and I use my compile. My kernel is same than in Polarpup 003.

About version numbering. Iguleder has numbereded this version as 5.0.0. It is beta version. I have used specs of that 5.0.0.
So...Iguleder has quite big a lead on squeeze, I refer to his thread at first time before Barry gave a shot on squeeze. Squeeze is now stable and now the packages dont change. Thing are partly the same but some thing dont behave as they did when this squeeze started first time.

What should this be called. This is test version using Iguleders specs. We test this one, give feedback of thing which work and which dont. We try to improve this.
Where should I post. this one. This is puplet based on Iguleders post. I like to post puplets here. Iguleder still lead the project in Puppy project section.
It was just my choice to post it here. Anyway....This is still experimental project. I have posted my Ice Puppy experimental project also here. It lead finally to the 2.6.39.3 kernel when Barry started to solve our finding of non booting usb media and I conclude that project was success at last. I have now good specs for kernel.

I hope this experimental project gives information which benefit Iguleder in his squeeze saga and also gives he motivation to continue with it.

jim3630

#52 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. Great that you got Libre Office working using Puppizard. That was quite an achievement. About optipng and advancecomp. They are needed after you have compiled an package and start to strip it. Iguleders strippkg needs those applications. And they are included in devx sfs already. You need devx sfs if you start to compile. So...I would say they are in right sfs.

I added to my above post while your posting. that's good to know.

jim3630

#53 Post by jim3630 »

I'd called it Northern Lights Dpup and keep it here with the rest of the herd.

jim3630

#54 Post by jim3630 »

dup

jim3630

#55 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:About optipng and advancecomp. They are needed after you have compiled an package and start to strip it. Iguleders strippkg needs those applications. And they are included in devx sfs already. You need devx sfs if you start to compile. So...I would say they are in right sfs.
Libroffice initial download tar.gz was 146m iirc then it created 2nd file 75M so wonder if puppizard having the two optipng and advancecomp auto stripped down the program?

Iguleder

#56 Post by Iguleder »

The devx contains both. Run "advdef", "advpng" and "optipng" to be sure, these are the ones you need.

Yes, Puppizard strips all packages it encounters :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

jim3630

#57 Post by jim3630 »

Iguleder wrote:The devx contains both. Run "advdef", "advpng" and "optipng" to be sure, these are the ones you need.

Yes, Puppizard strips all packages it encounters :)
truly excellent.

jim3630

#58 Post by jim3630 »

universal installer misreads ext4 as ext3. do like xaos.

James C

#59 Post by James C »

Having an interesting early morning, booted up one of my old P3's.... a dual-boot with Windows 2000 and Antix 11.You guessed it, something is borked and Windows refuses to boot.Luckily Antix is still good so it's goodbye to Windows. :lol:
Needed to test Gparted and the installer anyway. :)

A couple of minutes later....full install of Squeeze on Ext3 is booting on an old P3. Report later.

James C

#60 Post by James C »

Full install on an old P3. No problems with Gparted or the installer. Everything working on initial boot.

VIDEO REPORT: Puppy Squeeze, version 5.0.0

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82815 Chipset Graphics Controller (CGC)

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 512MB (94MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon 01 Aug 2011 02:24:26 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801BA-ICH2

VGA compatible controller : Intel Corporation 82815 Chipset Graphics Controller
Multimedia audio controller : Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
Ethernet controller : 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]

Using less than 40 mb of ram at idle....pretty impressive.
Attachments
Squeeze 500.png
(150.74 KiB) Downloaded 976 times