Booting 1.0.3 on laptop: hangs at USB recognition step.

Booting, installing, newbie
manpreetpasricha

Booting 1.0.3 on laptop: hangs at USB recognition step.

#1 Post by manpreetpasricha »

I downloaded iso puppy 1.0.3, burnt it's on cd. inserted the cd into cdrom drive. booting process started very well with the face of puppy.Every thing is going very well in booting suddenly in the middle of booting with black backgroung booting process has stopped. Nothing is happening. It has just mounted some USB component. tried it three times with same results. Done on hp pentium mobile laptop ram 256,p-m 1.5 gz, OS windows xp home. What could be problem?

duke

#2 Post by duke »

this is the exact same problem io faced, straight after the usb line it halted, i rebooted my computer and it went ok .. then again it did after afew rebbots. this mostly happens when i run from the hard drive. run from the live cd and then intsall to hardrdrive .i rthink its a device error some bad sectors on hard disk

danleff

#3 Post by danleff »

Folks probably are tired of hearing this from me, but the speed that you burn the iso at makes a world of difference.

Laptops cdrom drives are especially a problem at times.

So are the media that you use. They must be high quality media.

Make sure that you burn the iso image at 4x or less.

Less if you are using a cdrw media, which older cdrom drives and some laptop cdrom drives have fits with.

What's confusing, is that the process starts, but then stops, so you think that the media burn is not to blame. But this is quite common. If the media, at any point, can't be read properly (or has not been read properly and loaded into ram), then the system hangs.

It's not unusual that the download could be corrupt, so you did not get a valid iso image. This can happen more often with dialup, where the process is interrupted, then resumes. Checking the md5sum of the iso file is important, once you downloaded the iso file. This assures that you got a good download.

Laptop hardware is sometimes to blame also. Just look at the posts on this forum about laptop video problems.

Are there any USB devices attached to the laptop at all?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

ezeze5000

puppy boot info

#4 Post by ezeze5000 »

The speed that you burn the iso at makes a world of difference.

And make sure you close the session, a lot of older CDRoms can't
read the disk properly if it isn't.

You might check your BIOS settings concerning the USB settings, see
if the "legacy USB setting is checked". I have had problems with this
setting.

I hope this helps.

VSh

Re: puppy boot info

#5 Post by VSh »

ezeze5000 wrote:And make sure you close the session...
ISO burning always closes the session.

ezeze5000

iso burning

#6 Post by ezeze5000 »

VSh wrote:

ISO burning always closes the session.

Not true if your using Gcombust.

It's very easy to tic the wrong boxes and get an improper burn.

With Gcombust you can burn an ISO and leave the session open.
This is for puppy multisession CD's.

VSh

Re: iso burning

#7 Post by VSh »

ezeze5000 wrote:With Gcombust you can burn an ISO and leave the session open.
This is for puppy multisession CD's.
You can leave the disk open, but not the session.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#8 Post by nduanetesh »

(typed this in before the post above showed up on my 'puter...don't know why, based on the time stamps of the posts. anyway, you're right, disk open, session closed. I'll leave the post below, though, in case someone finds it useful. ND)

Nero 6 (in windows) also does not automatically close the session. When you double click on an ISO and it opens in nero, the first window you see has an option "Finalize CD". If left unchecked, your CD will not be closed (that is, it will be a multisession CD).

ND

Glitchman

Same problem here

#9 Post by Glitchman »

I seem to have the same problem on an old Pentium. Puppy 1.0.3 just hangs during the boot process while allegedly trying to dismount some USB device. I was able to boot it just fine with an older version of Puppy. (1.0.2?) Oh well, at least it always boots fine on my main PC.