Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1181 Post by playdayz »

I get no errors in xerrs.log if I use gnome-mplayer in pupradio.
My theory now is that those are not errors, even though they are written to xerrs.log, unless that makes them errors by definition ;-) Yes, we do want to get rid of them. I think they are information from mplayer that the frontend can use, for instance, as gnome-mplayer does to report on the percentage of cache fill.

One can see in the mplayer command line above that gnome-mplayer send the -quiet option, but that is still more info than we want.

James C

#1182 Post by James C »

Quick manual frugal install on my main Athlon XP box.Everything working on boot as usual.

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 268

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
30896 frames in 5.0 seconds
30397 frames in 5.0 seconds
31639 frames in 5.0 seconds
30767 frames in 5.0 seconds
30071 frames in 5.0 seconds
30355 frames in 5.0 seconds

playdayz

#1183 Post by playdayz »

Quick manual frugal install on my main Athlon XP box
Thanks JamesC. It is always good to get your quicker than quick feedback.

yarddog

Lucid Puppy Luci-268

#1184 Post by yarddog »

created luci-268 iso from lucid 526 iso and delta files 526-268

Live cd booted just fine - sound working properly and ethernet set up correctly

did quick full install to ext4 partition and rebooted. Very fast on startup
added my usual pets from save bucket and everything working great so far

Good Job!

yarddog

scsijon

#1185 Post by scsijon »

I admit I haven't looked into it, but what version of Gnome are we using, is it Gnome3 and if so could that be part of the problem?

I notice that even Linus Torvalds is less than happy with Gnome3 and wants a fork back to Gnome2. (comments like “Could you also fork gnome, and support a gnome-2 environment? I want my sane interfaces back. I have yet to meet anybody who likes the unholy mess that is gnome-3.

bigpup

#1186 Post by bigpup »

Wallpaper for consideration.
Attachments
1185-smart-mouse.jpg
(78.39 KiB) Downloaded 1166 times
717-fool-pinguin.jpg
(74.51 KiB) Downloaded 1157 times
Last edited by bigpup on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#1187 Post by James C »

Installed the new and improved PupRadio, tried both PupRadio and PupTelly in both MPlayer and Gnome MPlayer...... no messages in xerrs.log.

Used Dillo for a couple of minutes and got 13,000 lines though...... :lol:

Sage

#1188 Post by Sage »

Little bit of polish for 268?
- the panel to select default browser isn't popping up any more? Dillo or bust?
- nluug hasn't been re-introduced into the list of d/l sites
- some ambiguity when clicking the little firewall tray icon
- please note: I am not engaging in my usual ploy of provoking Americans by suggesting GMT of the Greenwich, London, England, UK be used for location/k-b/w.h.y. defaults. Just think it would be a very nice idea to make Peranjori the default, esp. as this will not entail any changes to the default timezone setting! This one belongs to Oz!

FULL upgrade seems a lot less than satisfactory. Loads of previous version stuff is retained, even when subsequently fixed/updated/upgraded. Prime example is the tray sound icon showing x-out when retrovol actually works, corrected by previous fixes. This is a tough call in compact distro and I have another HD to install a new FULL - this is just a testing HD. The code seems unable to decide what to keep, what to delete. This doesn't happen with the major distros, but then...

aarf

#1189 Post by aarf »

startmount with nag screenswitched off doesnt mount drive until you symlink the /root/.startmount/mount-drives.sh to /root/startup
mick0 knows about this or i have pointed it out before

01micko

#1190 Post by 01micko »

aarf wrote:startmount with nag screenswitched off doesnt mount drive until you symlink the /root/.startmount/mount-drives.sh to /root/startup
mick0 knows about this or i have pointed it out before
yeah sorry aarf, i haven't had a great deal of time.. however it is working for me (nag disabled) using a sata hard drive.. do you think it could be a usb drive issue?.. [anyways, best carry on in the startmount thread, probably too late for next lupu]
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1191 Post by Lobster »

blackpup gtk theme displays menu items of black text on
very dark background
effectively invisible
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rerwin

#1192 Post by rerwin »

Sage wrote:FULL upgrade seems a lot less than satisfactory. Loads of previous version stuff is retained, even when subsequently fixed/updated/upgraded. Prime example is the tray sound icon showing x-out when retrovol actually works, corrected by previous fixes. This is a tough call in compact distro and I have another HD to install a new FULL - this is just a testing HD. The code seems unable to decide what to keep, what to delete. This doesn't happen with the major distros, but then...
Thanks for bringing this up. This is something I would like to work on, but would require your assistance in identifying all of the unwanted files. The simplest extension to what we already have would be to add more files to remove during updating. What is in there now are files related to the areas I consider myself to be responsible for that appeared in previous puppies, so adding cleanup of other basic puppy functions would be consistent with what we have. The goal would be to remove old-puppy residue (files, that is) but not user-installed updates, which should be uninstalled prior to an upgrade.

We can do this by PM, so as to not hijack this thread. Or start a new project thread if we need to do it in public. Anyone else with concerns about upgrading full installations would be welcome to join in.
Richard

aarf

#1193 Post by aarf »

01micko wrote:
yeah sorry aarf, i haven't had a great deal of time.. however it is working for me (nag disabled) using a sata hard drive.. do you think it could be a usb drive issue?.. [anyways, best carry on in the startmount thread, probably too late for next lupu]
@micko i do undersand you have vast amounts of things to keep up to date and this is only a minor part of the whole.
the problem: for me it is just guessing. it is my internal sdcard that wont mount partitions as is..
.this code in /root/Startup/start-mount.sh

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
sleep 2
. /root/.startmount/exec 2>/dev/null
points to what i see as an empty file at . /root/.startmount/exec
how it gets to be empty or if it is empty only when viewed in geany i dont know. attached a zip of my .startmount. after configuation for mounting sdb3 has been done.
Attachments
startmount.tar.gz
(1015 Bytes) Downloaded 277 times

Jim1911

#1194 Post by Jim1911 »

Manual frugal installation has been working flawlessly both the base distribution and many added programs. Great work, many nice additional utilities and it is fast and stable and bug free until I tried to burn an iso.

I reported earlier the same problem with 526. Trying to use Burniso2cd, when OK is pressed, the Usage for xdialog screen instead of the proper screen appears. Before, when this happened I had not created a save file and after creating a save file it operated as it should. This time it happened with a save file. Since I had added many programs, I created a new manual installation, a new save file with no additions to boot files, and tried again. See results below.

Apparantly, the problem is associated with my DVD drive not being detected. It should be showing since there is a disk in the drive.

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(56.01 KiB) Downloaded 970 times

Sage

#1195 Post by Sage »

This is something I would like to work on, but would require your assistance
Oooh! Well outside my comfort zone, would need a lot of hand-holding and some other guys peering over my shoulder for when I do stupid things. Build you a dozen PCs in 20mins instead?
Let's see if there would be a quorum...

aarf

#1196 Post by aarf »

luci268 opera-next crashing with many windows open but playing chess with the embedded java applet at http://www.freechess.org/Login/jin/applet.php this has never happened before luci268. before i could play for hours and it would never crash. has crashed now in luci268 three times in say 2 hours. error log below . flashplayer not installed.
crash kills both opera-next and the opened java window.both just disappear instantly. luci268 remains running as normal. and can restart opera-next. no crash log for opera-next is produced in /var/tmp which is what would normally happen for opera crashes but opera-next notes that it has crashed when restarted.

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-25-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux puppypc 2.6.33.2 #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010 i686
Kernel command line: phome=luci268 psubdir=luci268 pfix=fsck
Build Date: 23 April 2010 05:11:50PM
xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7 (Bryce Harrington <bryce@ubuntu.com>)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Aug 4 19:56:36 2011
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
/usr/bin/openbox
openbox
Generating /root/.fbpanel/default...
Cannot read file: /root/.retrovolrc
Using defaults...
killall: blinky_tray: no process killed
/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 129: 6988 Terminated $a
/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 129: 7336 Terminated $a
killall: traytemp: no process killed
killall: vattery: no process killed
/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 129: 7342 Terminated $a
EXIT="Interface_wlan0"
EXIT="Exit on mouse-over"
/usr/sbin/sns: line 350: kill: (8731) - No such process
EXIT="Exit on mouse-over"
/usr/sbin/sns: line 603: kill: (9098) - No such process
/usr/sbin/sfs_load: line 622: 7998 Terminated gtkdialog3 -p DIALOG -c > /dev/null
/usr/sbin/sfs_load: line 191: 9040 Terminated gtkdialog3 -p DIALOG -c > /dev/null
/usr/sbin/sfs_load: line 622: 9420 Terminated gtkdialog3 -p DIALOG -c > /dev/null

(operapluginwrapper:10456): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1600034 unexpectedly destroyed

(operapluginwrapper:10456): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x160001e unexpectedly destroyed
The program 'operapluginwrapper' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
(Details: serial 758 error_code 3 request_code 18 minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

(operapluginwrapper:3912): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1c0001a unexpectedly destroyed

(operapluginwrapper:3912): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1c00003 unexpectedly destroyed
The program 'operapluginwrapper' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
(Details: serial 520 error_code 3 request_code 18 minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

noryb009

#1197 Post by noryb009 »

luci268 opera-next crashing
Can you reproduce this in the stable version of opera? Opera-next is usually buggy.
[url=https://github.com/noryb009/lick/releases/latest]LICK - Install Puppy Linux from Windows[/url]

stu90

#1198 Post by stu90 »

Opera Next 12 is a pre alpha - crashing is to be expected, you should get a error report to send in when it crashes.

nooby

#1199 Post by nooby »

Luci-268 worked well on the Acer D250 Netbook. I made use of FireFox 5.0

Did not test Opera I am too lazy at the moment :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

aarf

#1200 Post by aarf »

this is the version of opera-next i am using: opera-next-11.50-1040. it is manually installed (from .bz2 ) portable outside the pupsave and i use the exact same opera-next in every puppy
About Opera
Version information
Version
11.50 beta

Build

Platform
Linux

System
i686, 2.6.33.2

Browser identification

Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; Edition Next; en) Presto/2.8.165 Version/11.50
Paths
Preferences
/mnt/sdb3/opera-next-11.50-1040.i386.linux/profile/operaprefs.ini
it says it updates by itself but i dont think it does. when they release new candidates i check for updates frommy version and it says i am using the latest version. anyhow i have been using this opera-next version since it came out and as i said it hasnt crashed in this manner before. one reason i havent updated it is because it is as stable or more so than any opera, of any version, that i have used in a very long while. i had previously been updating opera manually very frequently.
the error log says it is a x windows crash/bug causing the problem. opera-next is the only browers i have used in luci268.
pre luci268 this version does generate crash reports but mostly it hasnt actually cashed. i go into /var/tmp and delete them periodically. i did check after the luci268 and there were no crash reports in /var/tmp..
Last edited by aarf on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 22:06, edited 3 times in total.