Pussy: potentially a Puppy with a perfect package manager

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john3voltas

#101 Post by john3voltas »

Ok, about my pussy wifi issues, I thought I'd paste here a full dmesg right after my computer finishes booting pussy:
http://pastebin.com/1NbSzx76

And this is a dmesg after I setup wlan0 as my wifi adapter:
http://pastebin.com/2UCDwcFd

Does this help figuring out what's wrong?
Bear in mind that my adapter is an intel 3945 which should work with either ipw3945 or iwlwifi.
TIA
Cheers

SimpleWater

#102 Post by SimpleWater »

I would just like to let you know, that here in the USA, the word "pussy" is used highly inappropriately and offensively. Type "Pussy linux" in google" too see what i speak of.

Other than that the OS is good 8)

Hugh

#103 Post by Hugh »

While it is true that the word "pussy" has
been given new meanings as slang we
should not be fearful of using the word
in its original and legitimate sense.

What is intended to be "offensive" or
"inappropriate" is generally readily
discernible through subject matter and
context.

It would be a shame to lose another good
word to the "word hooligans."
Various Old Computers 100MHz - 1.9GHz
First Puppy: 2.00 Presently: TahrPup 6.0.3
HDD Filesystem: FAT32/ext3; Frugal Always

john3voltas

#104 Post by john3voltas »

Sickgut,
Menu > Reboot doesn't work.
And it looks like my wifi adapter's firmware file is not loaded into pussy?

iwlwifi-3945-1.ucode firmware file req failed: -2

Cheers

john3voltas

#105 Post by john3voltas »

Ok, it works now with the help of chum_bucket.
Searched for the files in this wiki http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backpo ... i/filelist.
Since I couldn't find them had to install the firmware files using this package http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backpo ... i/download
Launched 'Network' applet again, configured wlan0, my networks appeared, selected my network AND had to manually set the DNS server with the same IP of my router (as Sickgut had already mentioned) and write down my WPA2 passphrase. Also, I set the 'automatically connect to this network'.
Restarted the 'Network' applet and voila, wifi working.
Piece of cake.
Cheers

john3voltas

#106 Post by john3voltas »

Darn.
Something must have got corrupted on my Pussy usb pendisk.
Yesterday it was working fine.
Had already installed iceweasel, irssi, acpid and I saved to file without any issues.
Today I booted again from my pen and it just seems that my savefile is either missing or corrupted because my wifi is gone again and when I startx, I don't see any Pussy stuff, only JWM stuff and ROX filer is missing.
I'll reflash Pussy on the usb disk and start all over to see if it happens again.
Cheers

sickgut

missing menu stuff

#107 Post by sickgut »

john3voltas: this issue with the jwm menu thing is addressed in the patch on the site, download it follow instructions, basicly its a replacement template for the jwm menus, other wise when you install new stuff all the custom pussy entries are lost as it rescans all the programs you have installed and sets up a completely new menu system its a reall pain in the butt how it does that, but yeah install the patch and your menus will be back. This menu issue can kinda make it look like you lost your save file but everything will be fine again after the application of the patch

after you install it (just dragging one file to a dir like is says in the instructions), just type in a teminal: update-menus
restart your x session and you wont have that jwm menu problem again, it will remember everything you had before and will update correctly from now on, ofc this patch will be in the next version.

once this is all working have a look at your WICD thing again let me know if any trouble. I may only be here every 2nd day at the moment till i get my own internet plan

sickgut

#108 Post by sickgut »

john3voltas wrote:Sickgut,
Menu > Reboot doesn't work.
And it looks like my wifi adapter's firmware file is not loaded into pussy?

iwlwifi-3945-1.ucode firmware file req failed: -2

Cheers
Hi John3voltas
yeah i think thats just a JWM restart, restarts the window manager not your computer

john3voltas

#109 Post by john3voltas »

What about the firmware files missing?
Many wifi adapters need firmware files to work in Linux.
It's not like upgrading their firmware, it's something very close to a driver.
Can you take a closer look to this?
Oh, and how's the new Alpha/Beta coming?
Are you keeping a change log that you can share with us?
Cheers

sickgut

online help

#110 Post by sickgut »

Just a note to help people with online support:

Pussy IS debian and there is nothing that makes it NOT debian, its just a lot of debian thats been made to kinda try to look and work like Puppy.
This means that you can get support (wifi seems to be a support "hot spot" :) ) from the debian and debian life IRC channels.

the debian one is on the same freenode server as the puppy one so when you login to puppy support irc just type /join #debian and you will then have debian support line. Carefull tho they are kinda uptight there and all chatting has to be on topic, not as friendly as the Puppy community im afraid. Puppy community rocks compared to any other community, seriously it does.

The other help line is the debian-live one. This is more use full for stuff like save files and other help or setting up partitions to use with the debian live or things like the custom boot codes etc etc

irc.debian.org #debian-live <--- this is where to get debian-live help.

If things get technical then you might need to provide some info for them to help you.

kernel version: debian squeeze 2.6.32-5-bigmem
The /usr/share/doc/ dir is empty (to save space)
The default boot tags are: noautologin swapon quickreboot noprompt (toram is added to this when you boot with the copy to ram option)

sickgut

#111 Post by sickgut »

john3voltas wrote:What about the firmware files missing?
Many wifi adapters need firmware files to work in Linux.
It's not like upgrading their firmware, it's something very close to a driver.
Can you take a closer look to this?
Oh, and how's the new Alpha/Beta coming?
Are you keeping a change log that you can share with us?
Cheers
As i under stand it, most firmware stuff for wifi things are on the debian packages site. http://packages.debian.org
once you find the firm ware you need you just apt-get update then apt-get install packages-name-of-the-firmware

and your good to go. If there are common wifi cardfs not supported in pussy by default, that should really be supported, ill either place the firmware packes for them in the /addon dir of the live media so the user can just click and install them (this will reduce bloat in the system if you dont really need these firmwares) or depending on the information i can find on this subject, if it makes no appreciateable difference to bloat or it makes no bad things happen as far as kernel compatibility goes then ill just put every damn wifi firmware i can find in the next version.

The next version will be a beta, and it will have the 67mb the 207mb versions available too, also with any fixes to problems that are currently being discussed on this forum. Mostly to do with mobile 3g and dialup and wifi driver and or wifi connection wizzards, but also will have detailed swapfile and save file options in the catroll-panel as well as Putty and ISOmaster (2 things i overlooked that really should be in the main pussyos.squashfile ie, the main OS squashfile), also more clearer documentation on the site and in the OS as well as a more comprehensive list of what is actually in Pussy... alot of people dont know about the anyterm web to ssh interface app and the telnet and sshd and http servers and also the extremely extensive list of commandline utilities and commands (Puppy is missing quite alot of these), it has Python 2.6 and framebuffer accellerated console (you can do most tasts at the console with no x session, watch dvds, websurf, everything...).
One main difference to Puppy is that Pussy has retained absolutely every single technical feature to its parent debian even tho its slimmed down, there is no loss of functionality at all, I am wanting Pussy to be equally good as a server, a commandline and development OS as well as a desktop OS. A propper HDD install script and usb install script will hopefully be in the beta, this will allow us to only have the ISO version, not have to have the .img and the .iso.

I would say that the beta version is a few months away atleast, however setting up forums on my website or using a free forum service so that Pussy has its own forums to help with the process of ironing out problems is number 1 on my list, because i see this as the best means of gathering info so we can make Pussy good.

john3voltas

#112 Post by john3voltas »

Forums are very easy to setup.
You can setup any forum in less than 5 minutes in your own webspace.
I'd say one of the meanest out there is FluxBB. It's slick and fast and lightweight.
But you can go with anything from SimpleMachinesForum to phpBB.
It is damn easy to set them all up :).
Cheers

john3voltas

#113 Post by john3voltas »

Now my JWM menu has a "Debian" entry as well as a "I cAn HaZ MoAh PrOgrAmZ?"
I would post a printscreen but my printscreen button fails to work in Pussy (works fine in other OSs).

john3voltas

#114 Post by john3voltas »

Ok, the "possibly corrupted" savefile issue just happened to me again.
I had reflashed my USB pendisk with Pussy, copy and installed the patch you mentioned from a another partition (previously downloaded), copied the previously downloaded iwlwifi firmware files, configured wifi for my network, updated apt database (apt-get update) and installed IRSSI from Debian's repos.
I kept updating the savefile using the cat-roll panel.
I must have used the PC for a couple of hours and rebooted to use Puppy Lucid 3 or 4 times.
Now the "iwlwifi-3945-1.ucode firmware file req failed: -2" messages are back and my wifi firmware files are gone as well as IRSSI.
So, either my pendisk collapsed (been only using it for the last 12 months).
Or there's something wrong with the savefile.
This time around I am not reflashing the pendisk until further advise, sickgut.
Cheers

aarf

#115 Post by aarf »

john3voltas wrote:Forums are very easy to setup.
You can setup any forum in less than 5 minutes in your own webspace.
I'd say one of the meanest out there is FluxBB. It's slick and fast and lightweight.
But you can go with anything from SimpleMachinesForum to phpBB.
It is damn easy to set them all up :).
Cheers
haven't done it for a while but agree it is easy when you have php and mysql.
my dice is for simplemachinesforum. it was the best way back when i had a lot of experience with forums, so assume it is still good. havent had any experience at all with FluxBB it wasnt around that i knew of at the time i was looking. so cant give comment there.

john3voltas

#116 Post by john3voltas »

Ok, it's not my pendisk because I tried another pendisk and it just happened to me again.
And it's not the PC either because it happened to me on my wife's netbook too.
So, this is closing in.
Either I am the only one making a huge mistake using Pussy, or there aren't that many people testing it.
Guys, can you tell us if you're actually testing Pussy? Just raise your hand and tell us if you've bumped into any other issues besides wifi.
Thanks a bunch.
Cheers

john3voltas

#117 Post by john3voltas »

I've been trying this http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard#Change_Keyboard_Layout to change my keyboard to Portuguese.
Unfortunately the only layout that shows up is USA.
Can you please consider adding other country layouts into Pussy?
TIA
Cheers

aarf

#118 Post by aarf »

i have so much that i could be doing now that i do nothing at all except play chess online. must be the planatary arrangement.

john3voltas

#119 Post by john3voltas »

This has definitely to do with the savefile.
When I first save to the savefile it takes 10-15 seconds to save.
But when the issue kicks in, saving to the savefile takes 1-2 seconds.
Today, i started out a new Pussy install on a pendisk, I looked at the savefile and it was 23MBs. I installed wifi, customized Seamonkey, saved to the savefile and it turned 13MBs.
Then I rebooted, and when I looked at /live/image/live the savefile was simply gone.
All other files are still there, but not the savefile...
The weird stuff is, my wifi firmware files were gone with the gone savefile, but my Seamonkey customizations were still there :o.
I'm clueless on what's going on here.
Cheers

john3voltas

#120 Post by john3voltas »

aarf wrote:i have so much that i could be doing now that i do nothing at all except play chess online. must be the planatary arrangement.
Which one? The one that brings 2012 doomsday with it? lol