fotowall-0.9

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
Dingo

fotowall-0.9

#1 Post by Dingo »

fotowall-0.9 (for Puppy Linux 5.2.5)
- http://www.dokupuppylinux.co.cc/programs:photo_tools
- direct download
Fotowall is a fun tool for creating graphics by mixing some of your favorite pictures in a nice and smooth high resolution composition.

Check out the new homepage on:
- http://www.enricoros.com/opensource/fotowall/

The interface is intuitive:
- just push the 'help' or 'tutorial' buttons to get started
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

This is another static QT app, isn't it?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Dingo

#3 Post by Dingo »

disciple wrote:This is another static QT app, isn't it?
yes is built on STATIC QT4 libs, but since it needs some extra shared dependencies from libstdc++, only works in Lucid Puppy

the advantages are reduced to no needing to install QT4 libraries
dropbox 2GB free

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Sorry to get off topic, but since you're making so many static packages, I'd like to ask:
the advantages are reduced to no needing to install QT4 libraries
What other advantages would there be otherwise? Static packages eliminate the user's ability to try to run a program against incompatible libraries, but what else is there?

I think static packages are madness unless the user is only going to have one program which uses the library (so for very common dependencies like QT4 they will almost always be madness).

There are many disadvantages:
- all packages need to be updated if a bug in the static library is fixed
- larger downloads
- more hard disk space required
- more memory required, because you can run many programs using the same shared library, and it is only loaded into memory once*, but if you run many programs using the same static library then it is loaded into memory again for every single program (also note that when a upxed program is run, it is uncompressed to be loaded into memory), so if a user runs a number of these static QT apps then they will consume a significant amount of memory - not in the spirit of Puppy IMNSHO.

* Note that programs like top do not take this into account, so they report the memory usage of each program as including that of all shared libraries - so the actual physical memory usage will be less than the sum of that reported for all apps by top.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

BTW, I presume you're familiar with the QT apps in this old thread?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Dingo

#6 Post by Dingo »

yes I seen

the main purpose of making STATIC QT packages is giving ability to users of Puppy 2.14, 3.01, 4.3.x series, to use (if they need or want) to use packages otherwise not available for their puppy version, without needing to install additional QT4 libs or not available in their series or potentially dangerous for system (if they already have QT3)

QT STATIC are the *extrema ratio* for user, when he runs happily a good old puppy version but he need to use a program built on latest QT4 libs

let do an example: I run since 2007 Puppy 3.01, but when I need strictly a program built on latest QT4 libs, I start Lucid Puppy, compile STATICALLY and then, if it has no other relevant dependencies, I can use the program built statically in my good old Puppy 3.01 without fear to break system installing latest QT4 libs (if available), or crying because I can't build latest QT4 (that need a gcc newer than gcc contained in Puppy 3.01-4.3.1)

I also figured to insert a postinstall script in static qt packages, to ask in a x(gx) message window, if user want to move qt static executable outside puppy save, but then I preferred to not include; anyone can move outside puppy save if wants

all this because Puppy, we know, is different from Ubuntu that abandon users of old versions, while old puppies can be better than newer in many cases and in many hardwares and are worthy to support
dropbox 2GB free

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

But surely if you've managed to compile a recent QT4 with static libs that work in an old Puppy, the dynamic libs would also work in it?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Dingo

#8 Post by Dingo »

disciple wrote:But surely if you've managed to compile a recent QT4 with static libs that work in an old Puppy, the dynamic libs would also work in it?
I remember that some time ago, when I tried to build latest QT4 libs on Puppy 4.3.1, I got an error message about gcc (too old)

since I'm planning to build newer QT4 just released in Lucid Puppy I'll try again compiling both statically and shared version to see compatibility in Puppy 4.3.1, of QT4 libs built in Lucid
dropbox 2GB free

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

@Dingo, good work. QT4 is a behomoth compared to puppy, so if someone wants just one QT4-based app, without QT4, this is the way to do it.

@Disciple, how are statically compiled QT4 apps any worse than portablelinuxapps?

disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

They probably aren't worse. But I thought the point of portablelinuxapps was that people could use them on any distro when they they don't have the permissions to install software in the normal way... which shouldn't be an issue here in "root forever" land.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

seaside

#11 Post by seaside »

Dingo,

Thanks for making this available. I ran it in pup525 and could not get the images from Flickr or Google (just grey boxes) after a search.

I noticed this error on start "VideoDevice::open: Unable to open file "/dev/video". It also froze after using it a bit.

Any ideas,

Regards,
s

Geoffrey

#12 Post by Geoffrey »

seaside wrote:Dingo,

Thanks for making this available. I ran it in pup525 and could not get the images from Flickr or Google (just grey boxes) after a search.

I noticed this error on start "VideoDevice::open: Unable to open file "/dev/video". It also froze after using it a bit.

Any ideas,

Regards,
s
I get the same problem in quirky 1.20 NOP , it did pickup the web cam but just blank no picture

Geoffrey

Pelo

Fotowall is the final touch !

#13 Post by Pelo »

The prettiest graphics tool available in Puppy, and not so expensive in MBs
Is that always true that fotowall can be used only with Lucid Puppies ? (2014)
Fotowall 1.0 Lucid 52 from Lucid package repository.
try it with Dpup exprimo Go and Try it
Attachments
Fotowall.jpg
Nice.
(93.53 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 16:50, edited 3 times in total.

Billtoo

fotowall-0.9

#14 Post by Billtoo »

Fotowall works in Quirky 6.1
Attachments
fotowallscreen.jpg
(71.18 KiB) Downloaded 538 times

Pelo

PPM makes fotowall quite expensive with Quirky !

#15 Post by Pelo »

PPM makes fotowall quite expensive with Quirky !
QT included in RSH fotowall SFS makes several Qt apps available (open movie editor, among them) for cheap Price (less than 10MB)
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 08:55, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

Fotowall is the only one i found to do such a job. Nice Idea

#16 Post by Pelo »

RSH, our german collleague, provides a Lazy Puppy to feed with SFS. LP2_Fotowall10.sfs: 9160 K is one among others. It does the job without adding QT. Is Qt already included ? I don't know, but 10 MB is a reasonable price, in nowadays Puppies.
Fotowall is the only one i found to do such a job. Nice Idea.
Technicians like very much technical aspects, there is one, audio does not work in Dpup exprimo. let us raise the hood of the Puppy car, some hose to link here.

# fotowall
fotowall: error while loading shared libraries: libaudio.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

copied and transfered from papos SFS ; that's OK
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 06 Apr 2016, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

'how do you open a folder with fotowall ? "

#17 Post by Pelo »

many thanks for this debate on Qt, dear linuxian lovers. My question is
'how do you open a folder with fotowall ? "
i passed through by right click on a picture and 'open with' to fotowall.
"Principales fonctionnalités
Patchwork : avec FotoWall, les patchworks personnalisés sont réalisés sous formats JPG et PNG. Le résultat final peut être utilisé soit comme fond d’écran soit pour des pochettes de CD ou DVD, etc.
Manipulation des images : ce logiciel permet à l’utilisateur de recadrer, orienter, faire pivoter, appliquer des effets, modifier la luminosité et le contraste, mettre au niveau gris seulement, recadrer, etc., les photos comme bon lui semble.
Mise en page : après la création de patchworks, on procède à la mise en page. A ce propos, on peut commenter la photo, choisir le fond et la disposition des images, modifier le cadre de la photo et beaucoup d’autres encore.
Sauvegarde : toutes les conceptions effectuées sur FotoWall peuvent être enregistrées sous plusieurs formats pour ne citer que PNG, JPG, BMP, SVG et PDF. Ceci permet la consultation ultérieure des photos."

Translation to English :
Fotowall is an opensource creative tool that lets you play with your pixels as you've always wanted! Make the perfect arrangement with your photos, add text, live video from your webcam and the best internet pictures.
You will get this and much more. Get Fotowall today! Source code here.
With fotowall you can
create original pictures, wallpapers, postcards and covers
print superbig posters with a small printer
play with live video, internet content, text and pictures
Available Translations
Brazilian Portuguese, Márcio Moraes
French, Arnaud Tanguy
German, Martin Zimmermann
Italian, Enrico Ros
Polish, Marek Walczak
How-to by Ubuntu enthusiast
Attachments
Fotowall.jpg
Answer o my question (in fact wait one minute to let appear icons)
(77.6 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

Pelo

quirky : # fotowall

#18 Post by Pelo »

quirky : # fotowall
fotowall: error while loading shared libraries: libQtSvg.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Pelo

Re: fotowall-0.9

#19 Post by Pelo »

Billtoo wrote:Fotowall works in Quirky 6.1
biltoo, how do you do ?
ldd /usr/bin/fotowall
linux-gate.so.1 (0xffffe000)
libQtSvg.so.4 => not found
libQtXml.so.4 => not found
libQtOpenGL.so.4 => not found
libQtGui.so.4 => not found
libQtNetwork.so.4 => not found
libQtCore.so.4 => not found
libGL.so.1 => not found
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb771a000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb765b000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7620000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb760a000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb74db000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb773a000)

Pelo

Fotowal included too in Graphics adrive for X-Tahr 2.0

#20 Post by Pelo »

Fotowal included too in Graphics adrive for X-Tahr 2.0
"i've been wanting a collection of photo editing software so I thought I'd share this adrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs which contains some popular applications." merci Geoffrey.