Another Resource For Puppy..

News, happenings
russoodle

Another Resource For Puppy..

#1 Post by russoodle »

I remember some time back that Todd Richardson also provided a forum for Puppy but it appears to have done like a dodo and become extinct.

Puppyite has now created one, EDITED, which became active a week and a half ago.

I understand that some members have no time for Puppyite or interest in his enterprises and that's the way things go in life - people are different.

The way i see things is that, if someone cares enough to create something to help current and future users of Puppy Linux, then it merits my support, not a trashing, and a chance of success, because the users are the ones to benefit ultimately from whatever resources Puppy has to offer....whether that's forums, repos or other support sites.

From my perspective, forum politics and personal snarrel-snarrel-yarp-yarp do nothing to constructively further Puppy's cause; Puppy itself is my agenda and is the reason i'm here - the BS is a pain in the bum and can take a back seat. As i'm a Puppy-supporting, politically neutral entity, i've agreed to act as a moderator in Puppyite's forum.

It's out there for those who are interested..
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

tlchost

Re: Another Resource For Puppy..

#2 Post by tlchost »

russoodle wrote: It's out there for those who are interested..
My experience with alternative forums is such they fail many times, since the majority if users enjoy/accept/ignore the status quo on the existing forum.

The recent experience with the PLUG is an example of the community not supporting a departure from status quo.

Thom

Aitch

#3 Post by Aitch »

Wish you luck with that, russoodle :D

I find it a bit bizarre that ....
Links to or mention of murga-linux.com is forbidden.
.....whilst at the same time plagiarising/clipping quotes from this site to be somewhat hypocritical....

YMMV, as they say

Thom,

What you describe as 'the status quo' I describe as 'Inertia', as to me Status Quo is best known as a rock band....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70007

....but it's all 'resistance to change', and probably why puppyite started his forum

Others may follow.... :wink:

Aitch :)

tlchost

#4 Post by tlchost »

Aitch wrote: What you describe as 'the status quo' I describe as 'Inertia', as to me Status Quo is best known as a rock band....
Oh, how droll.

It may be more accurate to say inertia preserves the status quo.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

I have some insight on what happened to the PLUG and why some things happened.

For starters, how about us going to square one?

We have among other things, a matter of proprietary to take up. Who's Puppy is it?

~

russoodle

#6 Post by russoodle »

tlchost wrote:
russoodle wrote: It's out there for those who are interested..
My experience with alternative forums is such they fail many times, since the majority if users enjoy/accept/ignore the status quo on the existing forum.

The recent experience with the PLUG is an example of the community not supporting a departure from status quo.

Thom
Hi Thom,

Yes, i see what you mean, and observed it in action here with PLUG, as you say..

However, there are members here who are not entirely happy with this forum, so they now have an alternative venue to use if they so choose.
Aitch wrote:Wish you luck with that, russoodle :D

I find it a bit bizarre that ....

Quote:

.....whilst at the same time plagiarising/clipping quotes from this site to be somewhat hypocritical....

YMMV, as they say
Thank you, Aitch...i hope i haven't bitten off more than i can chew, but time will tell..

Regarding your other comments....i respect your opinion but my function there is as a member/moderator, not Puppyite's diplomatic attaché :wink:
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

tlchost

#7 Post by tlchost »

russoodle wrote: However, there are members here who are not entirely happy with this forum, so they now have an alternative venue to use if they so choose.
I have to admit that I've attempted to do the same thing in another technical area. The results were such that I was labeled as a trouble-maker, the alternative forum was little used and the same nonsense continued in the main forum.

There is so much good information in this forum, I think many who are unhappy with some things will stay, simply because alternative forum may have little content.
my function there is as a member/moderator, not Puppyite's diplomatic attaché
Some folks might view your activities as a moderator of a forum that appears to be born out frustrations with this forum and an attempt to pull members away from here as acceptance, agreement and support for Puppyite. One needs to be careful not to be tarred with the same brush.

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

tlchost wrote:Some folks might view your [russoodle] activities as a moderator of a forum that appears to be born out frustrations with this forum and an attempt to pull members away from here as acceptance, agreement and support for Puppyite. One needs to be careful not to be tarred with the same brush.
Yeah, I know. Them vs. us. Aitch says they aren't allowed use the M* word.

I'll try and help it get started. Russoodle is well intentioned. The 'personality' if there is such a thing and I suppose there is, isn't formed yet.

Would seem good to me, if it merely co-existed as do Barry's releases and the Puplets.

What you been saying seem pretty well reasoned to me.

We'll see what the future holds as it unfolds.

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

My English fails me again.
Bruce wrote:I'll try and help it get started.
Does that mean you are already active there?
Or is that something you plan to be and have not decided on yet?

I wish I knew more about the Don't mention Murga puppy forum.
How does that go together with copying posts from threads here?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

russoodle

#10 Post by russoodle »

tlchost wrote:I have to admit that I've attempted to do the same thing in another technical area. The results were such that I was labeled as a trouble-maker, the alternative forum was little used and the same nonsense continued in the main forum.
That's a shame, Thom....because one steps outside the box, one is viewed as suspect. Not funny, how we, as humans, seem more quickly inclined to make negative judgements than otherwise.

Todd Richardson's forum was not that much used, IIRC, but it was accepted and appreciated because it provided an alternative venue when this forum was down. The bottom line is that it was there for Puppy and the user community in general, not just for members of this forum. If the Murga forums should go down again at any stage, or for a protracted length of time, the only other venue i'm aware of is the sub-forums for Puppy at LQ.
tlchost wrote:There is so much good information in this forum, I think many who are unhappy with some things will stay, simply because alternative forum may have little content.
Yes, there certainly is and i've had those thoughts myself....it takes time and support to build something up from scratch.
tlchost wrote:
my function there is as a member/moderator, not Puppyite's diplomatic attaché
Some folks might view your activities as a moderator of a forum that appears to be born out frustrations with this forum and an attempt to pull members away from here as acceptance, agreement and support for Puppyite. One needs to be careful not to be tarred with the same brush.
I'm sure you're right about that and i'd be equally sure that those folks have not clearly understood my OP....i try hard to stay out of the politics side of things, it gets too messy and unpleasant, downright nasty and vicious in some cases... just rather do meown thing to make some sort of contribution, without being dictated to by the personal likes/dislikes of others, or drowning in any mudslinging.

But...due to the generally-hostile attitudes towards Puppyite, (a statement of fact, not a judgement), i realise that i'm likely to be sent to the sin-bin for jumping onboard - and some people will always make sweeping judgements - however, i can't be responsible for others' knee-jerk reactions because they dislike Puppyite....one can visit his FAQ website and see that, for all his lack of pleasant communication skills and great talent for alienating others, he deserves respect for the effort he makes in support of Puppy Linux. Furthermore, he knows that i do not agree with, support or approve of, some of his views or attitudes, i just didn't say so loudly in a public place. Conversely, neither do i agree with or support some of what transpires here...there's been some absolute crap splattered around these walls!
Bruce B wrote:Aitch says they aren't allowed use the M* word.
Hmm, he must have forgotten to mention that personal attacks on other members are not allowed either, among other rules and guidelines..
Attacking members, this forum, or anything else: If you are here to attack someone or something you will be banned and your posts deleted.
Bruce B wrote:I'll try and help it get started. Russoodle is well intentioned. The 'personality' if there is such a thing and I suppose there is, isn't formed yet.
Thanks, Bruce....i'm hoping a friendly, helpful personality will develop from the input of members.
nooby wrote:I wish I knew more about the Don't mention Murga puppy forum.
Nooby, i don't know at the moment how to answer that question, but i will raise that issue with admin.

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Thanks Russ,

I fully trust your intention is 100% good. But I am unsure about what puppyite means with the don't mention or rather forbid to mention Murga.

But if he means that he don't want on his forum what Jonyo did on LQ then I am 100% for that but the way puppyite express it can easily be totally misunderstood as him see something bad with the forum I write on now.

Knee jerk I don't think I do personally. He acted very bad here many many times.

I have too short temper too and I know I have lashed out against Beem and a few others.

I will also join puppyites forum sooner or later but will post pone it until I know if it get things going.

I agree with you that everything that helps Puppy Linux to prospere is good. Jemimah has her forum for Puppeee and Fluppy so nothing wrong with such forums at all.

But to copy posts from Murga forum to puppyite forum and to not give due link seems to not be the right way to do it. So good you will take that up. Much appreciated.

So the rule about not mentioning murga forum could be changed to something like Nooby's naive suggestion:

Links to and praise of Murga Puppy forum is okay but never voice any criticism of Murga puppy forum on Puppyite forum and do not criticize any member active on Murga forum here in Puppite forum.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

amigo

#12 Post by amigo »

"i will raise that issue with admin" -good luck with that. Don't you find it odd that someone whose stated purpose is to 'get a seat at the table' of puppy decision-making, seems completely authoritarian with his forum? Why doesn't he practice some of that giving with his efforts?

Aitch

#13 Post by Aitch »

I am glad people read and understood the difference between my straightforward
Aitch wrote:..........I find it a bit bizarre that ....

YMMV, as they say..............

and Bruce's peculiarly cryptic
Bruce B wrote:Aitch says they aren't allowed use the M* word.
However russoodle responded to it saying
Hmm, he must have forgotten to mention that personal attacks on other members are not allowed either, among other rules and guidelines..
No, russoodle, I didn't forget, I took into account puppyite's stated dictatorship role and discounted it as 'expected' and having little to do with protecting people's dignity or good name

My own good name has been slandered in the murga forum without honour by the perpetrator, who masks himself as a 'good guy'
Not in my book, he isn't!

russoodle also said
nooby wrote:
I wish I knew more about the Don't mention Murga puppy forum.

Nooby, i don't know at the moment how to answer that question, but i will raise that issue with admin.
Thanks, since that was my original query, and I wish you luck with that, but won't hold my breath
nooby wrote:So the rule about not mentioning murga forum could be changed to something like Nooby's naive suggestion:

Links to and praise of Murga Puppy forum is okay but never voice any criticism of Murga puppy forum on Puppyite forum and do not criticize any member active on Murga forum here in Puppite forum.
'notsonooby' does it again - very astute, nooby, I like it :D

Anyhow, this publicity for puppyite's forum has had all I intend to say on it

Good luck to anyone who gets involved

Caneri

#14 Post by Caneri »

Hi Suz,

No person on this forum would think less of you for "mod" at another forum.

Be Well.and enjoy,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

cthisbear

#15 Post by cthisbear »

" however, i can't be responsible for others' knee-jerk reactions
because they dislike Puppyite....
one can visit his FAQ website and see that,
for all his lack of pleasant communication skills and great talent
for alienating others, he deserves respect for the effort he makes
in support of Puppy Linux. "

Touché....Chris.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#16 Post by JohnMurga »

russoodle wrote:Hmm, he must have forgotten to mention that personal attacks on other members are not allowed either, among other rules and guidelines..
Attacking members, this forum, or anything else: If you are here to attack someone or something you will be banned and your posts deleted.
I guess I am the big exception in all this ?

I made the mistake of taking a look at the forum, and many of the threads I saw when I looked said rather unkind things about me and other members of the comunity, on one there was even a mirror of a defacing attack that took place on this site (URLs removed of course, as users won't be allowed to find this site).

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

I'm done turning the other cheek.

Thread locked.