PuppyLinux Reference Card

Using applications, configuring, problems
aragon

#21 Post by aragon »

I converted the pdf to a 2 page document for OO .... it's so much easier to read now.
well done, thom. i've not forgotten that, but had some crashes in abiword trying to convert the word-document.

aragon

drongo

Asterisks

#22 Post by drongo »

I really hate to nitpick as I know how much work is involved in producing and proof-reading technical documentation.

However, wildcards added to "dangerous" commands isn't the best idea!

Could you perhaps write "Note 1" in tiny letters or something?

I have printed this off and will be laminating it this evening.

Thanks.

gary

#23 Post by gary »

A doubling is definitely in order; the world awaits the 2 paged version. Plus, that way we can sandwich the two pages back to back and laminate to make a nice 2 page computer-side Pupster reference.
[b]Hasten Slowly![/b]

ken geometrics

#24 Post by ken geometrics »

tlchost wrote:
ICPUG wrote:That's a nice idea Aragon. I suspect it will expand to 2 sides before long!
It is a super idea....and if it were two-sided, the font size might be increased to allow folks with senior eye sight to enjoy it.

Thom
I just had an idea on the subject:

If I convert it to bare bones HTML and you open it with your browser, the default font size will control the size of the text and the browser will reformat it to make it fit. Paragraphs will word wrap etc. You can then print it with the font size that works best for you.

I'll come back sometime next week and see if anyone thinks I should bother.

aragon

#25 Post by aragon »

i've uploaded a basic-formatted html-version to the first post. if it does work as you've planned? test it!

aragon

tlchost

#26 Post by tlchost »

aragon wrote:i've uploaded a basic-formatted html-version to the first post. if it does work as you've planned? test it!
Using Opera it's 2 pages with a spill-over onto a third page.

Thom

UncleBaldie

#27 Post by UncleBaldie »

@Flash, JamesC, tlchost

I tried that info link, but no go.
It seems that they have moved to:

http://techposters.net/

Lots of useful info there...

HTH,

Phil
Crackin' cheese, Gromit lad...
[img]http://www.lichfieldecclesia.org/462665.png[/img]

Woof-woof......oh yes !!

ken geometrics

#28 Post by ken geometrics »

aragon wrote:i've uploaded a basic-formatted html-version to the first post. if it does work as you've planned? test it!

aragon
The HTML version seems to do it right. It is nice and compact and the web browsers I checked it on liked it just fine. Changing the font size up and down scaled everything as it should.

I tried several browsers that are known to comply with the standards and they all did the same basic stuff.

There are, however, have a few errors.

Right near line 10 and near 401 there should be a <P> and </P> you have text outside of a paragraph.

The "bgcolor" thing is going away. Styles will be the standard soon. For now, I wouldn't bother with that though.

RetroTechGuy

#29 Post by RetroTechGuy »

sunburnt wrote:The up arrow key goes back through the commands in rxvt or Xterm.
There`s no way to jump to a command that I know of...
The old Unix command was "!" followed by a letter or 2 of the command you wanted to recall.

So you've entered a bunch of commands, and want to recall a command:

#!ru

goes back in your history and finds:

#runthisverylongcommandsoIdon'thavetorecallthedamnthing

And the command:

#history

will show you a list of your command history

This can then recall a command by (say #285 was "#runthisverylongcommandsoIdon'thavetorecallthedamnthing")

#!285

Which will recall the command (#285):

#runthisverylongcommandsoIdon'thavetorecallthedamnthing

Most people set up an alias file, and alias "h" to history. Keep in mind that these numbers will roll off (change)...

I don't recall what the recall history length is (it might be the last 1000 commands), but the file where the history is stored is in /root/.history

One could also "#grep -i damnthing .history" to display the command above, that is stored inside the .history file.

russoodle

#30 Post by russoodle »

Thank you Aragon, very helpful :)

[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Stripe

#31 Post by Stripe »

Hi all
Thanks very much for the commands, A very useful tool (has helped me loads)
Cheers
Stripe

aragon

#32 Post by aragon »

Tubeguy made a nice online-version: http://tubeguy.org/PLRC-0.01b.html

aragon

disciple

#33 Post by disciple »

aragon wrote:
disciple wrote:Can anyone explain searching through the command history with Ctrl-R? I tried in in cygwin rxvt last night, and it seems you type in the first part of a command, press Ctrl-R, and then press space to search backwards through the history... but now that I try it in Puppy it only seems to find the most recent command, and won't search any further back...
am using it the other way round, first Ctrl+R then type part of the command. the limitation with the most recent command is here also.

aragon
I later found out:
- press Ctrl-R with an empty command line
- type part of the command
- press Ctrl-R again to go to the previous match.
This is very useful; I use it constantly.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

wildirish

#34 Post by wildirish »

This is great! I'm trying to learn to use the command line more, but so many of the things I find online or in books work in other distros, but not Puppy. If I see "Bad command or file name" one more time, I'll go postal, LOL!

Thank you for this--the HTML version is especially helpful, as it's the easiest to read, IMHO at least.

Tman

#35 Post by Tman »

This is a fantastic idea, aragon. I just wanted to add my thanks.

disciple

#36 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:
aragon wrote:
disciple wrote:Can anyone explain searching through the command history with Ctrl-R? I tried in in cygwin rxvt last night, and it seems you type in the first part of a command, press Ctrl-R, and then press space to search backwards through the history... but now that I try it in Puppy it only seems to find the most recent command, and won't search any further back...
am using it the other way round, first Ctrl+R then type part of the command. the limitation with the most recent command is here also.

aragon
I later found out:
- press Ctrl-R with an empty command line
- type part of the command
- press Ctrl-R again to go to the previous match.
This is very useful; I use it constantly.
Ah, and thanks to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bash I finally know how to make Ctrl-S work to go forwards: run `stty -ixon`, which disables "job control". You can add it in your .bashrc or whatever.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

RetroTechGuy

#37 Post by RetroTechGuy »

wildirish wrote:This is great! I'm trying to learn to use the command line more, but so many of the things I find online or in books work in other distros, but not Puppy. If I see "Bad command or file name" one more time, I'll go postal, LOL!

Thank you for this--the HTML version is especially helpful, as it's the easiest to read, IMHO at least.
Try the tab key. It shows/expands matching commands or filenames (if not unique).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

disciple

find multiple copies of a program in different paths

#38 Post by disciple »

Tip:
`which` only tells you about the copy of a program that will actually run if you call it by name (without the full path).
If you need to check whether you have multiple copies of a program in different paths (e.g. /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin), run this

Code: Select all

type -a program-name
It will also tell you about shell built-ins and aliases, which can otherwise cause confusion.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

don570

Cooper's advanced Bash manual

#39 Post by don570 »

I used the card (with some modifications) in my pet package
of Cooper's advanced Bash manual.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80501

Dud

#40 Post by Dud »

I've only looked at the HTML version:

Compact, useful - there were a couple of things in there that I'd forgotten; and easy to resize/reflow for those who need it.

You might want to check 'touch' btw.

It would be fairly east to semi-automate this with a db app so that appropriate versions could be created for different distro's.

I understand this is still a WIP but a few class declarations and stylesheets would greatly simplify the production of formatted-to-purpose variants.

Keep up the good work.

Cheerio,