Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 04:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Songbird & wma
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
bones01

PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2011, 02:40    Post subject:  Songbird & wma
Subject description: songbird won't sing

Hi all,
I have Songbird via quickpet but it won't play WMA files. When trying to get a plugin that might help, I end up with a message that my version of songbird won't support this.

I know this all seems a bit vague, but is there a reason that songbird won't play wma files?

Bones

pemasu

PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2011, 04:45    Post subject:  

I tested Songbird from Lucid repo about 6 months ago. It didnt handle shoutcast streams, existing plugins didnt work and there wasnt cure at that time. So I dropped Songbird. It is big, does not support what it should in Puppy.
I have replaced the need of Songbird with latest Deadbeef, Goggles music Manager and Streamtuner2. Also Umplayer with youtube search engine covers the rest of multimedia and music playing needs.

Sorry, I didnt answer your question, but I recommend you to check the latest Deadbeef. It supports usual music formats, handles ripping and also conversion of music formats, internet streams and so on...
bones01

PostPosted: Sun 29 May 2011, 21:24    Post subject:  

Thanks Pemasu.

I'll have a look at Deadbeef. Tried Audacios via PPM but it won't even open!!

Cheers.

Bones

playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun 2011, 19:35    Post subject:  

I understand that Songbird has dropped the Linux version. I think I could fix it.

I use Audacious 2.5.1 daily in Lucid 5.2.5. What happens if you enter 'audacious' in a terminal?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/Audacious-2.5.1-lucid525.pet

We now also have Clementine/Amarok and Banshee audio players, and deadbeef and Aqualung.

Ah-ha, Songbird has "officially" dropped its Linux version, but evidently some developers still build one. Here is Songbird 1.9.3.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/Songbird-1.9.3-Lucid.pet

Quote:
I know this all seems a bit vague, but is there a reason that songbird won't play wma files?

Songbird will not play wma drm-protected files---nor will any Linux players. I don't have any wma files to test with. OK, I made one to test with and Songbird doesn't play it. Maybe someone knows why not.

Here's the official word

Quote:
Songbird supports MP3, FLAC, and Vorbis on all platforms; WMA and WMA DRM on Windows; and AAC and Fairplay on Windows and Mac.
bones01

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug 2011, 21:31    Post subject:  

@Playdayz

I obviously didn't reply earlier, but I do want to thank you for putting the link to the songbird .pet here. It's been used since I installed it, and I'm enjoying it greatly.

Cheers.

Bones

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: