Boot Floppy for Puppy 2.01? (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
issarad

Boot Floppy for Puppy 2.01? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by issarad »

- SOLVED -

Is there a newer boot floppy that works with Puppy 2.01?

I have a Compaq LTE 5400 with P-150mhz, 80mb ram, 2gb harddrive, 6x CDrom and a floppy drive (in the expansion base for the laptop.) The bios of this old laptop does not support booting from CD, so I am forced to go the floppy drive route, however I cannot get it to boot from the existing image I have.

Can anyone offer any help with this? I really would love to get Puppy installed on this laptops harddrive so it can be useful to me again (other than as a huge doorstop.)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by issarad on Tue 27 Jun 2006, 15:49, edited 2 times in total.

slvrldy17

One possibility...

#2 Post by slvrldy17 »

Issarad,
One method that has been used by some would be to remove the HD from the old computer and put it temporarily in another newer comp and do your necessary formatting, partitioning, etc. there. Then do your full install of Puppy on it, after which you would place it back in the computer it came from. You could also get a used HD from a used computer store and just have them swap out the drives after you have set it up. There are adapter kits made that will allow you to mount a 2.5" laptop drive in a regular 3.5" drive bay in a desktop machine to do this. Given the specs of the laptop you listed I would probably set it up with a swap partition of around 500MB and the balance an ext2 or 3 linux partition that would be where you would install Puppy. Hope this helps.
Always give without remembering - always receive without forgetting.
Alice

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Nice one, SL, - as I've said before, these techniques often seem to be most expedient in the long run. Notwithstanding, for 80Mb of RAM, I'd start with just an 80Mb swap - too much of a good thing can ruin an HD!
Last edited by Sage on Sun 25 Jun 2006, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

marksouth2000

#4 Post by marksouth2000 »

(removed)
Last edited by marksouth2000 on Sun 25 Jun 2006, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

marksouth2000

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

Issarad, have you tried the two easiest approaches already?

You don't mention them, so:

- Simplest: download the latest WakePup floppy image and make a floppy from it. See if that will boot and find the liveCD in the CD drive. Search the forum for "wakepup".

- Also the simplest :wink: : get Smart Boot Manager from

http://btmgr.webframe.org/

You need sbminst for use in Linux, or sbminst.exe for use in Windows. These are tiny downloads. Use SBM to make a boot floppy. This will boot your CD for you.

It's going to be pretty bad luck if neither of these will work for you.

Cheers,
Mark

marksouth2000

#6 Post by marksouth2000 »

(removed)

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Glad I'm not the only one!

Some weird things happening on this site again, this morning. Just got a 'URL not found' and my offering disappeared into cyberspace.

issarad

#8 Post by issarad »

Thanks for the info, MarkSouth2000! I grabbed that image and once I got it onto the floppy, it worked perfectly. :D

Thanks for all your helpful info.

Sit Heel Speak

#9 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

issarad: Good. Now go back to the first message in your thread and add the word "(Solved)" to your thread title, so the rest of us don't waste time needlessly looking at it.