Mini (8cm) DVD-R not suitable for "multisession?"

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
septus

Mini (8cm) DVD-R not suitable for "multisession?"

#1 Post by septus »

I have used normal size DVD-R :s successfully with Puppy "multisession" 1.05 and lately 1.08r for several months.I then tried Verbatim 1.4G (8cm) Mini DVD-R. Puppy 1.08 burnt OK, started up normally, let me upgrade my personal files, worked normally on and off line, and powered off normally. However,during the following start-up attempts, Puppy asks for log on and password (which I do not have).
Am I right in assuming that Puppy "multisession" and Mini DVD-R are not yet compatible, or is there an obvious solution? The problem is minor, since it would just appeal to my pride in Puppy and personal vanity to fish out a mini DVD from my back pocket and show others how elegant Puppy is.
Cheers
"septus"(aka Eric) :oops:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I had the opposite problem. When the mini DVD-RW from which I was running multisession Puppy 1.0.8r1 got full I let Puppy start a new DVD-R. It promptly refused to boot. Then I booted the mini DVD-RW and used burniso2cd to burn a fresh full-size DVD-R from the 1.0.8r1 iso. It booted ok until after I saved the settings to it from the mini DVD. I hope someone figures out the cause of the password problem. :)

Ted Dog

mini DVD long history of multisession use

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

I use memorix mini dvd-r, dvd-wr but never used Verbatim 1.4G. The first multisession version I made was on a mini-dvd. I wouldn't say it was not supported. That error you have has been traced to the mount command. BarryK has updated mount in the version2 puppy alphas, and it worked.
One way to check if it is the mount, try different distro or windowsXP if it is readable. After looking into the mount issue I was not able to reuse that dvd again with puppy pre 2.0
Ted

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

See my post here for a possible solution.

septus

#5 Post by septus »

Thanks "Flash" and "Ted Dog" for your interest and suggestions.
"Why didn't I think of that", "Flash"! Will try as soon as I am off line (using dial-up).
I am very much looking forward to Puppy 2.0, as much as I find 1.08r excellent and highly innovative already. Slightly off topic: I have an IDE controller problem on one machine, but "Puppy does not mind" that I disconnected both hard drives - it runs as fast as ever without them.
Cheers
"septus"(aka Eric) :oops:

septus

Mini DVD-R "multisession" now works in Puppy 2.01

#6 Post by septus »

Just a follow-up to let you know that Puppy 2.01 works well with the same brand of mini DVD-R that previously failed to boot up with 1.08r.
Cheers
"septus" :D