puppy cloud

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
kenshen

puppy cloud

#1 Post by kenshen »

Hey just posting this here as a topic because i think puppy linux would be the perfect setup for a full cloud based operating system i know some people don't like some aspects of the cloud but there are those pluses as well so yeah consider

Geoffrey

#2 Post by Geoffrey »

Think that has already been discussed herehttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67585

kenshen

#3 Post by kenshen »

HOLY goes to work with a waikness

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

kenshen wrote:HOLY goes to work with a waikness
que?

That was deep. Too deep for my poor brain. :)

I agree Puppy would be good for cloud and like
Geoffrey point out your not alone thinking so.

The good thing with Puppy is how easily you can save things in case the cloud is down. The HDD would be full of your music and clips and texts and you have editors and things to do while waiting for the cloud to recover from sabotage or just a careless digger that cut the connection between continents.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

I am looking for a developer for the "Cloud" app. I can help with coding. Interested?
Mick Amadio (01Micko)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy53Developers
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

kenshen

cloud almost

#6 Post by kenshen »

you know while i think these concepts get close i don't think we have a true cloud os. which is an os that can be viewed any where in the world on any device. So if i walked up to my buddy's smart phone or tablet typed my user name Ip address and type of os im using along with a password i would be able to see all my data desktop etc that's what i think cloud computing is.

Geoffrey

Re: cloud almost

#7 Post by Geoffrey »

kenshen wrote:you know while i think these concepts get close i don't think we have a true cloud os. which is an os that can be viewed any where in the world on any device. So if i walked up to my buddy's smart phone or tablet typed my user name Ip address and type of os im using along with a password i would be able to see all my data desktop etc that's what i think cloud computing is.
That sounds more like you want a remote desktop app that runs on smart devices, but you would still need to have puppy running somewhere.

I thought that having puppy as a cloud os ment that there was only internet access and all applications were online such as office programs and the like.

kenshen

#8 Post by kenshen »

well kinda basically the concept of the cloud is having all of your data stored in a place where you can access it from any where on any device. That means data on a network drive but having that network drive not only store your data but your user info what type of os you run then depending on the type of cloud computing it loads the os in various ways etc. log on prompt probably asks for a domain or ip address user info etc it access that drive and os with your data loads that is cloud computing. that's what chrome does and i think puppy would be a great os for this when you don't have internet then there would be local storage like Lobster was saying for local work purpose or info you just don't feel comfortable sharing.

kenshen

#9 Post by kenshen »

bump keeping thread alive

kenshen

#10 Post by kenshen »

bump again

sickgut

#11 Post by sickgut »

cloud, like a VPS?

if we are talking a VPS then Puppy isnt being used because a VPS OS needs to let you login via SSH or even telnet and then set everything up from the commandline. Debian or CentOS or Ubuntu are being used because once you login you can apt-get or use yum to install whatever. Imagine the difficulty in doing this with Puppy as it has no commandline package management.

jabu2

#12 Post by jabu2 »

Kenshen

cloud computing has been a topic for some time. see post 2 in response to your opening gambit where Geoffrey pointed you in the right direction -and also read sszindian's posts in the topic Geoffrey directed you to.
And why not try sszindian's efforts to meet whatever your requirements are. Perhaps you can assist with that effort.

Your requirements as set out in this thread can perhaps be met by various means which already exiat? (free but you need to donate your time)
Lots of puppians are doing it - one way or another eg:

Puppy on laptop or usb chip or similar
Dropbox, or similar free cloud storage
chromium ig (sfs) and google apps
googledocs or similar??
sszindian's Cloud puppy??

jemimah

#13 Post by jemimah »

kenshen wrote:well kinda basically the concept of the cloud is having all of your data stored in a place where you can access it from any where on any device.
Like a usb thumbdrive perhaps? Its like your own personal cloud. You don't even need internet access. :lol:

Cloud computing makes business more lucrative for corporations, but has few benefits for users. Don't believe the hype.

amigo

#14 Post by amigo »

Is that really you Jemimah?

efiabruni

#15 Post by efiabruni »

I guess you mean something like owncloud (see: owncloud.org)?
There are quite a lot of web apps, that could be used to build your own cloud, subsonic for example for music, lots of wikis (didwiki as well I guess), some gallery applications written in php, that would run with lampp or LHMP and of course projects such as buddycloud, friendica or diaspora.

And of course there is pagekite (pagekite.net) which made it even for me possible to run my blog and other apps from my laptop.

A puppy designed to transform old hardware into your own little cloud would be a cool idea, and I would be willing to spend some time on a project like this, unfortunately my programming experience is 0 and even as a linux user I'm very close to being a total nooby (convert since 2010 :) but I could test things or beautify them :)