Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrsn51

#41 Post by rcrsn51 »

Béèm wrote:I saw the same in Exprimo and raised the issue.
Pemasu replied that libsensors4 is needed.
He will include it in a next release.
CPUtemp has libsensors4. As a test, install it and see what Hardinfo reports.

gortonc

#42 Post by gortonc »

Duh!!! Thanks James C! I don't know how I missed the MD5 sitting in plain sight.

Grace & peace - Chris

Oh, and for what it is worth, Playdayz - my IBM T43 shows the cpu temp, but still gives the "CPU Fan no fans?" in the widget. If I go to the hardware monitor it does show the fan speed however?!

gcmartin

Better Way

#43 Post by gcmartin »

This probably should NOT be covered here. But, this thread seems to have 2 simultaneous topics being addressed.Community might be better served, if one of these topics were moved to a separate thread for understanding and addressing. But, that is a call for the OP, not me.
Béèm wrote: ... efficient way is still a bug reporting/follow-up system like bugzilla. ...
Also for the project leader/main developer work will be easier.
I still don't understand how a person can cope with those long forum threads....
I think there is merit to this offer,

Puppy is maturing and sometimes has some interesting complexity that often times has to be repeated over and over.

What is the chance that Playdayz, 01Micko, Pemasu, TaZOC, and Stu90 would work with a structure that Béèm is willing to layout. Could this be a pilot for managing ALL Puppy development is a much better structured manner?

This team would provide 32bit, PAE, and 64bit simultaneous, yet provide easy to observe opportunity for feedback. Also, the developers would see any drawbacks/improvements derived from a pilot. like this.

Benefits appear to be qualitative, and effecient.

Hope this helps

aarf

#44 Post by aarf »

cputemp v1.3
Attachments
image-5.jpg
(19.15 KiB) Downloaded 3204 times

peebee

#45 Post by peebee »

Hi Playdayz

I have no battery indicator on my HP550 laptop on this pup.

/var/log/messages shows this error message when /Startup/powerapplet_tray is executed:

Code: Select all

Aug 14 21:08:15 puppypc user.notice powerapplet: Abort, no /proc/apm or acpi/info
I've tested Frisbee and pnethood so far and both are fine.

Cheers
PeeBee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#46 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. I would not call that error message. It is information that you dont have ac_adapter, battery or lid in your comp. So it is normal report of normal behavior.

peebee

#47 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:Peebee. I would not call that error message. It is information that you dont have ac_adapter, battery or lid in your comp. So it is normal report of normal behavior.
hi pemasu
but I do have both battery and ac-adapter and the indicator is there in luci528 but not in 529 with the new kernel....
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

aarf

#48 Post by aarf »

at first test i think startmount was broke by adding the cputemp v1.3.pet as well.

** (roxterm:17053): WARNING **: Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
/usr/local/Startmount/Startmount: line 110: kill: (21279) - No such process
sh: line 5: echo: write error: Broken pipe

ok

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 62, near token '</default>': syntax error

aborting...
/usr/local/Startmount/Startmount: line 430: 21482 Aborted                 gtkdialog3 -p STARTMOUNT -c
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(8.13 KiB) Downloaded 1648 times

pemasu

#49 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. Okay then it is probably due to the newer kernel. I had that non working situations at the beginning of Ice Puppy 2.6.38.4 kernel project. Powerapplet_tray didnt work. I think it is due to changed way to store the information in linux folder structure by kernel.

CPUTemp pet as posted above, Gatotray, Xsensors and improved conky with separate cpu temp script worked for temp, Vattery (there is pet by Jemimah) worked for battery status, I have abandoned Powerapplet_tray until someone fixes it for newer kernels. Also Conky (1.81 version), and for example e17 wm battery gadget works straight for battery status.

peebee

#50 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:Peebee. Okay then it is probably due to the newer kernel. I had that non working situations at the beginning of Ice Puppy 2.6.38.4 kernel project. Powerapplet_tray didnt work. I think it is due to changed way to store the information in linux folder structure by kernel.
Hi Pemasu

I think you are correct - there was also a problem with Vattery as used by your dpup Exprimo if you recall see:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 840cfd846c

but that can be cured by a simple edit as 1vattery is a script.

Cheers
peebee

pemasu

#51 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. Yes, your and some other finding was that corrected script with stopping to use vattery-ibam binary, if battery state is unknown is not enough. Sometimes in 1vattery script the unknown should be changed to yes. Otherwise vattery-ibam seqfaults.

Another solution is to remove everything else from the 1vattery starting script and left only exec vattery-acpitool. Acpitool is needed to be installed of course.

aarf

#52 Post by aarf »

my pwidgets battery status is working as it normally does.
the icon i the bottom traty from previous luci/lupu is not there though. puppeees icon/status was better. didnt have to click it to get the info.

aarf

#53 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:at first test i think startmount was broke by adding the cputemp v1.3.pet as well.
next reboot sdb3 mounted as before! ?

playdayz

#54 Post by playdayz »

IMHO, things are coming together very nicely in the Puppy World. Barry has been busy, and has just released an updated Wary, 5.1.3. He has also designated 01micko as Coordinator for the newest Official Puppy, Slacko, which will be released in 6 weeks or so. First off, that means, Slacko can use testers http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69798

With the release of Wary 5.1.3 now, and the upcoming release of Slacko, there is no need for an official release updating Lucid 5.2.5. The project to update Lucid was originally conceived as a way to get a Puppy release on the charts in the interim--not the purest of motives. This was to be a simple bug-fix release, but it assumed a life of its own. In brief, we made more changes and innovations than we had time to test.

Lucid will not disappear.

All of the changes and innovations have been released as Two-Headed Dog.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

Additionally, all of the changes and innovations plus the newer 2.6.37.6 kernel, the same one used in Slacko, have been released as Three-Headed Dog. So we get two for one.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70688

These two releases will be maintained
--after all, Lucid is an LTS (Long Term Support) release.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 15:44, edited 2 times in total.

Terryphi

#55 Post by Terryphi »

playdayz wrote:

All of the changes and innovations have been released as Two-Headed Dog.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

Additionally, all of the changes and innovations plus the newer 2.6.37.6 kernel, the same one used in Slacko, have been released as Three-Headed Dog. So we get two for one.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70688

These two releases will be maintained--after all, Lucid is an LTS (Long Term Support) release.
Great work, playdayz. I am back with Lucid enjoying the Three-Headed Dog after concentrating on Wary for a while. Glad to hear that the Lucid releases will be maintained as LTS releases! No need to go mad - just update what really must be updated. ;)
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

calexand

#56 Post by calexand »

What is used as the Devx for three-headed dog, please? Where can it be found/downloaded?
Thank you,
CA

aarf

#57 Post by aarf »

sdb3 mounted at start and startmount gui will open but still the broken pipe in error log?

usr/local/Startmount/Startmount: line 110: kill: (4506) - No such process

ok
cat: /root/.startmount/progitem_list: No such file or directory

(removed many duplicates of broken pipe)

playdayz

#58 Post by playdayz »

sdb3 mounted at start and startmount gui will open but still the broken pipe in error log?

I will test that myself and pass it on. We could fix it with update pet. Thanks.
Add -> aarf, For me Startmount only gives that message when the gui is running. I will tell 01micko about that, but what it means to me is that it is safe to use Startmount as is until it gets fixed. When you run the gui it will throw 150 or so messages, but when you close the gui it will stop and it seemed to run as designed--it mounted sdb1 for me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is used as the Devx for three-headed dog, please? Where can it be found/downloaded?
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luci_devx_528.sfs
9335c402116caea7c302793069e67706

You will need to rename it luci_devx_529.sfs.

cthisbear

#59 Post by cthisbear »

My N150 wireless usb adaptor now works with this variant....no reboots.

But has a strange bug.

Thanks to all.

"""""""""""

" But when you type in your user name and passwords
the typing box discolours....goes a light purple. "

Weird.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 999#553999

Chris.

gcmartin

Reports

#60 Post by gcmartin »

System performing very nicely on this laptop. See reports below.
Attachments
PUP529_PersonalizeSettings.png
Initial system desktop utilitiy
(35.43 KiB) Downloaded 1313 times
PUP529_Performance_Reports.tar.gz
PUP529 Hardinfo system reports
(6.17 KiB) Downloaded 475 times