Squeeze 5x D-Lite

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jim3630

#101 Post by jim3630 »

stu90 wrote:
jim3630 wrote:frugal manual install 508 to ext4 but unlike 507 broadcom wl.ko driver is not there :cry:
Hi jim3630,
507 was using Pemasu's lupe kernel - but i had some problems with that build with mega error floods numbering in the several thousands - not sure what was causing it, bad build, something not copied over in woof, broken script? so i have gone back to using 2.6.39-4 kernel for the time being.

I really have no experience at all with things like compiling kernels and wifi drivers - Could the wl.ko be copied from 507?
Perhaps Iguleder or Pemasu could offer some advice on what is need to get this wifi to work?
Hi Stu, actually Slacko's 2.6.37.6 kernel has a broadcom pet that worked in three headed aka luci-529 and for the 2.6.33.2 kernel on the board here is a broadcom_sta-5.6.48.36-i486.pet which worked in puppy rescue os.
pemasu never posted broadcom pets for his 2.6.39xx series, the wl driver were built-in. Iguleder doesn't provide wifi drivers or include 3rd party drivers in his builds.

---
used the same broadcom pet for 262 thru 268,527rc and 528. it's been my experience same pet will work as long as same kernel.
Last edited by jim3630 on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

Darkgame

#102 Post by Darkgame »

can this installs with debs?
If so, can it install lxde?

Iguleder

#103 Post by Iguleder »

Usually I provide ndiswrapper, Sysprof and some modem drivers, this time I didn't due to lack of time.

If you make any working packages, please upload them and make sure you share them so others can enjoy them too.

[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

jim3630

#104 Post by jim3630 »

Stu, thanks for trying the wl.ko pet as i pm'd here is a thread for someone with more skills than me.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 596#421596

Since BK has suggested Iguleder to lead in a community dpup effort maybe he will be able to find some time for troublesome third party wifi drivers. :lol:

BHINTZ

#105 Post by BHINTZ »

I am enjoying D-LITE and would like to change weather in Conky to my own locale. Can someone give me a clue how to do that?

bob

jim3630

#106 Post by jim3630 »

BHINTZ wrote:I am enjoying D-LITE and would like to change weather in Conky to my own locale. Can someone give me a clue how to do that?

bob
here you go

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 7&start=60

BHINTZ

#107 Post by BHINTZ »

Well, I now have a list from a zip file near the location I was sent to, but where do I put the information.

I found conky.conf in etc, but do not see any place to enter the code.

bob

stu90

#108 Post by stu90 »

BHINTZ wrote:Well, I now have a list from a zip file near the location I was sent to, but where do I put the information.

I found conky.conf in etc, but do not see any place to enter the code.

bob
Hi BHINTZ,
If you look inside the /root/.conky directory there is the information for finding / setting the weather codes.

The file you need to edit / add your weather code to is /root/.conkyrc on the second to last line.

stu90

#109 Post by stu90 »

jim3630 wrote:Stu, thanks for trying the wl.ko pet as i pm'd here is a thread for someone with more skills than me.

Since BK has suggested Iguleder to lead in a community dpup effort maybe he will be able to find some time for troublesome third party wifi drivers. :lol:
Thanks for the link jim630 - i will try to follow the instructions - i guess one needs to create the directory /usr/src to extract the kernel source to? also the kernel source seems to be rather large in size, when extracted first attempt has filled up completely my 512mb save file :shock:

James C

#110 Post by James C »

stu90 wrote:
jim3630 wrote:Stu, thanks for trying the wl.ko pet as i pm'd here is a thread for someone with more skills than me.

Thanks for the link jim630 - i will try to follow the instructions - i guess one needs to create the directory /usr/src to extract the kernel source to? also the kernel source seems to be rather large in size, when extracted first attempt has filled up completely my 512mb save file :shock:
AFAIK it's not necessary to extract the kernel source........ I just put the devx and the kernel_source sfs's in the same partition as my frugal install,load them with the bootmanager then go.
HTH.
Attachments
kernel_source.png
(33.07 KiB) Downloaded 830 times

stu90

#111 Post by stu90 »

James C wrote:
stu90 wrote:

AFAIK it's not necessary to extract the kernel source........ I just put the devx and the kernel_source sfs's in the same partition as my frugal install,load them with the bootmanager then go.
HTH.
Thanks for the heads up James,
I had downloaded the tar.bz2 when what i needed is the .sfs :oops:

cheers :)

jim3630

#112 Post by jim3630 »

stu90 wrote:

Stu thank you. see already have some experienced help. I just couldn't get it to work so have nothing to add.

-------

oh this is what pemasu uses

"About Jim3630 wireless wl module problem. Broadcom wl module is not included in any kernel. It is proprietary kernel driver module and it is not straightforward to compile and isntall it. I have used hacked source to compile it.
Also it needs script to disable b43 and ssb modules to be unloaded.

I attached the working script which goes to the /etc/init.d and that patched source I have been using.

So....compiling whatever newer kernel does not fix jim3630 wireless problem. It needs that proprietary driver and script to load it correctly is included.
Remove the phony DOTgz from the script and give it correct permissions after extracting, they are probably screwed.
I havent compiled that driver in 2.6.32 kernel so I dont know if that source works. To do that is somebody else job to find it......

That patched source is maybe for the newer kernels. I attach the original source also...."
Attachments
BC-wl.gz
(484 Bytes) Downloaded 302 times

stu90

#113 Post by stu90 »

Thanks for the links Jim,

ok here is first try - i have included Pemasus script in /etc/init.d into the .pet so i guess it will need a reboot to for the script to run.

kernel 2.6.39-4 - broadcom-v5-100-82-38-patched.pet - download:
http://ubuntuone.com/p/1Atb/

cheers,

stu90

#114 Post by stu90 »

pemasu wrote:Stu90. I will stole your Dpup updater at some stage. As exchange here is fixed sfsget-manager-0.0.4 which now accepts names with _ . At least sfsget which I modified is from the woof which supports that. It can be that 15.8 woof /usr/local/petget scripts are needed also.
It connects to the exprimo`s sfs repo. It can be difficult to keep apps sfs files compatible with Dpup Lite, but lets try. Many sfs apps anyway will be compatible with small modifications.
Thanks for the update Pemasu - here is a version similar to the dpup-updater with a drop down selection box :)

cheers.
Attachments
dpupsfs.gz
remove fake .gz and make executable
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

pemasu

#115 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. Yours version works nice. There was one typo at the end, laod > should have been load. You havent implemented sfs load for first run. I have used sfs_load a lot with first run, even compiled kernel modules and kernels using sfs_load without savefile. I think it would make things easier if the sfs_load would be aunched without conditional. People with testing, pfix=ram situations would benefit easy sfs loading.

If you have more sfs apps, post a link, pm or whatever and I will upload them.

BHINTZ

#116 Post by BHINTZ »

Thanks everyone for the information.

I now have the correct location and have found how to change temperature to fahrenheit. I have changed C to F in the now report, but have not figured out how to change it in the today and tomorrow reports. The numbers are correct but are followed by a C instead of an F.

The laptop pet works quite well for suspend and I am very pleased to have a freecell that works so well.

I am getting very attached to this version.

Thanks a lot.

bob

stu90

#117 Post by stu90 »

BHINTZ wrote:Thanks everyone for the information.

I now have the correct location and have found how to change temperature to fahrenheit. I have changed C to F in the now report, but have not figured out how to change it in the today and tomorrow reports. The numbers are correct but are followed by a C instead of an F.

The laptop pet works quite well for suspend and I am very pleased to have a freecell that works so well.

I am getting very attached to this version.

Thanks a lot.

bob
Hello BHINTZ,

in the script /root/.conky/full-weather.sh

change the two C on on line one and three below to F:

Code: Select all

split(tmp[2],statement," C ") # substitute C for F if metric differs 
     split(tmp[2],temp) 
     forecast[++y]=sprintf("%d-%dC %-15s",temp[5],temp[2],statement[3])
to:

Code: Select all

split(tmp[2],statement," F ") # substitute C for F if metric differs 
     split(tmp[2],temp) 
     forecast[++y]=sprintf("%d-%dF %-15s",temp[5],temp[2],statement[3])

jim3630

#118 Post by jim3630 »

stu90 wrote:Thanks for the links Jim,

ok here is first try - i have included Pemasus script in /etc/init.d into the .pet so i guess it will need a reboot to for the script to run.

kernel 2.6.39-4 - broadcom-v5-100-82-38-patched.pet - download:
http://ubuntuone.com/p/1Atb/

cheers,
stu, thanks for trying sorry to report no joy. it would not load the wl pet as seen using sns and code lsmod. unable to bring up eth1 with code ifconfig eth1> giving error message no such thing. looked in boot loader to see if mod prevented loading but no wifi mod listed that could tell.

stu90

#119 Post by stu90 »

Hi Jim thanks for feedback - i guess you already tried this but on piratesmack thread he says to: blacklist b43 and ssb in Bootmanager then reboot.

BHINTZ

#120 Post by BHINTZ »

thanks, again.

its all good

bob