Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
aarf

#61 Post by aarf »

playdayz wrote:
sdb3 mounted at start and startmount gui will open but still the broken pipe in error log?

I will test that myself and pass it on. We could fix it with update pet. Thanks.
Add -> aarf, For me Startmount only gives that message when the gui is running. I will tell 01micko about that, but what it means to me is that it is safe to use Startmount as is until it gets fixed. When you run the gui it will throw 150 or so messages, but when you close the gui it will stop and it seemed to run as designed--it mounted sdb1 for me.
what concerns me is that startmount seems to have conflicts with other things eg. boot manager loading sfs (as posted earlier) , and also when pets are installed. if startmount has this issue will/do other things have problems too, or is it something confined to startmount only.

Snail

Is this where we report general Lucid issues now?

#62 Post by Snail »

I upgraded my lupusave from 526rc to Lucisave for 529 via 528. No problems as far as I can see, except the GTK and openbox themes were reset. I had to reload xorg-high, but that may have been "lost" in some previous upgrade.

Since this version seems to have few problems, I assume that it will become the main-line LucidPuppy. Hence it seems to make sense to report any issues in this forum, even if they are not confined to 529?

I was sent a .wav file. Clicking on it in Rox resulted in maximum volume static that seemed likely to destroy my speakers, with no way of turning it off, except by rebooting. This also happens if right-click is used to select Gnome-Mplayer or Mplayer. The file plays OK in WinXP. It also plays beautifully in PMusic in 529.

The only other .wav files I have are the Skype sounds. They are fine in all three sound programs. I cannot post the rogue .wav file as it contains confidential info. However, Rox right click -> Properties gives:
RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, mono 8000 Hz

whereas the Skype sounds are:
RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 16000 Hz

An easy fix was to set the .wav run action to PMusic

The file came as an email attachment. Trying to open it in the Seamonkey email window crashes Seamonkey. It sometimes leaves a large blank black window behind, which can be shut down, so it isn't completely unresponsive.

Snail

Rox right clicks Again!!

#63 Post by Snail »

It will be no secret by now that right clicks is dear to my heart :wink: I have just booted 529 with pfix=ram and discovered to my intense amazement that right-clicks has been left out! When did this happen? Is this intended?

I see that there are more .wav files in the system files and none of them seem to have problems with the default player, but mine still does with pfix-ram.

tasmod

#64 Post by tasmod »

Startmount

sdb3 suggests USB stick ??

In the notes Micko and I mention that support for USB is experimental. :D
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

playdayz

#65 Post by playdayz »

It will be no secret by now that right clicks is dear to my heart I have just booted 529 with pfix=ram and discovered to my intense amazement that right-clicks has been left out!
Snail, Right-clicks is in luci-529. I just checked. I removed a few items such as "play audio/video with mplayer" because I thought they were confusing--that something would play and the user would have no obvious way to turn it off.

Unless we mean something different by "right-clicks."

aarf

#66 Post by aarf »

tasmod wrote:Startmount

sdb3 suggests USB stick ??

In the notes Micko and I mention that support for USB is experimental. :D
sdcard.
am condisering going back to what i had done peviously just use the startup script without using startmount.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ash
mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/sdb3 2>/dev/null

majorfoo

#67 Post by majorfoo »

Was running seamonkey 2.2 and updated to 2.3 using help and check jupdate feature

Having strange problem. with this version that I have not seen before

/root
# seamonkey
WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!
WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXDestroyPixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported! This is an application bug!

Is anyoneelse having this problem?

edit: deleted seamonkey and did fresh install of version 2.2.
this warning does not appear in this version. Must be unique to lucid version of 2.3

edit-2: checked this in slacko-4.99.1 which includes seamonkey 2.3 in package and do not have this problem

majorfoo

Snail

Right clicks and humble pie, SFS Get, Seamonkey 2.3

#68 Post by Snail »

I'm terribly sorry Playdayz. I should have been in bed when I posted that rubbish. I don't know how I got the idea, might have been looking at the only file type that doesn't need a right click addition, I guess.

Quickpet -> SFSGet -> Big GCC button gets me the message from ibiblio that: file does not exist -broken link .

majorfoo, where did you get Seamonkey 2.3? the only version that I can see in quickpet is 2.2. I downloaded that one and whilst running it in 526 it auto-updated to 2.3. I upgraded my 526 pupsave to 529 and the Seamonkey 2.3 in it seems to be working fine. There are no messages when I run from console.

The startmount script seems to be working OK for me (Only tested a partition on my single hard drive ) However I get an annoying message box telling me it is there with every boot that I have to click away. Maybe I need to do something else to stop it?

aarf

#69 Post by aarf »

@Snail startmount>file>preferences>disable boot splash window

majorfoo

Re: Right clicks and humble pie, SFS Get, Seamonkey 2.3

#70 Post by majorfoo »

Snail wrote:
majorfoo, where did you get Seamonkey 2.3? the only version that I can see in quickpet is 2.2. I downloaded that one and whilst running it in 526 it auto-updated to 2.3. I upgraded my 526 pupsave to 529 and the Seamonkey 2.3 in it seems to be working fine. There are no messages when I run from console.
I was running seamonkey 2.2 lucid.pet from
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ges-lucid/

updated from 2.2 using help-updates

after encountered problem, deleted 2.2 and installed lucid 2.3 pet from above url and had same problem. deleted this and went back to seamonkey 2.2 without updates

majorfoo

Snail

Startmount and Seamonkey

#71 Post by Snail »

Thanks aarf, that worked. I wonder if the interface would be simpler for idiots like me if the menu options were simply placed as buttons along the bottom of the window? There is plenty of room and I just don't tend to think about the menu on a simple interface like this.

majorfoo, that's odd. Sounds as though we went through a very similar process and yet I definitely do not have that problem. The only problem I have had with Seamonkey 2.3 is with that nasty .wav file I have, which seems to wreck other programs as well. That seems unrelated to your problem.

wuwei

#72 Post by wuwei »

There is a strange behaviour in 529, that is not present in 528.

I have done a frugal install of 529 with a fresh pupsave file.
Upon each reboot the desktop icons revert back to their original layout , number and positions, looking like the very first boot into 529. Of course I can get my custom arrangement back with Desksetup Templates, but that is not the idea, isn't it?

528 is fine and since both pupsave files were created almost identically, this is mysterious.

Don't spend too much time on it Playdayz, I am very happy with 528. Just if you happen to know a fix off hand, I'd be interested.

majorfoo

#73 Post by majorfoo »

Snail wrote:
majorfoo, that's odd. Sounds as though we went through a very similar process and yet I definitely do not have that problem. The only problem I have had with Seamonkey 2.3 is with that nasty .wav file I have, which seems to wreck other programs as well. That seems unrelated to your problem.
Through process of elimination, believe I have figured out problem here.
Doesn't matter if I use seamonkey 2.2 and update feature to 2.3 or if I boot clean iso and install seamonkey 2.3 pet the problem seems to start at the following point.

I go into edit, preferences, privacy & security and check all boxes, close browser and the reopen. Usually first attempt works ok, but not always. At least on the second opening, I get warning message that seamonkey is already running and must close it before I can restart. If I restart X server, then ok until I close browser and try to open again.

Further determination reveals that if I DO NOT check box to clear cookies, then I do not have this problem.

I have used this feature (check all boxes) in all previous versions of seamonkey since it first appeared and version 2.3 is first time I have encountered any problems.

I have tried slacko-4.99.1 which has seamonkey 2.3 already installed. I checked all boxes, opened and closed browser 15 times without any problems.

I would appreciate your trying above and see if you experience same problems.

majorfoo

jim3630

#74 Post by jim3630 »

fwiw have reported the reverting of desktop icons in other threads and iirc was chalked up as long standing long know bug that goes away after so many reboots.

Snail

Battery Monitor and Seamonkey

#75 Post by Snail »

I can confirm that the battery monitor does not appear when using 529 on my Compaq C700 laptop. 528 is normal. Tested using USB prepared using Bootflash and also with manual-frugal to HDD, with and without a pupsave.

Snail

Seamonkey Bug

#76 Post by Snail »

I can confirm majorfoo's Seamonkey 2.3 bug. I've only tested in 529. If you clear cookies, via Clear Private Data, you are locked out of Seamonkey once you leave it. Rebooting restores the access. It occurs if you set Edit->Preferences->Privacy and Security to always clear private data and tick cookies. The bug also occurs if you use Tools->Clear private data and tick cookies. (I probably did not actually have any cookies in the system when I did this testing.)

majorfoo

Re: Seamonkey Bug

#77 Post by majorfoo »

Snail wrote:I can confirm majorfoo's Seamonkey 2.3 bug. I've only tested in 529. If you clear cookies, via Clear Private Data, you are locked out of Seamonkey once you leave it. Rebooting restores the access. It occurs if you set Edit->Preferences->Privacy and Security to always clear private data and tick cookies. The bug also occurs if you use Tools->Clear private data and tick cookies. (I probably did not actually have any cookies in the system when I did this testing.)
What is really strange is that this only happens in lucid series.I have tried 525,528 and 529. Problem exists in all three.

If i go to slacko-4.99.1 or next 500 alpha2, problem does not exist.
Posting now from next 500 alpha2, installed seamonkey-2.2-Lucid525.pet, then updated to seamonkey 2.3. No problems here

majorfoo

James C

#78 Post by James C »

majorfoo wrote:
Snail wrote:I can confirm majorfoo's Seamonkey 2.3 bug. I've only tested in 529. If you clear cookies, via Clear Private Data, you are locked out of Seamonkey once you leave it. Rebooting restores the access. It occurs if you set Edit->Preferences->Privacy and Security to always clear private data and tick cookies. The bug also occurs if you use Tools->Clear private data and tick cookies. (I probably did not actually have any cookies in the system when I did this testing.)
What is really strange is that this only happens in lucid series.I have tried 525,528 and 529. Problem exists in all three.

If i go to slacko-4.99.1 or next 500 alpha2, problem does not exist.
Posting now from next 500 alpha2, installed seamonkey-2.2-Lucid525.pet, then updated to seamonkey 2.3. No problems here

majorfoo
I'm running SeaMonkey 2.3 on 525,528,529 and Lucid Retro (in 529 at the moment)....all set up to clear private data and cookies on exit....and I haven't seen this problem yet.

Everything appears to be working pretty well,nothing really to complain about.Naturally, SeaMonkey will start acting up now probably....... :lol:
Attachments
529.png
(165 KiB) Downloaded 6100 times

majorfoo

#79 Post by majorfoo »

James C wrote:
I'm running SeaMonkey 2.3 on 525,528,529 and Lucid Retro (in 529 at the moment)....all set up to clear private data and cookies on exit....and I haven't seen this problem yet.

Everything appears to be working pretty well,nothing really to complain about.Naturally, SeaMonkey will start acting up now probably....... :lol:
DId you check ALL boxes in Privacy&Security - Note your screen shot on another post did not have all boxes checked. Once all boxes are checked, close browser and then reopen- Sometimes it opens on first try but not on second. Open and close a few times and see if you can create the problem.

thanks
majorfoo

James C

#80 Post by James C »

majorfoo wrote:
James C wrote:

DId you check ALL boxes in Privacy&Security - Note your screen shot on another post did not have all boxes checked. Once all boxes are checked, close browser and then reopen- Sometimes it opens on first try but not on second. Open and close a few times and see if you can create the problem.

thanks
majorfoo
I'll confirm that with all boxes checked when SeaMonkey 2.3 is closed there is a process or processes continuing to run in the background preventing SeaMonkey from reopening.
Unchecking boxes did not help,had to do a browser reinstall.