Scanner only found after re-connecting [seems to be solved]

Please post any bugs you have found
mave

Scanner only found after re-connecting [seems to be solved]

#1 Post by mave »

Hi,

I have a little fine scanner CanonScan LIDE20 (usb): in Wary (up from 5.x) the scanner isn't found by Sane/scanimage after booting.

Reconnecting (re-plugin) usb cable and: hey, there it is!

Not the same in Lucid Puppy. Looking inside /etc/sane.d without success. E.g. changing in conf-files someting like

Code: Select all

[usb] vendor=xxxx product=xxxx
device...
makes no success. Does anybody know how to force the system at boot time do do automatic what is does while unplugging this scanner?

mave
Last edited by mave on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

You haven't said, but I'm assuming that you are using the plustek.conf file?

Lupu actually has an older version of SANE than Wary. But plustek is an old driver, so I don't think that's the problem.
in Wary (up from 5.x)
Are you saying that you had better USB detection in earlier Puppies? Perhaps try 4.3.1 as a test.

mave

#3 Post by mave »

Hi rcrsn51,

thanks for your reply.

This is on a pc of my mother-in-law :wink: , so no change to another Puppy is okay ("Please don't change the machine...!").

I took some changes in plustek.conf (but there are also canon*.conf files). I don't know how sane detects this in details.

Again: booting the pc = no scanner is found. Unplug and plugin the scanners usb cable (dmesg showing well) and suddenly: scanner is found and works perfectly.

Maybe not sane is the problem, seems to be Wary/Puppy makes not the same at boot time than while unplugin (getting a correct device 'plustek:00X:00X" and the scanner is running).

Hmmm..

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Now I'm confused. Are you saying that Lucid Puppy NEVER finds the scanner? Even if you unplug-replug it? Or that it ALWAYS finds it?

mave

#5 Post by mave »

...uuups.

Lucid always finds it.

This Wary here NOT. Testing the news 5.1.3 and looking...

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

OK. There have been some recent changes to USB detection. In my tests, this sometimes made detection of printers and scanners worse if they were already turned on at boot-up (like your Lide20).

I suspect that your Lucid Puppy does NOT have these changes, so it works properly. But there was a patch for this, so the most recent Wary may be better.

mave

#7 Post by mave »

Many thanks for your checking and info:

here, this is shinobars Quickset Wary 511 that is running with international (german) interface - good for an older non-english person.

The new Wary 5.1.3 seems to have no problem. By the way: the CanonScan LIDE 20 isn't switched on, or maybe: there is no power switch, only usb cable ;-).

Actually upgrading to Wary 5.1.3 is not possible, because Barry rolled back to Seamonkey 1.1xx. Here ist 2.x. In this way no clearly way in development (but Barry's decision!).

Lucid 5.2.x is great but - also - localized menus not established yet. Yes, some people are working on it, but every new Puppy, every time no german (or other) menu entries... so here: staying on an older Wary.

Thanks!

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

So it sounds like the most recent Wary has the patch that fixes your USB detection problem. Here is something to try with your older Wary.

Open the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add this line

Code: Select all

udevadm trigger --subsystem-match="usb*"
If I recall correctly, this was the patch.

mave

#9 Post by mave »

Bingo! This is great!

Seems to be solved. Thanks!

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help. Say hello to your mother-in-law for me :wink:

mave

#11 Post by mave »

...she's happy, laughs and is happy about her working scanner :D :D :D Thanks!

ExtremeDpup

Try Vuescan

#12 Post by ExtremeDpup »

Try VueScan scanner software.

It works "out of the box" in Puppy. Just download the linux version here:

http://www.hamrick.com/rox

Extract the archive with pupzip, open the extracted folder and click vuescan.

It's commercial software and claims to be "compatible with over 1750 different scanners".