Booting, installing, newbie
miffo

How do I log in as root?

#1 Post by miffo »

Can i log in as root in puppy?
And how if it does?

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Puppy always works as root. (although you can run some programs with a restricted id)

There is enough information about this in the Puppy web site.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

rarsa wrote:Puppy always works as root. (although you can run some programs with a restricted id)

That's not fair. It's buried and hard to find. I looked for 10 minutes and couldn't find anything about running Puppy in root, and I know I've seen it before. :?

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Flash wrote:
rarsa wrote:Puppy always works as root. (although you can run some programs with a restricted id)

That's not fair. It's buried and hard to find. I looked for 10 minutes and couldn't find anything about running Puppy in root, and I know I've seen it before. :?
Try: http://www.goosee.com/puppy/faq.htm

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

In the text under "Security Concerns," about two thirds of the way down the FAQ page. I did look in the FAQ, but only in the Q's and A's, not the text.

If you didn't know it was somewhere on the website, do you think you would find it? :)

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

Well, this goes to the hearth of a previous suggestion I made about reorgainzing the information and having only one topic per page. With different ways of indexing it ;)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

I couldn't agree with you more. :)

But, we seem to have several repositories of knowledge that need revisiting, consolidating and perhaps cross-referencing. The ones I can think of are Barry's webpages, the Wiki, and the several Fora. (Is it Fora or Forums?)

As far as I'm concerned the cross-referencing should be kept to a minimum. It's too easy to stick in a link and lead the poor reader on a wild goose chase, rather than say what needs to be said. Better to have one long thoughtfully tended Wiki page about running Puppy, for instance, than bits and pieces of advice scattered all over and linked to each other willy nilly. (Worse, note that the FAQ question under which the bit about running Puppy as root was found couldn't be linked to, only the whole page.) The difficulty is getting several knowledgeable people to collaborate on a Wiki page. Each would naturally prefer a page of his own.

Those are just a few excess thoughts off the top of my head, mind you. I have lots more. :lol:

Rich

#8 Post by Rich »

Flash wrote: Those are just a few excess thoughts off the top of my head, mind you. I have lots more. :lol:

I hope you're on about thoughts there, not heads ! :D

#9 Post by Guest »

#whoami

hehehehe

rarsa

#10 Post by rarsa »

Better to have one long thoughtfully tended Wiki page about running Puppy, for instance, than bits and pieces of advice scattered all over and linked to each other willy nilly.
You just strengthened my point.

If you have each piece of knowkedge in its own page, you can have an index page that contain everything organized in a single place for people that prefers to see the whole world at once. Other people prefer to see just the bits of information they are looking for.

The brain of different people organizes information VERY differently. One of the purposes of a wiki is to organize knowledge in a multidimensional way.

So if you prefer a flat view, you can have a flat index, if some one prefers a tree view they can have it. If someone else prefers a search engine... well, you get the idea.

Think of a technical book:
- Some people prefer to go directly to the chapters looking for something.
- Some people prefer to go first to the table of contents
- For me? I go directly to the back of the book and search the index and then jump to all the pages referenced in the index.

I hope you get the idea.

BHSPitMonkey

#11 Post by BHSPitMonkey »

I just added a (very old, very small) hard drive to a box that I only boot puppy onto. Now during Puppy's booting it stops at a "Password" prompt and expects a password from me. Can someone let me in on what the password to root is so I can see if it works?
:(

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Monkey, you probably have a case of pup001 file itis, a corrupt pup001 file somewhere that Puppy can see when it boots. That's why it is asking for a password.