Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nooby

#61 Post by nooby »

nitehawk wrote:Tried to get FreeBSD installed this weekend. No go. Pulling hair out.
Not that I remember if I ever succeeded.

But what if one try BSD out in a wm ware or VBox to get a glimpse into what them are at?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

borgbucolic

Lots of Distros

#62 Post by borgbucolic »

I like trying lots of distributions. I have a huge hard drive that I've cut up into a bunch of little partitions. Currently I have about 6 or 7 operating systems installed. I have installed each of them with their own bootloader in the same partition as the distribution in question. I use GAG graphical bootloader as the first one the computer starts with and load the distro from there. It is very easy to modify GAG to include or remove a partition.

Currently, I have Ubuntu 10.04 is my primary distro until it runs out. I'm exploring what I will switch the family to after that. I also have SliTaz, Puppy, and TinyCore on sticks. I'm still exploring TC. However, Puppy is my main stick I use at work (unless IT gets XP working reasonably again).

Yet, I am an admitted distribution whore.

nitehawk

#63 Post by nitehawk »

nooby wrote:
nitehawk wrote:Tried to get FreeBSD installed this weekend. No go. Pulling hair out.

But what if one try BSD out in a wm ware or VBox to get a glimpse into what them are at?
...wouldn't do much good. Couldn't even get to a decent desktop. I'll keep reading the "FreeBSD Handbook", though. I'll try again, when I can get the time,....and I'll either succeed,..or I'll just wait until PC-BSD 9 comes out. (It comes with several smaller desktop environments on the install DVD). And you will also be able to install either PC-BSD or FreeBSD off the DVD as well.
EDIT: Just got to a nice Gnome desktop in FreeBSD. But that's about it. Seems that you have to do mountains of CLI code to get the CD and DVDs to mount,...etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Makes Slackware look like a walk in the park. Guess I'm just too spoiled to Puppy...(takes just minutes to get to a nice desktop and start computing.)

laika

#64 Post by laika »

Lobster wrote:Slitaz I hear good things about - seemed OK, fast, but not as complete as Puppy, last time I looked . . .
SliTaz 3.0 is really nice... well, for my taste, it had almost exactly the things that I like and use, so I burnt the iso and used it almost completely stock for months. It creates a RAMdisk like Puppy, can be remastered, has good package management, et cetera. I love it.

I guess the pool of people working on it isn't as large as for the Puppies, and Pankso, whom I think started the project, had to get a more demanding job two or three months ago, so 4.0 has been delayed somewhat if my understanding of the situation is accurate. I'd love to see them be able to keep up the momentum.

Colonel Panic

#65 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
nooby wrote:

...wouldn't do much good. Couldn't even get to a decent desktop. I'll keep reading the "FreeBSD Handbook", though. I'll try again, when I can get the time,....and I'll either succeed,..or I'll just wait until PC-BSD 9 comes out. (It comes with several smaller desktop environments on the install DVD). And you will also be able to install either PC-BSD or FreeBSD off the DVD as well.
EDIT: Just got to a nice Gnome desktop in FreeBSD. But that's about it. Seems that you have to do mountains of CLI code to get the CD and DVDs to mount,...etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Makes Slackware look like a walk in the park. Guess I'm just too spoiled to Puppy...(takes just minutes to get to a nice desktop and start computing.)
You are brave! I've been tempted by FreeBSD in the past but have always been put off by the mountains of work involved.

There is a FreeBSD-based live disk though, called Frenzy. It might be worth a look if you like the BSDs.

I've recently been trying out a distro called Sabayon, which is based on Gentoo. The LXDE version I've got has a lot of light apps, including Midori for web browsing. Works pretty well (but not enough to make me switch from Puppy for live disk use).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nitehawk

#66 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote: You are brave! I've been tempted by FreeBSD in the past but have always been put off by the mountains of work involved.

There is a FreeBSD-based live disk though, called Frenzy. It might be worth a look if you like the BSDs.
,,I may have to have a look at Frenzy. The only reason I am using Slackware,....is because of my disappointment over my favorite old standby distro VectorLinux taking soooooo long to release #7. I just gave up and tried Slackware,....and was quite surprised that I could actually get it working fairly well (and liking it). I discovered that a few of the apps from the Salix Linux repository will work in both Slackware,...and Wary 5.1.1 (Wine, for instance).
But I have just about given up on Vector. I even discovered that they have changed the desktop,...and dropped the Nvidia driver at install. (I have my Nvidia working very well in Slackware, got the Xfce desktop going nicely,.....so I don't care anymore whether Vector comes out soon, or not).
laika ..
you have me curious about Slitaz,...I'll go have a look at their website.

Colonel Panic

#67 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote: You are brave! I've been tempted by FreeBSD in the past but have always been put off by the mountains of work involved.

,,I may have to have a look at Frenzy. The only reason I am using Slackware,....is because of my disappointment over my favorite old standby distro VectorLinux taking soooooo long to release #7. I just gave up and tried Slackware,....and was quite surprised that I could actually get it working fairly well (and liking it). I discovered that a few of the apps from the Salix Linux repository will work in both Slackware,...and Wary 5.1.1 (Wine, for instance).
But I have just about given up on Vector. I even discovered that they have changed the desktop,...and dropped the Nvidia driver at install. (I have my Nvidia working very well in Slackware, got the Xfce desktop going nicely,.....so I don't care anymore whether Vector comes out soon, or not).
laika ..
you have me curious about Slitaz,...I'll go have a look at their website.
I'm disappointed with Vector 7.0 too. There's a serious bug in the installer which doesn't let you set a UK keyboard default when you install Vector from scratch, so you have to set it manually every time you boot it up.

It's up to RC2 now and they still haven't fixed it. Sad, because Vector 6 is one of my favourite distros and I still use it even though it dates from 2008.

Maybe I'll look at Slackware 13 myself soon. For now though, I'm giving Mint 11 (LXDE, the "light" version) a go soon to see if that's any good. I liked Mint 10 when it came out, although I always ended up setting a root password in order not to have to type "sudo" every time I wanted to make any changes at all to my system :twisted:
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#68 Post by nooby »

Could someone please help me? How does one set up save on ntfs internal hdd on Slitaz ?

Slitaz 3.0 looks good!
It does boot from frugal install from ntfs formatted internal HDD

I tried to set it up so it has similar permissions and root things as Puppy! I downloaded it from cooking version? link
http://www.slitaz.org/en/get/

How to add it to menu.lst frugal install. Click and drag and copy the boot file over to a / or root or C:/
http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:frugal
title SliTaz cooking
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage rw root=/dev/null vga=normal
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/rootfs.gz
If you have other "boot" then just rename it to slitazboot
title SliTaz cooking
kernel (hd0,0)/slitazboot/bzImage rw root=/dev/null vga=normal
initrd (hd0,0)/slitazboot/rootfs.gz
So I did log in as root, one get a choice if one want to log in as Tux so I change it to root and the password is then root obviously.

Them warn that one are in Super something. I am writing from booted Slitaz now.

But ahve not made any save file. I guess them tell about that one on their doc or forum.

Could someone please help me? How does one set up save on ntfs internal hdd on Slitaz ?

I managed to save menu.lst text files from leafpad several times so that works. (One have to mount the HDD first. )

Sadly them have Midori broswer so it looks very different to Firefox. But maybe them have latest FF in some repo?

I guess I keep this Slitaz3 then :) it even do Swedish åäö €

But I don't want to join their forum and then get an angry "Read the fucking Manual answer thrown at me" I am too vulnerable to such jelling or barking and would have to lick my wounds for weeks to recover from the attack. Bitten once never go near a Dog house again :)

so
Last edited by nooby on Wed 24 Aug 2011, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Panic

#69 Post by Colonel Panic »

Nitehawk, there's another FreeBSD live disk I should mention, called FreeSBIE;

http://www.freesbie.org/

(but when I googled for it I got a lot of links about frisbees lol)

However, it's not seen a new release since 2007, so if up to date software is important to you it's probably not worth bothering with (says he, posting from Opera 9.64 in Vector 6).

We're spoilt for choice these days, but Puppy sets a very high standard for anything else (and live disks in particular) to reach.

- CP

laika

#70 Post by laika »

Nooby wrote:I tried to set it up so it has similar permissions and root things as Puppy! I downloaded it from cooking version? link.
Nooby, "cooking" is their most current release between "stables." SliTaz 3.0 is the current stable; the latest cooking was released in May, IIRC, and 4.0 is under development. There are also the "flavors"...

I never tried the frugal install because I never found instruction for doing so on a Linux-formatted HDD. Maybe now I'll follow your example :D

I eventually put FireFox, Xfce and Midnight Commander on 3.0 after stumbling upon a command (writeiso or some such) to copy what I had running onto a LiveCD. I boot to RAM from that.
Nooby wrote: I guess I keep this Slitaz3 then :) it even do Swedish åäö €
Yes, those guys are Northern Europeans, I believe, so maybe the chances of finding Swedish was better?
Nooby wrote:But I don't want to join their forum and then get an angry "Read the fucking Manual answer thrown at me" I am too vulnerable to such jelling or barking and would have to lick my wounds for weeks to recover from the attack. Bitten once never go near a Dog house again :)
Haha! No answer at all seems to be more likely there. I haven't used their forum much, because their 3.0 was so close to the perfect distribution for me. Midori crashed alot, and their was some trick to getting Flash working on FF, but everything else behaved nicely with me.

nooby

#71 Post by nooby »

Thanks. So how does one save to the HDD then. I mean persistence. How does one set up a save file sort of?

Nope them are not Nordic them are proud guys from France or French speaking Switcherland something :) I doubt them care about åäö

lowrider

#72 Post by lowrider »

@topic
I've done a really crazy "Distrohopping" in the past. Going from all sort of Debian Derivatives to slackware, any kind of what uses E17, any Arch Distro i can get and forth and back... What i like most at the time are these minimalistic (in use of Ram) Distros like Archbang, Rexbang, Crunchbang (yeah, i am the type of guy that likes to be BANGED :-) ). Now i am sticked to Crunchbang Linux because it is rocksolidstable and there is this huge Debian repository in the back... really like it.

laika

#73 Post by laika »

nooby wrote:Thanks. So how does one save to the HDD then. I mean persistence. How does one set up a save file sort of?
I never learned how :oops: At first, I booted from the 3.0 LiveCD and configured my DSL connection anew each session. Then I came upon that writeiso business in their Tazlito Manual - SliTaz Live Tool. That made a snapshot of my set-up as it existed at that moment. I burned the iso from that and use it to boot now, and have my desktop and browser of choice, plus no need to configure pppoe each time. But that's not a save file at all; I still manually save bookmarks and whatnot to files on a HDD or in the so-called cloud (Google Mail, Picasa, Ubuntu One). Because I play with different live distributions, I don't always bother with actual savefiles in the Puppy sense. I don't use a computer in such a way as requires me to save much.
nooby wrote:Nope them are not Nordic them are proud guys from France or French speaking Switcherland something :) I doubt them care about åäö
Ah, my ignorance shows itself :oops: I thought they were Swiss and lumped them in with Nordic types. Not to worry though, since for whatever reason they've got åäö for you!

Colonel Panic

#74 Post by Colonel Panic »

lowrider wrote:@topic
I've done a really crazy "Distrohopping" in the past. Going from all sort of Debian Derivatives to slackware, any kind of what uses E17, any Arch Distro i can get and forth and back... What i like most at the time are these minimalistic (in use of Ram) Distros like Archbang, Rexbang, Crunchbang (yeah, i am the type of guy that likes to be BANGED :-) ). Now i am sticked to Crunchbang Linux because it is rocksolidstable and there is this huge Debian repository in the back... really like it.
I've heard good things about Crunchbang. Mint (also based on Ubuntu) is getting "difficult" IMO for anyone with an old computer and only 512 MB of RAM. I tried to install it on my machine but the installer hung when I was trying to set the timezone :(

At the moment I'm posting from Swift (as mentioned in my sig), which is based on AntiX and is a good distro for old computers. It can also access the Debian repos, though in my experience you're often better off googling for the packages and then typing "dpkg -i" to install them..
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

harii4

#75 Post by harii4 »

I'm looking for an minimalistic slackware Distros .
Really like the slackware tools pkgtools, slapt-get and gslapt.
Thank you BIG_BASS for that - i'm hooked :D
For now its 3.02 "StarDrop" and TXZ_PUP - slackware with training wheels.
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

Colonel Panic

#76 Post by Colonel Panic »

harii4 wrote:I'm looking for an minimalistic slackware Distros .
Really like the slackware tools pkgtools, slapt-get and gslapt.
Thank you BIG_BASS for that - i'm hooked :D
For now its 3.02 "StarDrop" and TXZ_PUP - slackware with training wheels.
Basic Linux is a minimalistic Slackware distro. It's the one I started out with, but I don't know if it's still being developed;

http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/

I have fond memories of BasicLinux from 2005, surfing the Internet in Opera 5 with a Pentium P100 with only 32 MB of RAM. :)

However, there are more options now. I'd say try Turbo Puppy (or Turbo Extreme) if you've got a really old computer, or possibly Puppy PULP, before you try anything else.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#77 Post by nooby »

Thanks Laika, that solution is a good one too. It means that you could have it on a stick with you and it is already set up to go? Unless the hardware on that computer act up in some way.

Good that you told me that one could do such a thing. That way hopefully it would also remember åäö and that I want to be root :)

laika

#78 Post by laika »

nooby wrote:It means that you could have it on a stick with you and it is already set up to go? Unless the hardware on that computer act up in some way.
Good point, nooby! That method copies configurations for the particular hardware on which it's running at that time, so the resulting iso might not behave well on another machine with different hardware. Also, it copies whatever passwords and other information on the machine at that moment, which is something to consider from a privacy/security aspect.

Also, there may be a boot option with SliTaz to instruct it to mount a home directory at boot. Maybe a knowlegeable person could make that an equivalent to a savefile? Read the splash screen or hit F5 (or is F6?) before she boots for more instruction.

tikbalang

#79 Post by tikbalang »

laika wrote:
Also, there may be a boot option with SliTaz to instruct it to mount a home directory at boot. Maybe a knowlegeable person could make that an equivalent to a savefile? Read the splash screen or hit F5 (or is F6?) before she boots for more instruction.

slitaz works in the opposite manner as puppy. it is the root filesystem that is compressed in rootfs.gz and userspace is specified in "home=UUID". there is no need to save rootfs unless the user wants to keep core changes, newly installed apps. application config are stored in /home/username/*.

Code: Select all

title SlitazX
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /slitaz/slitazx.lst
kernel /boot/bzimage rw root=/dev/null home=4039-E1EC autologin lang=en_US kmap=us vga=789 screen=1024x768x24
initrd /boot/rootfs.gz

above is my configfile for grub4dos and it works for usb and hd frugal install. one just need to specifiy the correct UUID for "home=".

laika

#80 Post by laika »

tikbalang, thanks for making that business of a persistent home userspace for SliTaz clearer! It's not something that I've tried, but I may well put that trick to use. Very good of you to spell it out for us.