Wary Tiny (81mb)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tman

Wary Tiny (81mb)

#1 Post by Tman »

** If running from the Live-CD for the first time, please choose Pristine Boot Mode to avoid the overwriting of any "warysave" files you might have on your system.

Click here to download Wary Tiny 5.1.1
MD5: 4da8a4b6463483187581a105fc4b2bf1

Last Updated: Aug-28-2011

This was more of a side project, as my main focus is on improving Solidpup.
What I did was I took Wary 5.1.1-small and cut out all of the big apps such as:
- mplayer, flashplayer, seamonkey, abiword, gnumeric.
- a lot of smaller apps were removed as well.

Basically I use this puplet for one main purpose; to run virtualbox on a test system that has limited RAM.
But since I decided to share it, I prettied it up and added some small but useful apps.

Compatable software can be found in the Wary-based Solidpup thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0d09c9fc94

This puplet is offered AS IS.

Enjoy! :)
Attachments
WaryTiny-pic.jpg
Wary Tiny pic
(99 KiB) Downloaded 2632 times
Last edited by Tman on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 23:55, edited 8 times in total.

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

Nice size and a decent base with some interesting takes ('standard' and most other offerings haven't appealed to me much lately - either too big, too restricted or :| ).

A moment of consternation after the initial run and save (using liveCD multisession) - by default Tiny starts 'clean' (it took me a few tries to realize that I'd have to select the 'saved session' or 2nd boot option :oops: for continuing on in a progressive manner). Very useful to have a fairly clean base with not much in the way (and that easily dealt with, not 'fighting' it to get it to do what you want).

Actually put together a dual-version (old&new) xfe package with addons and new tweaks, but need to trim the fat (4 mb :lol: - Mr Murga sure isn't going to let me attach that here!) but here's a sample screenie for levity

Good job and thanks again, Tman.
:D

Tman

#3 Post by Tman »

Hi f00:
Good to hear that you found a use for this side project of mine. I see your point about the Live-CD booting clean by default. I did it becuase, I was afraid that Loading saved sessions would mess up people's warysave files..(from other wary-based pups). Perhaps it would be a better idea to change the boot order to what puppyians are normally accustomed to. I now realize that it is much better this way, if you are running from a multi-session CD...no need to choose the "Load Saved Session" option all the time.
It only occured to me after I read your post, as I only use Live-CD's for remastering purposes. I always do frugal installs by extracting the ISO to a new folder with ISOMaster, and then adding an entry in the Grub4Dos menu.lst file. Should I remaster it? Ah..why not...it's done! :D. I added info for SFS-Exec while I was at it -- a very quick remaster.
Take Care!

BHINTZ

#4 Post by BHINTZ »

Just a quick note of encouragement. I have been using wary tiny with wine and portable apps. The only issue I have encountered is with Iron or chromium. I have been unable to get either to run in this OS.

I also use solidpup quite often as both of these work quite well on my laptop - thinkpad T40

bob

Darkgame

#5 Post by Darkgame »

can u make a lucid tiny if possible?

petihar

#6 Post by petihar »

Hello,
Oh yes a lucid525 tiny would be fine .... please Tman :roll:
petihar

pdrito

Lucid Tiny

#7 Post by pdrito »

Yes, Yes, Yes,

¡¡¡ That Tiny Lucid please. !!!

Is possible to have a version with xorg 7.5 natively on it ??

Thanks a lot for your work Tman.

Tman

#8 Post by Tman »

Hello all:

Sorry.. a Lucid Tiny probably is a no go..I recommend Lucid Lite for that.
If I remove the same apps from Lucid as I did from Wary small..I estimate that it will be around 100 megs. Wary small is only 105megs and Lucid is 128.

BHINTZ: I wish I could help you with the Iron-Chromium issue, but I have not really used them that much, let alone dissect their individual files. I assume that one of the apps which I have removed in Tiny has dependencies required for those browsers. I think I have a list saved somewhere. I will look for it on the weekend. I am quite busy at the moment and just wanted to get on murga-linux to quickly check and reply to my messages. An off-the-wall-guess would be to try installing sqlite and or flashplayer.

EDIT: When I said "list", I meant a list of what files I've removed from Wary-small to make Wary Tiny.
Last edited by Tman on Sun 21 Aug 2011, 03:32, edited 2 times in total.

Darkgame

#9 Post by Darkgame »

Owww... Alright, i will try lucid lite

Tman

#10 Post by Tman »

For those who are interested, here is a list of what I removed from Wary-small to create Wary Tiny. Unfortunately, I don't have a list of what I've added.
abiword, afternoonstalker, asunder, axel
ayttm, batrachians, bcrypt, burgerspace
cgtkcalc, cosmosmash, desktop_icon_themes, didiwiki
ffconvert, flashplayer,fpm2, gdmap
gmeasures, gnumeric, goffice, gpptp
gtkam, gtk themes, hicolor-icon-theme, homebank
inkscapelite, jwm2, jwmconfig2, maze-rays
mhwaveedit, mplayer_codecs, mplayer_gui, mplayer-plugin
nicoedit, notecase, ogle, ogle_gui, osmo
pbackup, pdvdrsab, peasyscan, pmetatagger
pmirrorget, pnethood, pplog, pprocess
pptp, precord, prename, psip
ptiming, puppy-podcast-grabber, pupradio
pure_ftpd, pzchmview, rubix, seamonkey
sfs-convert, sgtt, snap2, sqlite
ssh_gui, xclip, xfprot, xlock_gui
xsane, xsoldier, ycalc, you2pup
Edit: for the updated version of Wary Tiny, I've added a newer sqlite from the repository. If I rememeber correctly, the original version doesn't have sqlite installed.
Last edited by Tman on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

Darkgame

#11 Post by Darkgame »

what about tiny 4.3.1? I know its outdated but i can make use of it

Tman

#12 Post by Tman »

Darkgame,
At the moment I am busy working on a Lucid-based version of Solidpup, named Slickpup. I am still working out a few quirks which I have discovered while testing it. After that I might totally redo Solidpup and base it on Shinobar's International Wary, if he's okay with it.

I might consider trying to make a tiny puppy 4.3.1 for learning purposes, but it may take some time. My first puppy was Lucid 5.1, which I used briefly, before I switched to Quirky NOP. Now I mainly use my own creations and I haven't tried very many of the older pups and am not as familiar with how packages are put together. So the answer to your question is ...maybe.

I haven't tried this myself, but you might wanna try: Browserlinux

Based on Puppy 4.3.1, it's only 77mb and has Firefox included.

Darkgame

#13 Post by Darkgame »

alright. Thanks

Tman

#14 Post by Tman »

Wine 1.3.22 SFS can be found here: http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/

I haven't tested it thouroughly, but it seems to be compatable with both Wary and Lucid Pup. Thanks, coolpup.

Trobin

#15 Post by Trobin »

Just thought I'd link this here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=690

If anyone's interested.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

laika

#16 Post by laika »

I'm thinking of trying Tiny Wary on an old laptop that I saved from the trash heap. 475mHz cpu, 128mb RAM. Wary works well with older and low resource computers, correct? Raffy's Safe Pup from 2007 works if not much of a load is thrown at it, but some of the newer Puppies won't boot in a graphical/X mode. I'm certainly not married to X, but I can't type and obviously there's more stuff available on a graphical desktop.
Trobin wrote:If anyone's interested.
Actually, I am curious about edbrowse. Does it compare with Lynx or Links, or is it something else altogether (does it speak)? What is its advantage to sight challenged people?

Tman

#17 Post by Tman »

Trobin

Thanks for the link to Puppy for the Blind. I found it an interesting read and hope you get a stable working puplet based on the ideas which you have described.

laika
Yes Wary is designed for older hardware, but for your system you might want to try: Classsic Pup 2.14X by ttuuxxx, which should work for even older hardware. Make sure you make a swap file, since your ram is very limited.

laika

#18 Post by laika »

Tman wrote:...but for your system you might want to try: Classsic Pup 2.14X by ttuuxxx, which should work for even older hardware.
Thanks for that suggestion, Tman! Come to think of it, the old Safe Pup that worked somewhat may be 2.14, so this Classic Pup may be just the thing. Very kind of you to mention it.

And swap! Why didn't I think of that? It's been so long since I made a swap file because people are trashing a more powerful class of machine now :) This laptop is a bit of a throwback to more modest resources, but a perfectly good machine nonetheless. I'll wring some more use from it one way or another, but Classic Pup and a swap file are both excellent suggestions.

I've already downloaded Wary Tiny, so I'll give it a spin on a more current machine. Thanks for making it available to the community!

Trobin

#19 Post by Trobin »

Edbrowse does offer a lot to visually-challenged people. In fact there is quite an active community of people using it.

It doesn’t speak, per se, but works quite well with screen readers and TTS systems, such as espeak, festival, flite, and others.

Mcewanw’s foksfeyercore installs Speech dispatcher, espeak, and yasr, which work well with Edbrowse.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=172879

Give it a shot. You might like it. I believe that Mcewanw tested Foksyfeyer on a 214 based puppy so it should work. Download it at the above link and follow the instructions.

One thing though, Edbrowse is based on a line editor, and won’t display anything until told to do so.

Edited to add that Edbrowse is included in Foksyfeyer.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

Tman

#20 Post by Tman »

Thank You, Trobin. I am not visually impaired, but may give Edbrowse a whirl just to see what it's like.

laika
Since you've already downloaded Wary Tiny, it wouldn't hurt to see if it would run on your laptop. I haven't tested it on any system that old, so I can't be sure if it works or not. Let us know if it does, ok?