Cut and copy for window manager; f.s. browser location bar

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy

Cut and copy for window manager; f.s. browser location bar

#1 Post by Guest »

newbee here .. maybe having a decent window manager that at least has a cut and copy command. The copy command works on its own and u have to instantly specify where to copy to. Thats sometimes difficult. Dragging and holding shift key is not always easy. And one last thing the fs browser should have a location bar so it's easy to know where we are. Thanks.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

rox is easy to use, powerful, and convenient

to make a copy of a file or folder in the same folder using Windows, you would:
right click the file
click Copy
right click the folder
click Paste
a copy of the original file will be created, with a name something like "Copy of myfile.txt"
if you don't like that name, you will have to:
right click the file
click Rename
type in your new name

to do the same thing with rox (make a copy of a file or folder in the same folder), you would:
right click the file
click Copy
type the new name (for example, to copy myfile.txt to myfile2.txt, i would press the right arrow key and press 2)

it seems easier to do it using rox

to copy a file from one folder to another, you would just drag it with the left mouse button

when you are in a rox folder, you can open another rox window by middle-clicking on any folder (or rox button, like the Home button) ... often, you want to open a folder (just middle-click it) or the parent folder (just middle-click the rox up-arrow button)

if you need to go to a different folder, you can setup your rox bookmarks to the folders you use the most ... just press 1 or 2 or 3 or any of the 10 number keys ... to setup a bookmark, just navigate to the folder you want, hold the ctrl key and press the number key ... for example, go to my-documents and press ctrl+4 ... now you can go to my-documents instantly just by pressing 4

to move a file, do exactly the same thing as copying a file, except drag the file with the middle mouse button ... you will get a menu (copy, move, link) ... click Move

to make a symlink (just like copy, except it doesn't take up any space on the drive), drag with the middle mouse button and click Link

to make a symlink to a file in the same folder, right click the file (or folder) and click Link ... just like making a copy of a file in the same place

you can select more than one file (or folders) and copy or move or symlink them all at once

you can open as many rox windows as you like ... if you open 2 rox windows, you have the same abilities as a 2 pane file manager ... but you can open 3 or 4 or 5 rox windows just as easily

the name of the folder you are in is on the title bar at the top of the rox window ... sometimes the whole path will not be visible if the path is long

i find rox very easy to use ... i miss it when i have to use Windows, or Konqueror

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Ian »

I have to agree with Guest Too of all the file managers I have encountered Rox is the cleanest looking and the easist and quickest to use.