Software for transferring photos from Nokia 6555b [SOLVED]

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
majorfoo

Software for transferring photos from Nokia 6555b [SOLVED]

#1 Post by majorfoo »

I am trying to find software that will allow me to transfer photo's from nokia 6555b cell phone to lucid 525/528 or 529 using usb cable connected to phone and usb port on computer.

I have a nokia usb adapter CA-101 that I use on Windows XP where the phone shows up as another drive. I can copy pictures from/to phone without any problems.
When I plug the usb cable into the linux box, nothing appears on screen as any type device.

Solving this is one of the final applicaions that I use in Windows.
Would like to be 100% Linux

thanks
majorfoo
Last edited by majorfoo on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 11:54, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

should work easily with puppy.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6555-2071.php

I have an Nokia E75 a bit more expensive but not much more advanced?
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e75-2688.php

Hope that site is seen as spam something??? Just show the spec don't look at the site as such :)

Now I used it today to transfer three big pictures from the camera archive on the E75 to my puppy. Very easy.

I first put the cable in the Nokia. Then I boot up puppy and wait until all have settled. Then I plug in the USB to the computer. That is important.

Puppy need to do everything in it's boot up first to the desktop.

When I put in the USB cable the E75 ask me if I want to see E75 as a mass storage memory. and even if I ignore it it just accept to be such a memory by default automatically.

Then after some seconds maybe 10 or so a small icon comes up in the lower left corner over the other icons so I drag it to a free space and click on it to mount it and I have access to many things on the internal memory of the E75. I don't trust that I ahve access to the SD card. I am too stupid to know if I have that. Nothing indicate that I have so I use an adapter to access the SD card. No big deal.

so why would it fail for your nokia 6555b ? No reason it would fail at all.

Try to do things step for step and write down everything so you get a structured knowledge of what goes on and exactly why it fails. Maybe chose another puppy?

I use Snow Puppy and that one works very good. One can also refresh the pmount to help it see new things attached maybe? Experiment a bit!

I leave you now to others that can help you out. Unless you just wanted to talk good about Ms Win and talk bad about Puppy? You want us to help you?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

majorfoo

#3 Post by majorfoo »

nooby wrote:should work easily with puppy.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6555-2071.php

I leave you now to others that can help you out. Unless you just wanted to talk good about Ms Win and talk bad about Puppy? You want us to help you?
thanks for your quick response.
I looked at url shown above and this only shows information about phone. I did not see any software mentioned that would enable me to move pictures from phone to computer.

I plugged cable in just as you mentioned and waited and waited.
no icons appeared.

[/quote]I ABSOLUTELY do not want to talk good about ms and talk bad about puppy. [/quote]

As stated in my original post, this is one of last applications that I run on a windows pc because I cannot find way to do same thing in puppy

What application do you run in puppy to get pictures from phone to pc

majorfoo

majorfoo

Software for Transferring photos from Nokia 6555b (RESOLVED)

#4 Post by majorfoo »

I finally found answer to my own question and am providing as information to others, if desired

Adapter cable is required with usb connector on one end and phone adapter on other. Mine is Nokia Type CA-101.

Plug cable to phone and PC

On phone
Open Settings Menu
Select Connectivity
Select USB Data Cable
Select Data storage
STOP at this point on phone

Go to Pc and mount USB device
Pictures are in folder = images

You can copy from/to this folder
When you are finished, UNMOUNT USB device on PC first.
Then press back button on the phone which disconnects phone from PC..

My wife has a Nokia model 6350

Steps are same as above. Only difference is where 6355 uses Data Storage, the 6350 uses Data Select.

Finding answer to this question, will allow me to basically retire my windows XP machine

majorfoo

edited 1 time - majorfoo

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Ah sorry, them made it that involved on those models. The more expensive ones have an more easy menu that comes up automatically.

Good that you forgave my teasing and found the answer and shared it with us. I apology for being a jerk.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

majorfoo

#6 Post by majorfoo »

nooby wrote:Ah sorry, them made it that involved on those models. The more expensive ones have an more easy menu that comes up automatically.

Good that you forgave my teasing and found the answer and shared it with us. I apology for being a jerk.
I was not aware that you were teasing. Sounded pretty sincere at time of post, especially when you placed last comment in bold face type.

majorfoo