Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 19:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Cheap machines ideal for Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 9 of 11 [154 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Author Message
parwrench

Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jan 2010, 10:04    Post subject: acer aspire revo r1600
Subject description: works great
 

picked up for just over 200$ .. came with xp.... not any more. installed puppy 4.31 from a 2 gig jump drive without a hitch cept some dummy forgot to make the partition bootable.
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/acer-aspire-revo-ar1600/4505-3118_7-33777218.html
Very Happy
i am impressed with graphix and hd audio. i have paid more for video cards in the old days.
hmmmm....theres only 1 screw in the case...i wonder what happens when i take it out????

acer aspire revo r1600
intel atom 230@1.6ghz
1 gig ddr ram
nvidia ion graphics 512mb
intel hd audio
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger 
ICQ Number 
mrreality13

Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Posts: 95
Location: arlington texas

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jan 2010, 15:39    Post subject: Re: acer aspire revo r1600
Subject description: works great
 

parwrench wrote:
picked up for just over 200$ .. came with xp.... not any more. installed puppy 4.31 from a 2 gig jump drive without a hitch cept some dummy forgot to make the partition bootable.
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/acer-aspire-revo-ar1600/4505-3118_7-33777218.html
Very Happy
i am impressed with graphix and hd audio. i have paid more for video cards in the old days.
hmmmm....theres only 1 screw in the case...i wonder what happens when i take it out????

acer aspire revo r1600
intel atom 230@1.6ghz
1 gig ddr ram
nvidia ion graphics 512mb
intel hd audio

how do you like this ?i looked at 1 at a best buy for same price-$199.00 -im thinkin bout getin 1 to replace a older pc in bedroom for music/video streaming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Aitch


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 6825
Location: Chatham, Kent, UK

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb 2010, 03:35    Post subject:  

I don't like Acer, but I gotta include this one @ £150

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/09/02/acer-aspire-revo-3600-hits-back-at-eee-box/

The Aspire Revo3600 has Nvidia Ion full 1080p graphics engine
+ Atom 230 processor & up to 1Gb DDR ram

Look out for dual Atom powered versions with Nvidia Ion in netbooks soon

I might even upgrade my CarPC project with one of them....

If only someone would do a LinuxICE with Puppy instead of *buntu... Very Happy

Aitch Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
oldroy


Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Posts: 20
Location: Alberta, Canada

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar 2010, 14:44    Post subject: Free machine
Subject description: Cheap machines ideal for puppy
 

Hello,

I am retired and volunteer a couple of time per week at a local thrift store where people often dump off obsolete computers, etc that we usually haul to the recycling center at our own expense.

Typically:

160 mhz pentium
48 meg EDO RAM
CDROM drive (Won't boot from that, have to use floppy)
Serial mouse only
2 hard drives, 1 6.4 gig, 1 about 1 gig , both wiped clean

Partitioned both drives, linux swap file, ext3 file system

Used wakepup and booted from Puppy 4.3 CD

Worked but glacially slow.

Found a couple of 32 meg EDO RAM chips my junk and installed.

Did Puppy full install.

I am typing this on that machine now and its not the fastest thing in the world but its tolerable and user friendly. Not bad for a free computer.

FWIW I have Lighthouse pup on an old HP 4150 that my totally non-geeky wife uses and als have a Debian lenny box.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
amigo

Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 2238

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar 2010, 17:43    Post subject:  

You'll find that a normal installation to hard drive will work better on such low-end hardware.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
looseSCREWorTWO

Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 812
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar 2010, 03:08    Post subject: Cheap machines ideal for Puppy  

Here in New South Wales they have some funny laws designed to keep Insurance Companies (and Micro$oft ?) happy, which means few of the Thrift stores sell second-hand electronics, including computers. This only applies to New South Wales - in other Australian States the Thrift Stores and the Opp Shops sell heaps of electronic goods.

The good news is that we can buy computers from Recycling Centres and Garbage Tips for $5 - $20. Usually they don't work, but usually it's cos some dweeb in the IT Department pulled out the RAM and the Hard Drive (or wiped the HDD clean) before the company tossed the PC in the rubbish bin.

The Recycling Centres also sell computer bits and pieces cheap, so for well under $50 you can put together a working Dinosaur PC, then install Puppy Linux and the Dino PC will run like a champion.

This message is coming to you from a year-2000 Toshiba laptop with 117 mb of RAM and an 800 mhz Pentium 3 CPU. Oh, and it has no Hard Drive, by the way. Boots from a floppy, then uses a USB Flash Drive as a make-believe Hard Drive. Total cost = $10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1511

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar 2010, 06:30    Post subject: Re: Cheap machines ideal for Puppy  

looseSCREWorTWO wrote:
Here in New South Wales they have some funny laws designed to keep Insurance Companies (and Micro$oft ?) happy, which means few of the Thrift stores sell second-hand electronics, including computers. This only applies to New South Wales - in other Australian States the Thrift Stores and the Opp Shops sell heaps of electronic goods.

The good news is that we can buy computers from Recycling Centres and Garbage Tips for $5 - $20. Usually they don't work, but usually it's cos some dweeb in the IT Department pulled out the RAM and the Hard Drive (or wiped the HDD clean) before the company tossed the PC in the rubbish bin.

The Recycling Centres also sell computer bits and pieces cheap, so for well under $50 you can put together a working Dinosaur PC, then install Puppy Linux and the Dino PC will run like a champion.

This message is coming to you from a year-2000 Toshiba laptop with 117 mb of RAM and an 800 mhz Pentium 3 CPU. Oh, and it has no Hard Drive, by the way. Boots from a floppy, then uses a USB Flash Drive as a make-believe Hard Drive. Total cost = $10.


This is wonderful, saving machines from the skip. One of the great advantages of Puppy is that it can boot from a flash drive and doesn't need a hard drive to boot and run from.

_________________
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running Puppy Slacko 5.9.3, Puppy EmSee v2.1, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
looseSCREWorTWO

Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 812
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar 2010, 02:58    Post subject: Cheap machines ideal for Puppy  

I have put together several working computers (which I define as a PC that can surf the Web and play a DVD movie) from stuff found in skips, laneways and thrown out with the rubbish. There is a disturbing trend where people chuck out a perfectly good PC just because it's last years model. 90 percent of the time when you stick in some RAM the old PC will Boot Up. On the rare occasions where the PC can't be salvaged I strip it for spare parts. With the ones that I get going, I either sell them cheap or else give them away to an Opp Shop/ Thrift Shop /Recycling Centre so they can sell it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mechmike

Joined: 29 Nov 2005
Posts: 103
Location: Pelham, AL

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul 2011, 20:53    Post subject:
Subject description: ASUS Pundit A8 Pentium 4 2.4GHz 512MB 40GB CD - $59 USD
 

Edit 02/2014 - the link originally posted no longer exists...

$59 USD, has FireWire and card reader...

Last edited by mechmike on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 15:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1511

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2011, 06:11    Post subject: Re: Cheap machines ideal for Puppy  

looseSCREWorTWO wrote:
I have put together several working computers (which I define as a PC that can surf the Web and play a DVD movie) from stuff found in skips, laneways and thrown out with the rubbish. There is a disturbing trend where people chuck out a perfectly good PC just because it's last years model. 90 percent of the time when you stick in some RAM the old PC will Boot Up. On the rare occasions where the PC can't be salvaged I strip it for spare parts. With the ones that I get going, I either sell them cheap or else give them away to an Opp Shop/ Thrift Shop /Recycling Centre so they can sell it.


Great. I wish there were more people like you in the UK (where I live). I might even do it myself if I had transport and could drive (to pick up the discarded PCs from the skips).

_________________
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running Puppy Slacko 5.9.3, Puppy EmSee v2.1, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mechmike

Joined: 29 Nov 2005
Posts: 103
Location: Pelham, AL

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2011, 23:46    Post subject:
Subject description: 2.8 P4 IBM SFF desktop, 512MB, 40GB, CD, Ubuntu, $39.00 US
 

Edit 02/2014 - the link originally posted no longer exists...

IBM ThinkCentre S50 8183

Review #3 is from a Puppy user who bought two...

Last edited by mechmike on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 15:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Aitch


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 6825
Location: Chatham, Kent, UK

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug 2011, 08:13    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
Great. I wish there were more people like you in the UK (where I live). I might even do it myself if I had transport and could drive (to pick up the discarded PCs from the skips).


I know a guy who rigged up a bike trailer for just that purpose

I've been doing recycling PCs for years, as I'm retired and bored, and giving them away with different versions of puppy on, sometimes with free instructions, too
ebay is a good source for cheap guaranteed spares, like memory or processor/cdr/dvdr/hard drive upgrades for own builds [I have too many....]

My big niggle is that Local Authority 'recycling centres' don't actually let people recycle computers.....I've been threatened with physical assault as well as legal action, for trying to use perfectly good [often better than I use] PCs, that people have 'taken to the dump'
It's such a darn waste of good re-usable hardware.....I wish it was banned/illegal! gggrrr! Laughing

There are also many local authority approved 'charity recyclers' who charge quite a bit for working PCs, usually with windoze or *buntu on them, having used teen labour to fix them really cheaply, so greed is the motive, not charity....I dislike current charity structures, too

Aitch Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1511

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug 2011, 07:55    Post subject:  

Thanks for that post. A bike trailer would certainly work but it'd be hard going round here (I live on the edge of a moor and it's very hilly here).

"It's such a darn waste of good re-usable hardware.....I wish it was banned/illegal! gggrrr! Laughing "

I actually didn't know that, but that makes me angry too. I don't know if it's true down here in Cornwall.

If you were threatened with physical assault I'd say you had a case for complaint to the council; they absolutely shouldn't be doing that.

My present computer was a gift in 2006 from someone who works for the local education authority, after I'd given some talks for them; it was "surplus to requirements" as apparently no one there wanted a five year old machine (as it was then) for their own use. With only a change of hard drive from 20 GB to a secondhand 30 GB one, It's still going strong 5 years later Smile

I take your point about charity recycled computers but they can still be a bargain compared to new machines. There's a company in Southampton who have some good offers;

http://www.jamies.org.uk/sales.html

_________________
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running Puppy Slacko 5.9.3, Puppy EmSee v2.1, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Dave_G


Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 459

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2011, 17:01    Post subject:  

Recycling old computers is not only fun but saves a heap of cash.
(I'm such a geek and a cheap one at that).

Seriously, if more people re-used old computers just think how many
would be saved from some land fill somewhere.

Unfortunately the current trend is that if a pc is older than 6 months
then it's worthless and nobody wants it.
M$ also contributes to this by releasing it's bloatware that simply won't
run on any hardware except the very latest.

Strange how the authorities all jump on the "green" bandwagon but try
approaching them for a tax refund/credit because you are using a 5 year
old computer for your day to day needs and thus helping the environment
and they look at you as if you have just landed from the planet Zog.

A popular "activity" by some companies (sometimes under the guise of a charity)
is to buy up older computers by the truck load often at very little cost
from big corporates that can no longer depreciate the hardware and the cost
of dumping the computers exceeds their book value ( or have
been conned into upgrading their pc's to run win7) then sell
them off to third world countries then also claim from the
government due to some little known tax incentive for the export of I.T.
related products.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mechmike

Joined: 29 Nov 2005
Posts: 103
Location: Pelham, AL

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2011, 19:06    Post subject: $139 USD VIA 15" laptop...
Subject description: HP Neoware m100 KH188AA 15" Notebook
 

Edit 02/2014 - the link originally posted no longer exists...

From the link:
Quote:
This HP Neoware m100 is mobile thin client is your ticket to secure and reliable client computing! This KH188AT is powered by a VIA Edem 800 MHz processor and includes 512 MB DDR2 memory.

This Neoware m100 includes VIA S3 graphics as well as integrated audio with stereo speakers. Connect to high-speed networks and hosts via integrated IEEE 802.11b/g wireless LAN or integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet. This Neoware m100 includes a Li-ion battery and an AC power adapter and is built using low-power components...

Last edited by mechmike on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 15:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 9 of 11 [154 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1224s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0303s) ][ GZIP on ]