Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nooby

#81 Post by nooby »

tikbalang wrote:

Code: Select all

title SlitazX
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /slitaz/slitazx.lst
kernel /boot/bzimage rw root=/dev/null home=4039-E1EC autologin lang=en_US kmap=us vga=789 screen=1024x768x24
initrd /boot/rootfs.gz
above is my configfile for grub4dos and it works for usb and hd frugal install. one just need to specifiy the correct UUID for "home=".

title SliTaz cooking 
  kernel (hd0,2)/slitaz3boot/bzImage rw root=/dev/null slitaz vga=771 nosmp acpi=off 
  initrd (hd0,2)/slitaz3boot/rootfs.gz
What does this part do? /slitaz/slitazx.lst why should it do autologin?
Thanks, I managed to boot without the UUID. You mean it can only save changes if one give it the UUID thing.

What was it one did to get UUID
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

tikbalang

#82 Post by tikbalang »

home=4039-E1EC
- sets the partition to use for persistence
- in fat32, UUID = serial number of partition
- in linux console, type "blkid" to get a list of UUID's for your own disks.

autologin
- autologin as tux/tux in slitaz
- only needed once for hd/usb install

lang=en_US
kmap=us
vga=789
screen=1024x768x24
- sets desktop options at boot time

/slitaz/slitazx.lst
- grub4dos configfile

nooby

#83 Post by nooby »

Thanks but that is why I don't use this one.

autologin

I could be wrong but if one delete that one then it ask for log in and that allow me to make it more puppy like buy entering root there and then I can save to the hdd I booted from hopefully? I did a test and Slitaz allow me to save text files to the same hdd that I booted in frugal install :) Very good.

So slitaz has it's own grub list. that is kind of cool Okay.

Edit the more I think about it. I mean wow. Slitaz is good apart from it being very slow using midori. I guess it has to do with toram I most likely fail to tell it to load into ram? But Slitaz is even better than Knoppix is it not?

Better than TinyCore so

1. Puppy
2. Slitaz
3. ...

4. ...

all the others :)

tikbalang

#84 Post by tikbalang »

nooby wrote:Thanks but that is why I don't use this one.

autologin

I could be wrong but if one delete that one then it ask for log in and that allow me to make it more puppy like buy entering root there and then I can save to the hdd I booted from hopefully? I did a test and Slitaz allow me to save text files to the same hdd that I booted in frugal install :) Very good.
autologin is only need once for hd/usb install because it will get written to the login manager configfile (/etc/slim.conf). it is required only for the bootcd so user immediately goes to the desktop.

nooby wrote:
So slitaz has it's own grub list. that is kind of cool Okay.
that is only my own grub4dos setup. the original bootcd uses isolinux bootloader.

nooby

#85 Post by nooby »

Godane on his blog seems to have experimented on Slitaz.

Godane's Development Blog

godane.wordpress.com/

Godane's Development Blog ... I hope to have slitaz source iso out later this week but that is not in stone. ...

https://bitbucket.org/godane/my-cookutils/overview ...

What became of that thing? did he improve on it. Did the others like it? He made a script that let one chose what it should include from scratch. A kind of chose your slitaz and build it like Arch?

I know too little him has been silent for some two month about it now so I guess school or work is taking up all his time.

Aitch

#86 Post by Aitch »

nooby

did you see this one?

https://bitbucket.org/godane

this looked interesting, too....maybe suited to puppyfying?

http://godane.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/ ... irror-iso/

Nooby, it seems godane's also involved in arch/archbang hacking

....perhaps you could email him and introduce him to puppy? :wink:

https://github.com/godane/archiso2

http://godane.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/ ... 6-release/

Aitch :)

nooby

#87 Post by nooby »

Thanks Aitch. I have read his blog and the comments there and as I get it him is doing study and work for living at same time and now have no time for computing? His main computer got broke and he could not afford a new one so somebody sent him a used computer so he changed from Arch to Slitaz because that new computer did not have the resources to do serious development for Arch on it. Too demanding I guess. Lack of RAM or something. So that is how him got into Slitaz

I maybe don't remember correctly.

But I did try his version of Archiso. It was the only Arch version that got to boot on my Acer so he seems to be good at what him is doing.

do you get what he wanted to accomplish with Slitaz?
Some kind of build script for modular creating of an iso?

One can decide on each app one want and in the end have a very unique set up?

That would be cool. Now that Slitaz almost works as good as Puppy does? Even save in a save file???
Small and have very much in it from scratch too and big repo?

I am kind of impressed by Slitaz but I know too little to get engaged into it and them would hate me if I joined their forum.

laika

#88 Post by laika »

Nooby wrote:Some kind of build script for modular creating of an iso?

One can decide on each app one want and in the end have a very unique set up?
Nooby, isn't that what SliTaz's Tazlito Tool does? I Haven't bothered to learn
it as SliTaz 3.0 was almost exactly the the distro that I would make for myself if
I knew how.

And speaking of near perfect distros, I'm using Tman's Wary Tiny at the
moment. Very nice!

nooby

#89 Post by nooby »

Yes but Godane wants his own twist on things he did that to Arch too and them had such tools already. He loves to experiment I guess.

But you know more about Slitaz than I do. Could he maybe not have known about it him starting way back in March? maybe them learned it from him or has it existed for a long time? How do them differ?

Anyway I would love to ahve Slitaz on my ntfs and save to some kind of savefile on same partition. How does one set such up?

no use to join their forum them would get upset and tell me to read the manual and I would tell them I fail to read such. And then I get banned for being nasty soemthing. I am not good at being a Linux pupil. So if you know how to do it I would love that you share with us

Colonel Panic

#90 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just one more thought on this; has anyone else tried Swift, which is based on AntiX? I've just upgraded to the new version and it looks like a very good option for someone with an old computer;

http://antix.freeforums.org/post21802.html#p21802

The only real problem I've had with it so far is that my attempts to add new programs from the debian repos have been very "hit and miss", but that's a problem for their user forum rather than Puppy's :)
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#91 Post by nooby »

The only real problem

Yes I ahve tried both AntiX and Swift and for me whom always do frugal install the real problem is that being a live version it by default set the partition one boot from as read only even if one are root or sudo.

I asked Anti about it and AFAIK there are no solution for it.

I trust it works okay as a full install or on USB but not frugal on ntfs.
You can not save a thing on it only read.

Now I am no big fan of Slitaz but that one just works in frugal install while Swift fails to save. So slitaz beats it by horse length.

Colonel Panic

#92 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for your reply Nooby.

I'm having trouble getting the latest Swift (0.1.2) even to install to my hard drive, though the last one (0.1.1) installed OK. I shouldn't really say any more until I've taken my troubles to the AntiX forum (where there's a thread on Swift).

Slitaz does look interesting; it's on my list of "low system requirement" distros to have a look at soon along with Austrumi and perhaps Unity as well. I want to get the best solution I can for an old machine like mine and Puppy will almost certainly be a part of that, but maybe not the whole answer. For nearly all of my time running Puppy (5 years - how time flies!) I've run something else on my computer as well, and quite often more than one Puppy at the same time.

Best,

CP .
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

anticapitalista

#93 Post by anticapitalista »

nooby wrote:The only real problem

Yes I ahve tried both AntiX and Swift and for me whom always do frugal install the real problem is that being a live version it by default set the partition one boot from as read only even if one are root or sudo.

I asked Anti about it and AFAIK there are no solution for it.

I trust it works okay as a full install or on USB but not frugal on ntfs.
You can not save a thing on it only read.

Now I am no big fan of Slitaz but that one just works in frugal install while Swift fails to save. So slitaz beats it by horse length.
Next version of antiX will be more frugal-friendly. We have been working on this since antiX-M11 was released.
Just to let you know, I have been running antiX frugal on an ntfs external usb drive and from an ntfs usb stick and saving files.
We found a solution, hope you give it a test when we release.

nooby

#94 Post by nooby »

Thanks such can be very helpful to people with older low RAM gear.

AntiX does make low impact on RAM so that is a good thing that it also can be used in frugal install with save on same internal hdd that one boot from in future. I don't thing Murga get angry if you tell about it in these part of the forum or maybe in the off topic one even ?

So I do look forward to that news here too.

Colonel Panic

#95 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm posting from an old version of Mint Debian. It seems to need less in the way system resources than standard Debian (I haven't done formal testing) but I think antiX is better for old machines.

Not to mention the fact that the version I've got has got several broken libraries that won't update properly :(

nooby

#96 Post by nooby »

Old??? so old that you can boot in grub legacy or grub4Dos?

Because Debian and Mint and most others have gone over to grub2 has them not?

okay you boot through isolinux maybe that explains it???

Colonel Panic

#97 Post by Colonel Panic »

No, it´s just that it´s not the latest one. Mint 10 Debian (which I've got) seems to need less in the way of system resources than Mint 11 LXDE; it installs and runs comfortably in 512 MB, whereas I´ve only just managed to install Mint 11 LXDE at all in 512 MB and am running it in a lightweight window manager (vtwm) to keep system resources down.

When all is said and done though, it´s still a fine distro. It's just a shame that the time seems to be passing when it can be recommended as a distro for old machines.

nooby

#98 Post by nooby »

Guys don't get angry with me now! I have a 80 year old Mechanic as neighbor and he had used a "doctored" MsWindows that his grandchildren had prepared for free for him so he could do Genaology something. Looking back on elder generations now gone whatever.

But MsWin them don't like doctored versions so them shut it down and locked his machine. Impossible to get by or go around or start up in any other way then to tell MsWin that sorry we abused your property.

So he come to the Noob Guru next door for help. So I made one CD with Puppy Linux on it and one with Linux Mint on it. Number 8 or 9 not sure was some two years ago.

He preferred the Linux Mint and did not like Puppy so much. Well what to do you can only lead the Horse to the Well and then the Horse decide if it taste good or not. :)

Yes something about Mint makes it good but these programs are too big and all the locked in things, so much to learn to just do simple things that just work o Puppy. But him never had to do those things. He checked the email and read newspaper and looked at what next on TV and then shut down. No fancy stuff. Now he has a MsWin him actually payed for instead of using free Linux stuff.

Colonel Panic

#99 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; I've just managed to install Swift, the second time of trying, and am posting from it now. I've posted a comment on the AntiX forum to this effect, and an apology in recognition of the fact that I'd claimed their installer doesn't work when in fact it does (I'm not sure what happened the first time).

Swift 0.1.2 does work!

Regards,

Colonel Panic .

Stripe

#100 Post by Stripe »

hi all

my daughter has linux mint 10 (64bit) on her pc (recent) and it is very impressive for a full distro, but wont let you run as root

stripe