Compiling VectorLinux 2.4.29 kernel from source.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
drj

Compiling VectorLinux 2.4.29 kernel from source.

#1 Post by drj »

got VL5.0 RC2 installed. It uses kernel 2.6.10 to replace 2.4.29 if you use vlapt to upgrade kernel header. I have to download 2.4.9 kernel header separately, but 2.4.29 kernel souce nowhere can be found in VL download sites. Do I have to go kernel.org to get source? It seems VL will be using 2.6 soon (next release?). could someone point me right direction for 2.4.29 kernel souce + NTFS driver + squashfs patch. Thanks a lot

#2 Post by Guest »

Changing the kernel headers is not a real good idea......glibc is usally compiled against a certain set of kernel headers and you can really mess things up if you don't know what your doing...

Yep kernel.org is the place for your kernel source......

But wouldn't a question regarding VL be more suited being posted in a Vector Linux forum

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

You can compile the kernel source on VL, using the same instructions as given on the "How to compile kernel for Puppy" page, except that the "make dep" step is definitely required.

The bottom half of that page has instructions for the 2.4.27 kernel compiled on Slackware, that you can also refer to.

Get the source from kernel.org.
I've attached the ntfs and squashfs patches to this message.

I've compiled 2.4.29 on VL, and installed it, VL runs fine.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

and squashfs patch...
Attachments
squashfs2.1-patch-K2.4.gz
(15.02 KiB) Downloaded 992 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

And attached is the configuration file that was used to create the kernel for Puppy 1.0.4.

So, although I haven't updated the howto web page yet, these attachments are all you need to get going. Plus, read the current web page.
Attachments
config-2july05-2.4.29-pup1.0.4.gz
(10.1 KiB) Downloaded 914 times

drj

#6 Post by drj »

I don't want to change kernel header. vlapt did that for me and messed up. I had to reinstall VL and manually get kernel header for 2.4.29. The way vlapt behavious seems to suggest that VL will use 2.6 as default soon. If Puppy uses VL as developmental platform, it MIGHT mean Puppy 1.0.5+ uses 2.6 kernel. Good or bad, we have to ask Barry

I am interested in VL only because Barry uses it for Puppy development and I know I can get what I am looking for right here and faster.

bladehunter wrote:Changing the kernel headers is not a real good idea......glibc is usally compiled against a certain set of kernel headers and you can really mess things up if you don't know what your doing...

Yep kernel.org is the place for your kernel source......

But wouldn't a question regarding VL be more suited being posted in a Vector Linux forum

drj

#7 Post by drj »

Thanks Bladehunter and Barry. I got all I were looking for

Barry, are you using 2.6 for future Puppy? I am a forward looking :wink:

#8 Post by Guest »

The best thing to do is leave the kernel HEADERS as per the distro and install the kernel SOURCE into /usr/src. If the standard install installs the kernel SOURCE all you have to do is delete the symlink to the old and change it to the new. MidNight commander lets you edit symlinks (just in case you don't know).

Once the kernel source in installed and symlinks fixed

1. Apply the squashfs and ntfs patches

2. make mrproper

3. extract Barry's config

4. copy it the extracted config to .config (notice the dot)

5. make menuconfig

6. make dep

7. make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install

8. copy the new bzImage to your boot directory

9. modify your boot loader so that you have the option of booting with the std kernel or the puppy one

9a. Reboot and all should be well

10. Now a tip for the unwary....If you have alsa installed retrieve the source for the alsa drivers and rebuild them........Tis easy with slack because the source archive also contains the build script which will make a pacakge that can be installed via installpkg.......Not having played with VL much I susupect it may have something similar

11. Recompile any other 3rd party drivers you may have installed and bingo there you go

If you are just wanting to compile apps for Puppy updating the kernel is not required (unless some drivers are part of the package) as long as the libraries are the same as Puppy's.

If anyone is interested and it is worth it I wouldn't mind hosting a pre-patched kernel source for Puppy with the config file in the archive....

Barry are we still getting the depmod errors as we did in 2.4.27 ?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

I'm trying to recall whether depmod produced any error messages ...don't think it did.

Regarding the 2.6 kernel... I'm in no hurry to move up from 2.4 series.

We can implement ALSA in the not too distant future, on 2.4 kernel, so no reason to upgrade from the sound point of view.

Also, the 2.4 series is still being actively developed, so some issues may get improved.