Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 2014, 06:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
[HowTo] Install Skype on Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 5 [69 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
wwaiter

PostPosted: Sat 15 May 2010, 01:00    Post subject: Re: Mic in Skype
Subject description: It doesnt work ((((((((

arslan79 wrote:
Hello! Could anyone here help me?

I`ve just installed Skype (2.0.0.72). Hardware: Acer aspire one 110. The same Puppy with the same Skype works on laptop HP Compaq 6720s. Also, on this netbook (acer aspire one) with Ubuntu 9.04 Skype works well enoogh. Buil-in microphone works. In Puppy`s Skype the built-im mic doesnt work, I tried to setup devices in Preferences, I tried to setup ALSA Mixer - but I cant make this MIC work ((( Please help!

Some of you with laptops that have built in mic's may experience issues with the mic not working with skype and on puppy linux. In my case, i could hear my puffing on the mic via built in speakers and while off of skype, but when on skype it was not able to pick up the sound... so I knew my mic was working.

First i've tried everything, changing the mic settings on skype, checking the Alsamixer and Zmixer, uninstalling then reinstalling, even trying different versions with no avail. Though it did not work for me, I believe you should do the same and simply check.

Then I downloaded another mixer from Puppy Package Manager called Sgmixer 0.3 and wouldn't you know it, it worked! Now people can hear me talking via skype. Just make sure that the volume bar to mic on this mixer is raised.

Also, when checking Alsamixer be sure to hit the tab button s this will allow you to see additional volume/mic settings that do not display in the initial window. Also, make sure that MM's under any of the settings, they should be set to OO. You change change the setting by hitting the M key on your keyboard.

Hope this helps....
pa_mcclamrock

PostPosted: Sat 15 May 2010, 18:30    Post subject: Re: Mic in Skype
Subject description: It doesnt work ((((((((

wwaiter wrote:
I downloaded another mixer from Puppy Package Manager called Sgmixer 0.3 and wouldn't you know it, it worked! Now people can hear me talking via skype.

sGmixer worked for me when others didn't, too. In Puppy 5.0, I'm not seeing it in the Package Manager any more, but I've still got it here: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/sgmixer-0.3.pet.

Visit Pa Penguin's Icebox: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/icebox.html
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 15 May 2010, 23:19    Post subject:  

Maybe there are dependency issues or some such. You should mention to Barry that sGmixer works when others don't, Maybe he'll include it.
Ron

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 18:15    Post subject:  

Iguleder,
I wanted to thank you for the very concise and helpful instructions. It was invaluable and worked right off.
Ron

BTW, this is for lupu 5.1.1
dionisis politis

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec 2010, 08:02    Post subject: portable skype
Subject description: an alternative to installation

http://portablelinuxapps.org/

you can use the above page to download a portable version of skype, right cick it, open properties to make it executable (or from a terminal: chmod +x ), and that's all!
then you can put a symilink to the start application folder to have it launched after booting.
By the way all portable apps work fine with puppy, I have tried a dozen succesfully.
mama21mama

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec 2010, 00:24    Post subject:  

I have the microphone plugged into the back panel. anda microphone and hear it. But the problem is to zoom in on skype test call I is capturing.

Tengo el micrófono conectado en el panel de atrás. anda el micrófono ya que lo escucho. Pero el problema es la captura, en el test call de skype no me esta capturando.

:s
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
frefel

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec 2010, 17:48    Post subject: Re: portable skype
Subject description: an alternative to installation

dionisis politis wrote:
http://portablelinuxapps.org/

you can use the above page to download a portable version of skype, right cick it, open properties to make it executable (or from a terminal: chmod +x ), and that's all!
then you can put a symilink to the start application folder to have it launched after booting.
By the way all portable apps work fine with puppy, I have tried a dozen succesfully.

I download either Skype or KeePass to computer (PL 4.3.1frugal), move it to the usb stick, make it executable (either by permissions or properties) but when I click on the gear nothing happens. The same if I do all that on the downloaded file before moving it to the usb drive.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug 2011, 05:55    Post subject:  

Iguleder - thanks for the tutorial. Worked first time.

I run puppy 4.3.1 on a Toshiba TE2100 laptop.

It has no internal mic so I had to plug in an external one, but found that the three different mics I tried had MASSIVE differences in output (even though they all are standard "computer multimedia headset" types).

Only one of them proved to be satisfactory, and even then I had to switch on the mic boost in Alsa.

(took a while to discover that the MM icon for the boost is toggled by using the "M" key, not the spacebar).

Works with excellent clarity.
killylun

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:47    Post subject:  

hey, using Lucid 5.2.8 on a new hp netbook, booting/running off of usb. i installed skype in the manner described in this thread and it worked fine(in /mnt/home rather than /root), but now when i open the program it disappears after about 8 seconds, not even enough time to log-in to skype. no error message, nothing. i don't know what caused it to start doing this. i don't know how to uninstall it either. total n00b here. if someone can tell me how to uninstall it or how to fix the issue that'd be awesome.
muggins

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2011, 00:11    Post subject:  

Try opening a console, in the skype directory, and run ./skype to see if any errors are generated on the commandline.
killylun

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2011, 03:17    Post subject:  

thanks for the reply Muggins. this is the message i received:

socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
Aborted

after a quick google search i checked my network settings but didn't see anything regarding ipv4 or ipv6 (the protocols in question, i assume). i'll have to look up some commands to get any further or look in the skype conf files since skype doesnt stay open long enough to check any options. not really sure what i'm doing^^
muggins

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2011, 05:18    Post subject:  

I'm using version 2.2.0.25(Beta), and have never experienced any probs. Which version do you have?

Edit: I see the latest static version is 2.2.0.35.
killylun

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2011, 05:41    Post subject:  

i am using the latest static 2.2.0.35. however, i just realized that i have a 64-bit machine (yeah, i'm pretty slow) so i'm going to dump lucid528 for fatdog64-520 asap. then i'll report back with how skype runs on fatdog. thanks for the replies Muggins!
Lenny

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2012, 07:45    Post subject: Skype on puppy does not start  

Hi, im newbie on linux puppy, install Skype on puppy 3.01 like you told on the post, but the skype does not start, i did have all steps and it was on skype dir and put the icon on desktop, but now just dont open the install dialogue.

Thanks

Lenny
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2012, 08:25    Post subject:  

Lenny, how did you install Skype? (What instructions did you follow? Can you give us the URL of the post? The URL of a post in this forum is in the little box to the left of the word "Posted:" at the upper left of the post. Right-click on that box and choose "Copy link location." then Paste the result.)
Page 4 of 5 [69 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: