Problem using Philips LCD TV monitor with Lucid Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
robotgirl

Problem using Philips LCD TV monitor with Lucid Puppy

#1 Post by robotgirl »

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I have been having a problem for quite a while now and I want to finally get to the bottom of it, mostly because I want to use Lucid Puppy. I have an Nvida Geforce 6200 and a Philips 19PFL3504D LCD TV that I use as a monitor, it works fine for the most part and I was very happy with it at first. But I noticed a major problem when I started to try to use Live CDs with it, most of the time the TV would show me the "Format Unsupported" message when it booted into X. I tried many different live CDs and they all did the same thing, except for for Puppy Wary (because of xvesa) and Fedora.
The fact that I can get Wary to work only because of xvesa brought me the the logical conclusion that the problem that it had to do with xorg, Maybe it was using a format my tv wouldn't support. I went and looked and the format it would set on was one that my tv would support, I even went into xorg.config and changed the setting, manually, still nothing. I thought maybe getting the driver for the videocard would solve the prolem, still nothing. I then went to install the newest driver with the installer from their website but I didn't get very far with that because it needed the kernel sorce and the page with the sources is passworded for some reason it seems. Also another complexing point, the Fedora CD works, which in theory it shouldn't because it is using xorg drivers. Also installed linuxes using the same default drivers and the nvidia drives work fine when set to the correct resolutions.

supported resolutions for my TV
640 x 480
800 x 600
1024 x 768
1280 x 768
1360 x 768

any help figuring out this perplexing problem would be greatly appreciated.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Resolution setting + refresh rate is probably the problem. May be selecting a good resolution, but trying to use the wrong refresh rate. Your TV needs 60HZ setting.

Try this:
Boot with the Puppy live CD
At boot screen hit F2 key
use option puppy pfix=nox
At prompt type xorgwizard
select Vesa.
Set resolution.
Select test.
Select test X now.
After test results - select OK.
Select tweak.
Select tweak_xorg.conf
Select tweak_refresh
Scroll up or down ( some selections you will not see without scrolling)
High-lite desired refresh ( you need 60HZ)
Select OK
Select test X now.
If you select one that your hardware will not support, it will stall for a few sec. and fall back to last good setting.
Finish xorgwizard
At prompt type xwin
Should be at desktop.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

robotgirl

#3 Post by robotgirl »

Thank you bigpup, that worked, don't know why I didn't think of that myself. And to what ever mod changed the subject of the thread, I will try to be more descriptive in the future. Sorry.

profaner

#4 Post by profaner »

first of all I want to apologize for refreshing an old topic and making a lot of "noise" in Video section (second topic) but I really need help.

I use Philips TV as a monitor and it works fine only in vesa or Xvesa mode.
Xorgwizard find my card and driver for it I use the supported resolution 1024 x 768 (I found in manual that this is the resolution for DVI in TV) refresh set for 60 Hz and after it I got black screen.

I'll be very grateful for any help and ideas

BR