Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#121 Post by Colonel Panic »

nooby wrote:Sorry if I am a PITA but this ConnochaetOS can them boot frugally then?
I visited their forum and seems none else mention frugal?
No, it doesn't even boot as a live disk. It's designed to be installed to the computer's hard drive and run from there.

Best,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#122 Post by nooby »

Yes it is a real Linux as them usually tell me when I ask about frugal install.

I wish we could come up with a better name for it. poor man install and frugal install is very down putting.

it should ahve a catchy name that is easy to get. Why not rename it to

The easy way to install.

Edit from withing latest Bodhi booted frugally using a iso boot on the NTFS internal HDD but having the needed grub2 on a USB Flash memory and also using both iso and teh Casper files.

I try to make a copy of the code here later if Bodhi allow me to find the Flash somehow.

I am in Midori obviously but have not tested if I can do Flash youtube clips

Code: Select all

menuentry "Bodhi  ISO" {
 loopback loop (hd1,3)/bodhi_1.2.0.iso
 linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/bodhi.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz iso-scan/filename=/bodhi_1.2.0.iso noeject noprompt splash --
 initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz
}
So I dragged all files out on / and also put bodhi_1.2.0.iso on / and then due to Acer having it on third partition I needed to have the
loopback loop (hd1,3)/bodhi_1.2.0.iso
there so it knows where to find it.

I don't know if it really use the Casper directory. Maybe it load it from the iso and that one don't have to drag them out. I am too lazy to test.
But one can get it going but maybe it does not allow me to do much due to me beign"live user" which has write restrictions on the drive one boot from.

The file manager let me see sda1 and sda2 but not sda3. Not applied something it says.

So I will put it on the usb maybe and see if that allow me to see files on sda3.

But I have no idea what to put on the usb or how to boot from it. Sorry.

Can somebody help me out?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#123 Post by Colonel Panic »

'Fraid I don't know much about Bodhi. However, Puppyluvr had a Puppy based on Enlightenment which I've used and enjoyed recently (see my sig).

I've tried to install Zenwalk 7 (Standard) recently but had no luck. The Openbox version of Zenwalk, though, installed and runs fine on my machine so it merits a recommendation from me :).

Not that keen on the default wallpaper though, but you can always change that.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#124 Post by nooby »

Here is how to boot Bodhi on USB from grub2 from usb flash.

make use of the grub2 version that rcrsn51 made for Nooby the link in my signature can find it. I try to edit later today or tomorrow to give link. How to Make a Bootable Flash Drive using GRUB2

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67235
Anyway the boot code is this

Code: Select all

menuentry "Bodhi  ISO" {
 loopback loop /bodhi_1.2.0.iso
 linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/bodhi.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/bodhi_1.2.0.iso noeject noprompt splash --
 initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz
}
so you place the iso on the usb no need to extract anything. frugal iso boot
I am writing from it now to get åäö I did setxkbmap se so if you are German or Frech or Spanish you do the same but change to de or fr or es to get your keyboard map

One are booted as User bodhi but there is not password! How safe is that? I mean every criminal knows that because them tell on their site

now that I can boot from usb then it do allow me to look at all hard disk partition which it did not allow when I was booting from sda3.

The iso is some 350MB big. But Bodhi is not as complete as Puppy is.

but it feels good to be able to use something others talk about

nitehawk

#125 Post by nitehawk »

Well,..I just tried out PC-BSD 8.2 on a spare hard drive (on my Dell Optiplex P4--2.8Ghz--1G ram--160G hd). And Yikes!
I had last used PC-BSD some years ago (about 2007, I think) and it worked very well with the old HP Vectra PIII that I had. But it doesn't play nice with my P4 now. Must be the super-heavy KDE4. I got it installed and booted to a really nice-looking desktop,.....then my poor Dell computer started sounding like a jet plane on take-off !!! The fans started wizzing at full-speed,..and the KDE system monitor said that my 2 CPUs were spiking to 100%. I just shut her down,...and opened the computer case to let it cool down.
I hear that PC_BSD 9 will include other (smaller) desktop environments besides that KDE4 stuff,......so I may try it again then. Meanwhile,...I'm very grateful for Puppy. You know,....it's funny,...but Slackware doesn't almost blow up my computer when I run KDE4 with it,....but then, Pat has trimmed the fat and made it "sleeker" than the other distros that use KDE4.

technosaurus

#126 Post by technosaurus »

just to answer the recurring questions of whether distro x, y or z can boot frugally, here is the general rule of thumb

If it is a live cd, it _can_ be frugally installed (you may need to do some minor modification and manually create a grub entry though)

you may be able to just google <distro> grub menu.lst
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

nooby

#127 Post by nooby »

technosaurus wrote:just to answer the recurring questions of whether distro x, y or z can boot frugally, here is the general rule of thumb

If it is a live cd, it _can_ be frugally installed (you may need to do some minor modification and manually create a grub entry though)

you may be able to just google <distro> grub menu.lst
I guess that if one are on your level of getting linux that works.

But I have done exactly what you say here. Googled <distro> grub menu.lst since at least 2008 and sure I ahve booted frugally distros that none else tried to or told them did. But many many fail to or them don't tel what is needed.

It sounds so easy when you write like that but it is not that easy on a noob level.

Now I boot Bodhi Linux using iso boot on the usb but it would be better to boot it full install on the usb? Because that allow it to be root when I boot? Now I am forced to be user Bodhi that has restricted access.

I guess it most likely don't allow me to install from one usb to another or would that work
I can not go to the Bodhi forum them most likely would tell me to read the Manual
and I fail to read such. Too abstract language on such texts.

amigo

#128 Post by amigo »

Actually, any distro can be made to run from a loop-mounted disk image (the real way to call a frugal installation). All you need is to create a file on the win (or other) partition, loop-mount it and install whatever distro you like there. Then create an initrd which will look for that disk image and mount it as '/'. This magic has been available for a very long time now. That some people consider it inferior or not *real* linux is simply hogwash. Of course there are downsides as well as upsides -the same as with any other type of installation or boot scenario.

nooby

#129 Post by nooby »

Amigo that sounds like Wubi or mint4win or what the name is?
So what am I supposed to do on that usb then? or you mean I can do it on the hdd too and get a full install on that loop mounted file?
I am a pessimist. When one boot a "live" iso then it automatically boot into bodhi user and the partition one boot from is read only.

I would have to do a grub2 install to that loop-mount file so I can boot as root. How does one do that?

Any link to a description? any official name for such installs?

is it something like a casper-rw file is not that loop mounted too?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_device
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-mo ... linux.html

Colonel Panic

#130 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:Well,..I just tried out PC-BSD 8.2 on a spare hard drive (on my Dell Optiplex P4--2.8Ghz--1G ram--160G hd). And Yikes!
I had last used PC-BSD some years ago (about 2007, I think) and it worked very well with the old HP Vectra PIII that I had. But it doesn't play nice with my P4 now. Must be the super-heavy KDE4. I got it installed and booted to a really nice-looking desktop,.....then my poor Dell computer started sounding like a jet plane on take-off !!! The fans started wizzing at full-speed,..and the KDE system monitor said that my 2 CPUs were spiking to 100%. I just shut her down,...and opened the computer case to let it cool down.
I hear that PC_BSD 9 will include other (smaller) desktop environments besides that KDE4 stuff,......so I may try it again then. Meanwhile,...I'm very grateful for Puppy. You know,....it's funny,...but Slackware doesn't almost blow up my computer when I run KDE4 with it,....but then, Pat has trimmed the fat and made it "sleeker" than the other distros that use KDE4.
Yeah, I get the impression that PC-BSD is designed for new, or almost new, computers. I've never read a review of it where the reviewer had less than 2 MB of RAM on the machine. Pity, because I like the concept of a distro which is based on BSD, and yet is easy to install and use, a lot.

nitehawk

#131 Post by nitehawk »

Yes,..Col. "P",....
that is my impression also,..that the PC-BSD (as it is now)...is for ONLY the newest and greatest hardware out there. Well,....as a lot of us know (a lot of us little "quiet" Linux and "alternative" OS's users know).....there are multitudes of us who use older hardware,..and need the Operating Systems that will run on them. That is why we keep coming back (and using) Puppy (amonst others). I think PC-BSD may be a "lost cause" for us (unless the new version #9 with it's various smaller desktop environments) proves me wrong.
Meanwhile,...there is such like as Puppy,..Slackware (Xfce),..Debian (LXde, Fluxbox,..etc. etc.) and others like that.
Not too long ago,...a poster on the MInt forums was "snooting" that new computers were so "cheap" now-a-days,....that there was simply NO excuse for running (what she called) "out-of-date-hardware". Oh yeah???? Welcome to the real world. There are scores upon scores of us "little ones" who still love and have to use our older hardware.
BTW,...Col. "P",....I have (and still use) my HP Vectra PIII that came with 866 Mhz (which I got another motherboard for it off Ebay with 933 Mhz)...but it's a LOT like yours. Love it. (right now my HP Vectra is running Debian 6 with all the games that my grandson loves !!!
1 HP Vectra--PIII-933Mhz--512 Mhz ram--20G hd
(2) Dell Optiplex PIII-1Ghz--1Ghz ram--(various hard drives interchange-able)
1 Dell Optiplex P4--2.8Ghz--1G ram--160hd
At the moment,...I am running one of my Dell Optiplex PIII computers with a 40g hard drive with a "stripped-down" version of Win2K Pro on it (one with that "IERADICATOR" program run on it to completely strip out any traces of IE).
...and it is LOADED with opensource FOSS software !!

Colonel Panic

#132 Post by Colonel Panic »

Good post there nitehawk. I agree, I get very annoyed with people who want to tell me to throw out my old machine when it still runs well with Puppy and other low-resource distros. Sadly, though, we live in a throwaway society nowadays.

P.S. Just noticed that I said "run in 2MB" instead of "2GB" - I wish!

Doglover

#133 Post by Doglover »

PartedMagic 6.3 runs sweetly as a frugal install, has firefox 4.0.1, runs completely in ram and is just darn nice. Posting this from there.

Colonel Panic

#134 Post by Colonel Panic »

Doglover wrote:PartedMagic 6.3 runs sweetly as a frugal install, has firefox 4.0.1, runs completely in ram and is just darn nice. Posting this from there.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. :) I can run the leaner Puppies in RAM but it means going without a number of overheads such as Flash in the browser.

Best,

CP .
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

d4p

#135 Post by d4p »

“I would have to do a grub2 install to that loop-mount file so I can boot as root. How does one do that?

nooby

#136 Post by nooby »

[quote="d4p"]“I would have to do a grub2 install to that loop-mount file so I can boot as root. How does one do that?

Colonel Panic

#137 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've recently downloaded Mint Debian 11 and tested it out on a community computer. It works fine in 1 GB of RAM but I haven't yet managed to get it working on my own machine so I can't say what it'd be like in 512 MB of RAM. At first sight, though, it is pretty impressive.

So for the moment it's replaced ArchBang for me, which for all its good qualities is just too dark and hard to navigate around by comparison.

Colonel Panic

#138 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm giving Salix LXDE a trial at the moment. It certainly looks good but at the moment I can't see what it offers that Zenwalk (from which it appears to be a spinoff project) doesn't. It's more restrictive in what you can do in it than most other Slackware distros are, more like a Debian-based one in that running as root is not encouraged.

nooby

#139 Post by nooby »

Colonel Panic the two distros you mention above both has to be installed on their own partitions?

I've failed to boot them frugally. So either one use CD or USB or format a partition for them. Or else them refuse to boot?

tater

#140 Post by tater »

I'm giving archlinux a try. It's complicated, but lightweight
I've learned how to install kde and it runs good on this old p4 1.7ghz with 512mb ram. I am having trouble getting cups set to see a windows xp shared printer.

I have 2 hdd's so my second one does all the frugal installs of puppy and I use grub4dos to hook the boot loader.

I'm looking at mepis and may try it, though it's a big download.

Lucid 528 is my main puppy now. I think slacko looks to be a great 'next' puppy, but I still like to have a full system with login users.

So I'm still looking for a distro that will do easy configure as ubuntu can but without the bloat.

I'm am learning alot using arch as it's basically a 'do it yourself' os. I like pacman package manager in arch, it's fast.

I tried the latest ubuntu and kubuntu,, etc.. but my hardware and limited memory/graphics card,, etc, runs slow.

So far, arch may be the one, if I can configure cups.

My wary puppy 5.11 samba server is running perfect and I don't even have to mess with it much anymore. It just works.

I only wish that when I first got into computers many years ago, that I would have learned linux. Windows kept me dumbed down. :roll:

Anyway,, just giving my 2 cents.

Peace