lupu 528 remaster cd does nothing but change my wallpaper

Please post any bugs you have found
otropogo

lupu 528 remaster cd does nothing but change my wallpaper

#1 Post by otropogo »

Have just remastered my first cd as an experiment. I wanted to include all of the apps I've recently installed in lupu 528 on the CD,

There was a message at the start that said:
cannot stat exclude... because no such file or directory , ignoring cannot state exclude dir/file/lupu-528.sfs because no such file or directory, ignoringParallel sksquashfs: Using 2 processors (gee, I didn't know I HAD two!) Creating 4.0 filename
After that, it seemed to run without complaining, asking me only if I wanted to create a numbered file "5281108.173" for drivers. And I clicked on "yes" since there was no explanation. That file ended up being a mere 16KB on the directory of the 2fs file with which I booted.

When everything was burned, it amounted to 316MB of disk space, which surprised me, since I had only installed Gimp, UFRAW, RAWstudio, Firefox 6, Seamonkey 2.33, and xfprot/fprot.

Heeding the warning at the end of the burn, I booted without using any 2fs file (I chose the 0 option), and was surprised that lupu booted up with a different wallpaper than I had used.

However, none of the above-mentioned applications loaded. Neither Gimp, nor Firefox, nor xfprot appeared in the Start menu. The only thing that was the same was my arrangement of the desktop icons. What the dickens used up the additional 200MB burned to disk, and what use was this whole operation?
Last edited by otropogo on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
When remastering, during the process the GUI will ask you if you want to look @ /tmp/root
Later it will ask the same about /tmp/etc
In both cases, if you delete the /tmp/* (IE /tmp/root) and replace it with a copy of your current /root and /etc you should get an exact clone, right down to passwords..
As for the size... Did you download the xfprot/fprot updates, and did you use Firefox @ all??
When remastering, if you have used the system at all, any configurations, caches, etc may have gotten in to your remaster..
Generally, to remaster, boot "pfix=ram" and install all changes, then remaster using the above steps.. Not using the system before remastering avoids the above including any configurations/caches....
Also, after copying, but before clicking "ok" in the remaster script, /tmp/root (eventually /root in your pup) is open for any edits, such as scripts in /root /Startup, etc...

For the slightly higher effort involved, learning to use "woof" is well worth it for creating personalized pups....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Lookinglass360

lupu 528 remaster cd dose nothing but change my wallpaper

#3 Post by Lookinglass360 »

Hi otropogo

Something like that happened to me once, still don't know why?

Running "fixmenus" in console brought every thing to the top though.

Just curious if it will do anything for you!

Happy Trails!

otropogo

Re: lupu 528 remaster cd dose nothing but change my wallpaper

#4 Post by otropogo »

Lookinglass360 wrote:Hi otropogo

Something like that happened to me once, still don't know why?

Running "fixmenus" in console brought every thing to the top though.

Just curious if it will do anything for you!

Happy Trails!
Thanks for the heads up. But I've already passed the "remastered" CD on, so I can't try your fix. I actually meant to keep it, and just give him a stock lupu-528 liveCD, such as I'm using right now, but when I did a "copy data disk" with pburn , the "copy" booted as puppy 4.3.1! And no, I didn't grab a 4.3.1 disk by mistake, the only one I have is in my wife's PC. I always used an Ultilex disk for booting 4.3.1.

Can you figure that out?

I'd consider trying Puppyluvr's instructions, if I could understand them. But if learning "Woof" takes even "a little more effort", I think I'll pass. I hate burning coasters...

A fundamental problem with Puppy has always been, and remains, faulty documentation.

Take the menu entries for the Puppy Universal Installer, for instance. Three years after a couple of us spent a whole summer minutely documenting that it was impossible (and always had been) to properly install Puppy to a zip or an LS120 drive, the entry is still there, just inviting someone to waste their time trying.

It disinclines me to experiment.

rjbrewer

Re: lupu 528 remaster cd dose nothing but change my wallpape

#5 Post by rjbrewer »

otropogo wrote:
Take the menu entries for the Puppy Universal Installer, for instance. Three years after a couple of us spent a whole summer minutely documenting that it was impossible (and always had been) to properly install Puppy to a zip or an LS120 drive, the entry is still there, just inviting someone to waste their time trying.
It disinclines me to experiment.
Strange;

I have a couple Zip 100 discs with Puppy 412 installed.
They boot just fine.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

otropogo

#6 Post by otropogo »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
When remastering, during the process the GUI will ask you if you want to look @ /tmp/root
Later it will ask the same about /tmp/etc
In both cases, if you delete the /tmp/* (IE /tmp/root) and replace it with a copy of your current /root and /etc you should get an exact clone, right down to passwords..
I saw an invitation to look there to see if there was anything I want to change. But as I recall, it was a suggestion for experienced users of the command line. I assumed that the remastered CD would include everything in the 2fs file with which I booted, and so I created a 2fs file for the occasion, which I then stripped of passwords and bookmarks I didn't think my friend would be interested in.
As for the size... Did you download the xfprot/fprot updates, and did you use Firefox @ all??
When remastering, if you have used the system at all, any configurations, caches, etc may have gotten in to your remaster..
Your point about the fprot signature file is a good one. I didn't think of that. I guess if could be 100MB of so. I don't keep any caches in Seamonkey, and I'd barely used Firefox. so they and GIMP would only add a few tens of Megabytes.
Generally, to remaster, boot "pfix=ram" and install all changes, then remaster using the above steps.. Not using the system before remastering avoids the above including any configurations/caches....
That's certainly not clear from the instructions, and it seems a waste of time, especially if you want to preconfigure the apps for the user. For the bookmarks, I looked for a way of blanking Seamonkey's bookmark list, but couldn't find any way to do it. So in that case, I might have saved some time by uninstalling, reinstalling, re-updating, and reconfiguring the browser.

While I appreciate your interest, you failed to explain or offer any solution to the basic problem that prompted my post - that the "remastered" CD failed to load any of the applications or system configurations previously contained in the 2fs file, which is, after all, the whole purpose of "remastering".

puppyluvr

#7 Post by puppyluvr »

While I appreciate your interest, you failed to explain or offer any solution to the basic problem that prompted my post - that the "remastered" CD failed to load any of the applications or system configurations previously contained in the 2fs file, which is, after all, the whole purpose of "remastering".
Actually, I offered the easiest solution to the problem.. By copying /root in place of /tmp/root (No CLI required) all configurations, IE menus for jwm and openbox for user installed programs are retained.. As the installer explains, otherwise they are "pristine", ie un-altered, from the original sfs...
The same for /etc, as it contains setup configs for hardware, should the remaster be for your machine specifically...
Just trying to help..

Also, I have Puppy 4.0 on zip disk, installed via the UI, and it boots fine...
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

majorfoo

#8 Post by majorfoo »

otropogo wrote:
There is a very detailed How To: remaster located at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71349

Hope this will help you in your remastering process.

As far as burning toasters is concerned, I use CD/RW discs on all my puppy applications. Burn Cd - if I don't like it or want a different version, blank it and burn again.

regards

majorfoo

otropogo

#9 Post by otropogo »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
Actually, I offered the easiest solution to the problem.. By copying /root in place of /tmp/root (No CLI required) all configurations, IE menus for jwm and openbox for user installed programs are retained.. As the installer explains, otherwise they are "pristine", ie un-altered, from the original sfs...
The same for /etc, as it contains setup configs for hardware, should the remaster be for your machine specifically...
Just trying to help..
So what is the purpose of the remastering routine that I went through, following the instructions given on screen?
Also, I have Puppy 4.0 on zip disk, installed via the UI, and it boots fine...
What kind of zip drive and zip media did you use to create this disk? There are internal IDE and SCSI ZIP drives, as well as parallel port SCSIs.
op
How long does it take to boot Puppy from your ZIP disk? And does it load Puppy into RAM?

After many hours of repeated failures, I once succeed into installing Puppy (2.13 retro IIRC) onto an LS120 disk.

However, it took forever to boot, the disk could not be formatted in puppy (a painful shortcoming, since after each of the dozens of failed installations, I would have to reformat the disk under Windows), and indeed, the disk could only be viewed with MUT. Pmount would lock up the system with an LS120 disk present.

And most importantly, when booted from the LS120, Puppy 2.13 Retro would not load into RAM, although enough RAM was available. That alone made the whole effort futile, as the need to constantly read from the LS120 drive made the system go at a snail's pace.

We never even got that far with any ZIP disk, so I find your claim quite interesting, and would like to try to replicate your success.

puppyluvr

#10 Post by puppyluvr »

So what is the purpose of the remastering routine that I went through, following the instructions given on screen?
Good question, IDK the answer as to why the automated setup doesnt mention this, but having learned the hard way, thought I`d pass it along...

The zip drive is an iomega..
But, with further investigation, I discovered the machine in question has a bios setup with a boot from zip drive selection, which may make a big difference, IDK, but I will dig it out again asap and see... IIRC, it will boot on other machines if I install in "superfloopy" mode..

As I said, just trying to help...

And I started using "woof" because it was easier than remastering... :wink:
These are good reasons why...
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

otropogo

#11 Post by otropogo »

puppyluvr wrote: The zip drive is an iomega..
But, with further investigation, I discovered the machine in question has a bios setup with a boot from zip drive selection, which may make a big difference, IDK, but I will dig it out again asap and see... IIRC, it will boot on other machines if I install in "superfloopy" mode..
I didn't know there were any other brands of zip drives . They they built various larger capacities later on. But when the Universal Installer was created, there was only one size, the 100MB zip drive and disk. Bioses that supported them and the LS120 also allowed you to boot from them, just like a floppy.

But the puppy menus and documentation also claimed you could install Puppy to boot from a parallel port drive or a scsi drive. Our investigation, trying every version of Puppy from 1.1 on showed that this was all pure pie in the sky. I can't give you the details because all of my posts were reattributed to "guest" when I was banned from the forums.

Not trying to give you a hard time. It still burns me up though to see a lot of hard work just going down the toilet for no good reason.