Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 12:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Racy Puppy 5.2.2 Final, 18 Nov. 2011
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 33 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 31, 32, 33 Next
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 04:10    Post_subject: Re: pppd  

rodin.s wrote:
I couldn't get online with Racy:
Code:
# pppd call 1xevdo
pppd: error while loading shared libraries: libpcap.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Oh! Yes, somehow I left out a package. Install this:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-wary5/libpcap-1.1.1-w5c.pet

Please let me know if that fixes it!

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 04:29    Post_subject:  

tronkel wrote:
Racy Wary automatically detects the internet (eth0 interface) and the Radeon (radeon) video driver.

If I try to exit to a prompt, the computer freezes up completely and have to do a hard reset. I then can't get a chance to create a pup_save file, because the same thing happens on trying to reboot.

The xorg.conf file confirms that the radeon driver is in use, but there is also a second 'Device' section where the vesa driver is listed. That seems a bit strange.

I'll have a go with the due-to-arrive Wary with the earlier kernel and the earlier Xorg version. I suspect that video would be OK with this. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the hard work. It's running very fast on this hardware.

tronkel,
There might be a fix for the lockup. With Slacko they found for radeon that they had to change this file:

/etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf content:

options radeon modeset=1

Change to this:

options radeon modeset=0

Then you will need to reboot. The kernel will load the radeon kernel module without KMS.

I am very interested to know if that fixes it for you, will then make that change permanent.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 04:34    Post_subject:  

tronkel wrote:
Running Wary 5.1.99 now

As I thought, the X problem causing the machine to freeze now doesn't happen on shutdown. The xorg.conf now has the radeon driver correctly listed in the Device section and no second Device section showing the vesa driver.

So this then seems like an problem with the 7.6 version in Racy.

Will explore further

Ah, I posted a response to tronkel before reading your later posts. Yes, they found that out in Slacko, that KMS has to be off for Radeon. Ok, I will set that as the default.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 04:44    Post_subject: Re: AMD Fusion E350 emachines d443  

raffy wrote:
Boots directly to X with profile #PuppyHardwareProfile=AMD_ATOMBIOSAUO
(this has been identified in Fatdog64-520 and Slacko discussions as a Vesa driver profile)

Resolution 1366x768 is working, but CTRL-ALT-BKSP or "Exit to Prompt" does not work (just gets blank screen).

Now about the mysterious crash in this machine, soon after successful boot to X (observed in other new Puppies): it looks like a network probing crash, as Racy works until the network wizard starts its probe (The other new Puppies automatically launch network detection after booting to X.) I have observed this consistent crash only in this laptop and only when using the new Xorg (ie, newer than Wary's Xorg).

ISpup (based on Quirky 120) as well as Wary do not crash in this machine, but they have no usable wifi drivers (ISpup based on Quirky 120 used Broadcom driver compiled by pemasu).

Raffy,
Can you open up /var/log/Xorg.0.log and confirm which driver is actually used. You might find in that file that it loads vesa_drv.so, but that does not mean that is what it actually uses -- you would need to read through the whole file.

tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 04:58    Post_subject:  

Re radeon driver. I tried jduffy22335's suggestion and used the kernel cheat code"puppy radeon.modeset=0" - which worked. This will be similar to your suggestion about modifying the radeon.conf file (which I will also try - thanks for the suggestion - that will persist the setting over a reboot, something that is not possible unless the Live CD is remastered with the extlinux configuration altered to include the cheat code).

Things are still not good yet though. Frame rates in YouTube videos are very slow at full screen - even at lower resolutions.

If I remember correctly in-built kernel support for ATI drivers was first introduced in k-2.6.33. I had similar problems to this when using Fedora at that time. Maybe a kernel compile is needed that removes the built-in support for radeon and uses a loadable module instead. Not sure if that would make a difference - might be worth a try. Or what about a re-compile of the radeon open-source driver itself for the kernel that Racy uses?

mave

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 05:16    Post_subject: failure in puppyinstaller  

Hi Barry,

while reporting trouble of un/mounted drives in puppyinstaller I didn't looked closer, sorry. That's not the problem, but puppyinstaller script breaks in Racy when going "CONTINUE" on my test machines:

Code:
# ./puppyinstaller

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 1, near token '(null)': syntax error

aborting...
./puppyinstaller: line 589: [: too many arguments

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 1, near token '(null)': syntax error

aborting...
#

Some changes....?

mave
tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 05:26    Post_subject:  

Re radeon driver.

OK, options radeon modeset=0 in /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf works OK.

Just need to make sure that the setting gets persisted over a reboot by make sure that the computer is powered down in an orderly fashion by using the "poweroff" menu item in JWM menu shutdown. It the machine freezes by using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, then this setting will get lost.

Slow framerate is still there though as is to be expected with no kernel modesetting.

This problem also turned up in an Ubuntu Maverick Beta version I think it was. A subsequent PAE kernel update seemed to fix it at that time.

Wary 5.1.99 doesn't have this problem at all. Seamonkey seems fine in both versions. Haven't experienced the Bootmanager lock-up in Racy.

raffy

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 06:25    Post_subject: Xorg log file  

Have added "radeon.modeset=0" at kernel line, and am able to connect now via ethernet, no more crash.

[Additional: I can't select text in textbox with the shift key nor with the touchpad. Creating directory in Rox gives un-highlighted "New dir" for the name. And save file can't be created because shutdown just blanks the screen.]

The Xorg log file (after radeon.modeset=0) is attached.
nomodeset-Xorg.0.log.gz
Description  Xorg log file from /var/log in AMD Fusion E350 Radeon HD 6310 emachines D443 laptop.
gz

Download 
Filename  nomodeset-Xorg.0.log.gz 
Filesize  9.11 KB 
Downloaded  396 Time(s) 

tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 09:49    Post_subject:  

raffy wrote:
Quote:
save file can't be created because shutdown just blanks the screen.

If you tried to reboot to make a save file just after you set options modeset=0 from within Racy, your radeon.conf file will not be saved because of the system crash.

Try again to reset modeset=0 and then do a full shutdown via the JWM menu. This should preserve the radeon.conf changes. You can also boot your computer by adding:

puppy radeon.modeset=0 to the boot line when puppy boots. This will allow you to create the pup_save. Then make the required changes to radeon.conf and then close down normally. that should preserve the change to the radeon.conf so you can subsequently boot and close down as normal

rodin.s

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:41    Post_subject: pppd works now  

After installing libpcap-1.1.1-w5c.pet pppd works and I am online with Racy.
raffy

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 18:05    Post_subject: blank screen at save time  

tronkel wrote:
raffy wrote:
Quote:
save file can't be created because shutdown just blanks the screen.

If you tried to reboot to make a save file just after you set options modeset=0 from within Racy, your radeon.conf file will not be saved because of the system crash.

Oh, sorry, my previous statement was wrong - I guess that if the screen blanks at first shutdown, I could blindly press ENTER repeatedly to do a full shutdown and save file. I have done that in Fatdog64-520.

And FYI, I am using "radeon.modeset=0" in syslinux.cfg.

scsijon

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 20:34    Post_subject: Wary 5.1.99 problems also Racy  

Ext2? partitions

Everything was going well including the probe for intel setup (hooray and well done to fix this problem at last); until I tried to install wary 5.1.99 with PUI.

It said it did a partition sanity check before continuing and gave an error "cannot be unmounted,currently mounted rerad-write, does not have warysave.3fs file"; however at this point I haven't even chosen which partition I want to install it into.

I'm using a box with a sata drive and want to install into /sda2 a ext2 partition (as are all my puppy partitions as they share). Not sure where to go from here except hand the problem back to you.

lspci is:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 01)

Edit: Downloaded and tried the same with racy today, same result.

However, found that if I used an existing savefile that it could use, I got further before it died, Still wouldn't install though.

Edit 2: same result on another box that wary510 works ok on, beginning to wonder why....

regards
scsijon

Edited_time_total
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 22:47    Post_subject:  

Manual frugal installation on an ext3 partition. Everything works fine with one exception. Cups printer wizard will not recognize my HP 5280 Photosmart All-in-one Printer/Scanner. I've installed hpijs_print-3.11.3.pet and hplip_scan-3.11.3.pet which has worked great with lucid and previous Wary.

I had the same problem with the latest Slacko which 01micko corrected with his libusb-0.1.12-w5.pet.. 01micko was curious if I was having the same problem with Racy so I installed his pet in Racy. This enabled Cups to install my printer and it appeared to be installed properly and set as default but it will not print. Then I installed the libusb-compat but the HP 5280 will still not print.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011, 23:02    Post_subject:  

Multisession DVD working fine, as always. Very Happy
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2011, 01:58    Post_subject: Reporting Tools  

Thanks @BarryK this is great.
I don't know if anyone has asked this question, but, I wonder if you would feel it appropriate to ask "which of the various tool(s) you would like us to use in reporting RACY information to you?"

In my past, I have been reporting with a combination of "Report-Video-GLX" and "hardinfo - r" from the terminal window. this has seemed to be a correct combination to provide distro owners an eyeful for their product's behavior. But, I'm not sure if this is adequate for what you would like to see..

This may be the wrong place to ask the question. If it is, please feel free to move.

Hope this helps.
Edited: . RACY has booted on a 2GB-1.8Ghz Athon, a 2.8Ghz Celeron, and a 4GB X2 without issues on bootup and/or save-session.. I look forward to your 5.1.99 beta which will include the oversight(s).

Wary did show signs of jerky behavior when running online multimedia.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 33 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 31, 32, 33 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum