Xeznet can crash entire GUI back to a command prompt!

Please post any bugs you have found
Glitchman

Xeznet can crash entire GUI back to a command prompt!

#1 Post by Glitchman »

It took me a little while to recreate this bug, but now I can quite easily crash everything back to a command prompt at will from xeznet.

What you need:
An external modem and a correctly configured dial-up connection. (I use chat=no in the Modem Settings. YMMV.)

How to make it all crash:
1. Boot up Puppy
2. Turn on your external modem
3. Open xeznet
4. Turn off the modem
5. Highlight your ISP in xeznet
6. Click the Up button (note that your modem is still physically off)
7. Click the Down button once or twice
8. Stare at the nice black and white text interface :twisted:

Fortunately you can get back in by typing xwin, and all is well. :D

So how did I come across this, you ask? Well, I have a habit of turning off my modem when it's not in use. I later came back to my PC and wanted to get back on the net, and naturally clicked the Up button in xeznet, but forgot to turn on the modem first. My instinct was to hit Down first, before powering the modem back on. I was quite surprised to see the crash (and losing all the browser windows I had previously opened.) :shock:

Anyway, despite this nasty bug, I actually like xeznet, mainly because I never had any success connecting to the Internet with gkdial. So please don't remove xeznet just because of one tiny little bug. :wink:

Glitchman

Update on this nasty bug

#2 Post by Glitchman »

It appears that this bug is even easier to recreate, unfortunately. Simply clicking the Down button in xeznet while you are in the process of dialing up is often sufficient enough to crash everything.

So why would anyone do this? Well, around here, I tend to get excessive line noise when there's even the slightest chance of a storm coming. I instinctively disconnect during the dialup process if it doesn't sound right, because I would otherwise get stuck with a lousy 28.8k connection or worse. Disconnecting and dialing up again helps ensure my "speedy" 53,333 bps. Evidently, Puppy can't take this "abuse" too well. Storms suck. :-(

qaZi

xeznet crash, too

#3 Post by qaZi »

Yes - I had the same problem of xeznet crashing PL when hitting the