Which Browser is Best for Puppy

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else

Which browser is best for Puppy and why?

Dillo?
4%
Seamonkey?
25%
FireFox?
33%
Flock?
No votes
Opera?
28%
Swiftfox?
4%
Konqueror?
1%
Command Line Browser?
1%
hv3?
1%
Something else?
3%

Total votes: 156

russ

#81 Post by russ »

Any browser that allows upgrading would be nice. It is hard for me to install
Java upgrades that work. I have yet to be able to get into this site with one of the browsers that come with puppy, but every windows browser works "out of the box". The site should be easily accessed with the web cams working:

http://www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?comman ... tType=http

Sage

#82 Post by Sage »

This survey is important for P development and should already have been placed in some permanent holding category, even if not a 'sticky', as such.

stevoomba

#83 Post by stevoomba »

I've just started using Swiftfox 2.0.0.6. It hasn't crashed once in several hours use, whereas Firefox was only lasting a minute or two. It now comes as a simple tarball you extract to /usr/share and it found all my settings and extensions etc and they all work. Flash9 doesn't seem to cause probs.

So my vote is for Swiftfox, but it comes in different downloads for your own processor so I don't know if it can be rebuilt for general use in the live Puppy distro.

I agree with what others have said about the non-bloated browsers being fast small and stable, but I do go to pages that need java and flash etc plus I share the computer with other family members who need a bloated browser.

Regarding Opera I just find the interface too different from Firefox and it doesn't seem to have a horizontal bookmarks toolbar, which I'm so used to I don't like anything else. Can you set the bookmarks to be in a horizontal bar? I might try it if you can do that...

Steve

stevoomba

#84 Post by stevoomba »

russ wrote:I have yet to be able to get into this site with one of the browsers that come with puppy, but every windows browser works "out of the box". The site should be easily accessed with the web cams working:

http://www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?comman ... tType=http
I just ran that webcam page no probs in Swiftfox after accepting the applet.

Steve

KF6SNJ

#85 Post by KF6SNJ »

Personally, I like Opera. I only use SeaMonkey for those things related to Puppy. I don't like how Firefox works on Puppy and I feel that Dillo, HV3 and GPE leave much to be desired. I do like how links works. I do think it is perfect for a console version of puppy, such as onebone (which I am evaluating as a potential base for derivative of my own). Personally, I think which web browser is best is really a matter of personal taste and style. For me, it would be Opera. My wife likes Firefox. Then again, Linux is about choice, and puppy even more so.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

starlyte

The choice is GIGANTESQUE

#86 Post by starlyte »

Up to my Puppy days - after Mandrake/riva, qui crashed too often among others equally ugh - I was fox , now being a confirmed Puppy addict find Seamonkey the most practical.
Firefox has, however, certain extensions very useful missing from Seamonkey, but I find it taps too much memory.
Seamonkey's got a built in mail/news reader, which I really like (my Net provider thinks Linux is something made on Betelgeuse :roll: ), & it's easy to configure.
I really liked Opera before the update, or is it a Pup version I d/ld, with an interface insipid. You don't find yourself with loads of bookmarks the same, which is my case with Seamonkey.
I might give it another try later. :?
Dillo, as Lobster pointed out, is great for help etc, & when my mem is too low for the "singe des mers" (sorry, I live in France, although I love it & I'm not really sorry at all).

:?: I use the 2, sometimes together. :D

I'm going to give h3v a try :wink: -altho the name sounds like some new sort of AIDS.

How about a bit of talk about AIDS :- problems + prevention. People think it can be cured now, false, and the younger Puupians could learn a bit maybe... :idea:

Eyes-Only

#87 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Stevoomba,

You wanted to know whether or not you could make a "personal bookmarks bar" in Opera like you can in SeaMonkey/Firefox? I use Opera from time-to-time (SeaMonkey IS my preference however) and it's rather easy to make---though not readily apparent.

Open Opera and go to "Tools>Appearance" on the menubar. A box will open up. Click on the tab that says "Toolbars". In the lefthand column check "Personal bar" and save the setting by pressing the "ok" button.

Next, go to "Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks" on the menubar of Opera and your bookmarks "should" open up in an extra tab window. Now you can right-click on any bookmark or folder and select from the popup menu "Add to personal bar". I can't recall whether they go there immediately, or once the bookmark manager is closed.

If you'd like to import your SeaMonkey bookmarks you may do so by going to "File>Import-Export" and clicking on "Import Netscape/Firefox..." and a search window opens which allows you to hunt around for your bookmarks.html file. NOTE: You may have to select "Show hidden files" so that you can find the ".mozilla" directory in your "/root" directory. Any bookmarks added will be placed into a folder under "Imported Netscape bookmarks". I believe that's how it goes. I edit mine afterwards making them part of Opera's. ;)

I hope this helped?

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Sage

#88 Post by Sage »

Presently, 61% of over 100 Puppy users prefer another browser to the default. My guess is that begins to constitute a representative sample?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#89 Post by Lobster »

:) when I first used Puppy - Dillo was the default. It sure was quick. At the moment I have Firefox and Seamonkey (Linux Tmxxine Prism) and for some reason prefer Seamonkey. Probably because Flash 9 support in Firefox does not seem as stable as with Seamonkey.

What seems to have happened with Puppy 3.00 (two beta versions at the moment) is Unleashed Puplets (Puppy derivatives) can be created without SeaMonkey.

What is also interesting is Seamonkey has become more popular - it was Firefox that was the universal preference (still is) in previous polls.

The internal browser (can be used for web browsing) is also excellent. I hear that the latest Internet Browser on Windows is good - about time. For years I used Opera on Windows because Internet Explorer was, how can I say this kindly - a little suspect - [ahem].

. . . somewhere there is a new browser waiting to emerge, perhaps Flock, maybe FireGoogle or something new . . .

Penguins have choice + geek fun

. . . now back to the 'my browser owns your browser' debates . . . :D
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 20 Sep 2007, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

SirDuncan

#90 Post by SirDuncan »

All of these browsers are just big pieces of bloatware. We all know that text based browsing is the way to go! Let's here it for Links/Lynx/eLinks! :D
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

Sage

#91 Post by Sage »

Spare us some more gems from your CLI experiences.

HairyWill

#92 Post by HairyWill »

Web browser!
http is only a one file transfer protocol, personally I find that using wget works great

Code: Select all

wget -qO - http://puppylinux.com/index.html
Mind you Barry's html has a lot of white space so it is helpful to pipe it through sed to strip out the blank lines. :lol:
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

cb88

#93 Post by cb88 »

nice to see opera beating seamonkey :)
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

KF6SNJ

#94 Post by KF6SNJ »

pupshock wrote:I like Opera, but i can't believe that Internet Explorer is not
up there. It's the most compatible with all the websites : )
While an sfs could accomplish that, I am not too thrilled with IE, not to mention that it is NOT directly compatible with Linux. Also, IE barely works on the websites I visit or maintain (it can be a headache to script in code to make a website viewable in IE with CSS). The only reason I can think of for IE not being listed is because it is not directly compatible with Linux and hence could never be installed without use of an emulator. Besides, last I knew, IE7 couldn't pass the Acid2 Test (at least IE7 on my wife's XP laptop couldn't).

un-named-one

#95 Post by un-named-one »

Hmmm... I'd like to see what kind ov results this survey would get if it were taken now. Seeing as it is four(4) years later.
Besides, a new browser has joined the scene: Chromium/Google Chrome.

gungsukma

#96 Post by gungsukma »

Dillo, Puppy current default web browser, has a nice display, but it can't run javascript, the client side scripting required by many sites. So I can't use Dillo for my daily browsing.

Midori can run javascript, and still light and fast. Although I may won't use Midori for something related to security thing like online-banking*, I can use it for my daily browsing.

So I think I'll vote for MIDORI, but it's not in the list ^_^'

---
*for 2 reasons: (1) I don't know about its security, using Big Browser like Chrome or Firefox is wise (2) I don't know how to do online-banking
**English is not my native language

darkcity

#97 Post by darkcity »

eye use da chrome

Colonel Panic

#98 Post by Colonel Panic »

I don't have an answer to this question as I like to have at least two browsers on my machine at any one time. Usually I have one of the Mozilla browsers (Firefox or Seamonkey) on, and Opera as well, because I think Opera handles downloads better.

I'm impressed by the private tab feature Opera has, where you can choose not to leave any trace of your activities when opening a new tab.

http://help.opera.com/Linux/12.10/en/tabs.html#private

These days I'm tempted to install a lighter, non-Flash or Java browser such as Dillo too because a lot of web pages now take a long time to load otherwise.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#99 Post by Colonel Panic »

gabriel_007 wrote:How about epiphany? Imho it's even more efficient than Firefox - I use it on my Debian machine. Noone ever considered Epiphany?

Come to think of it - anything with the option to turn off flash (although it is sometimes necessary) would be great, as it is slaughtering my old pc, making web browsing a nasty experience.
I've tried epiphany several times, and unfortunately it keeps crashing. I don't think it's very stable (on my machine at any rate). I agree with your last line though - even with broadband, page loading can get slow especially in the evenings when a lot of people are trying to get online at once.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

linuxbear

#100 Post by linuxbear »

I don't think there is a best browser. I use Opera for streaming video, because it seems to be more stable with less hickups. Chrome gets used for everything else