I want to request a bookmark app for PDF reader.

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.

Would this be popular?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 4

Whusmaname

I want to request a bookmark app for PDF reader.

#1 Post by Whusmaname »

What programming language would work best to open Xpdf on the page I last read in the PDF I open through the bookmark icon on my desktop?

I don't have the icon yet either and I want to either fill in a textbox to say what page I'm on and click the ok button to save, or have it save automatically... is it possible?
Of course I will lead the Horde... as long as I get to do it from upwind... 'cos they frickin' REEK!!!

Rogue rules:
[list=1][*]Pillage, [u]THEN[/u] burn.
[*]If it ain't bolted down, then it's [b]fair game[/b].[/list]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Most pdf readers have a box that shows the page you are on. You can also enter a page number in that window and go straight to that page. Just out of curiosity, would your bookmark app remember the number that was in that window when you last closed the pdf file?

Whusmaname

#3 Post by Whusmaname »

I'm assuming so... but I don't know any programming languages, so I don't know which one would be able to grab that info.

What I want to do is make an icon that you only need to click on once, which brings up an instance of the pdf-reader with the book you were reading open at the page you closed it at.

Obviously the first time you click it, it'll give you the option to enter the data regarding the book you're currently reading in PDF, and it'll then subsequently open that book at the place you closed it the next time you click on the icon, or you can choose a pdf to read via the load function in this interface via a list that automatically gets filled.
In other words, it shows you in the list which books you've read in PDF format, in whatever order you set it to (IE: in the order you opened them in, or in alphabetical order, etc...)
Of course I will lead the Horde... as long as I get to do it from upwind... 'cos they frickin' REEK!!!

Rogue rules:

aarf

#4 Post by aarf »

Sounds good. Also ask for this modification at the website of the PDF reader of your choice.

Whusmaname

#5 Post by Whusmaname »

Ooh... good idea, aarf. Which is your favorite PDF reader? I'm okay with the one that came on the LiveCD ISO I downloaded, but I would have liked the option of changing the text- and background-colours, like I can do with Adobe Reader. Is there a version of Adobe (something similar) for Linux?

Edit: Nevermind... I found it here.

Rogue rules:

aarf

#6 Post by aarf »

Whusmaname wrote:Ooh... good idea, aarf. Which is your favorite PDF reader? I'm okay with the one that came on the LiveCD ISO I downloaded, but I would have liked the option of changing the text- and background-colours, like I can do with Adobe Reader. Is there a version of Adobe (something similar) for Linux?

Edit: Nevermind... I found it here.
foxit reader was my preference over adobe when we had that, mainly for speed and smaller size. but now i just use whatever is in the puppy i am using without paying too much attention to its name. haven't tried it but there should be some adobe pets or sfs around if you cant get the adobe site download to work. also should be foxit reader pets at least from long ago.

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

I'm actually sure I've seen a pdf reader with the feature you want... I can't remember which one though, sorry.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:I'm actually sure I've seen a pdf reader with the feature you want... I can't remember which one though, sorry.
Ah. Maybe it was Zathura. It's supposed to support creating bookmarks, anyway (although I'm not sure whether that means keeping its own list of bookmarks somewhere, or modifying the actual pdf to add bookmarks to it).

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

don570

Zathura Bookmarks

#9 Post by don570 »

When I am using Zathura to open a PDF, then quit and reopen
the same PDF file, the same page is shown that I was reading
previously. This is apparently a feature of Zathura.

Whusmaname

#10 Post by Whusmaname »

Will Zathura work on a Compaq Armada 7400 (Pentium II) with 64megs of RAM (60MB (35MB used) according to Summary - System Information)?

Rogue rules:

don570

#11 Post by don570 »

I think it can be installed in any Puppy
(and any computer with 128megs)
64megs is stretching it thin!!!
but I use it in recent Puppies and a 256 megabyte machine
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 77&t=70032

If you're a new Puppy user
I would recommend Barry Kauler's most recent
Wary Puppy 5.1.99
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/test/wary5.1.99/

and then install right-click-5.2.5.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67013
This will automatically install zathura for you
and lots of other goodies.

technosaurus

#12 Post by technosaurus »

even lighter weight than zathura or epdfview is mupdf (only ~10mb ram usage)
you can open mupdf to any page by using
mupdf some.pdf page#

available here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61922

there is no bookmark file or even a gui for mupdf though ... just keyboard shortcuts (see vlc-gtk if you want to adapt a gui wrapper for it)

the next version of mupdf will have support for showing the page #
if anyone wants to patch v0.9, here is the commit:
http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=mupdf.git ... bf4366c862
Last edited by technosaurus on Wed 21 Sep 2011, 22:10, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Whusmaname

#13 Post by Whusmaname »

@don570: I'm pretty happy with the fact that I finally got LuPu 511 installed (Frugal, but that's okay too) on this machine, since I struggled so much to get any flavour of Linux onto it, that I'm gonna stick with what I've got unless it gives me trouble...

Yes, I am a n00b on Linux, which is why this frugal install is so good for me. As for running the latest stuff, I don't even connect to the internet with this laptop, 'cos it just doesn't have the power to keep up.

@technosaurus: So will I be able to run the bookmark icon I'm requesting, to open mupdf and get it to go directly to the page I was on, if I have a GUI that I'll (probably) have to edit on exiting the PDF I'm viewing?

Rogue rules:

technosaurus

#14 Post by technosaurus »

yes, something like this, but with more comments and easier to modify

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
[ ! -d ${HOME}/.bookmarks ] && mkdir ${HOME}/.bookmarks
BKMK=`basename ${1%%.*}.bkmk`
[ -f ${HOME}/.bookmarks/${BKMK} ] && mupdf ${1} `cat ${HOME}/.bookmarks/${BKMK}` || mupdf ${1}
echo `Xdialog --stdout --inputbox "Enter the page # you want to return to:" 0 0` >${HOME}/.bookmarks/${BKMK}
a 458kb tarball of the 0.9.X git version with page number support is here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=46630

it also plugs some memory leaks and now runs in <9mb of ram
to get the page number just use shift+p

the only dependencies are (nothing large like poppler or gtk)
  • libfreetype.so.6
    libjpeg.so.7
    libz.so.1
    libm.so.6
    libX11.so.6
    libXext.so.6
    libc.so.6
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

disciple

#15 Post by disciple »

Whusmaname wrote:Will Zathura work on a Compaq Armada 7400 (Pentium II) with 64megs of RAM (60MB (35MB used) according to Summary - System Information)?
Does epdfview work OK? I don't imagine zathura will be much heavier.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Whusmaname

#16 Post by Whusmaname »

disciple wrote:Does epdfview work OK? I don't imagine zathura will be much heavier.
Yes, epdfview works alright... every now and then my laptop freezes just as I've pressed the down arrow, and it scrolls all the way to the end of the document, but I just kill it via Ctrl+Alt+Esc and reopen it on the page I was on last.

Rogue rules: