How to access Linux partition from WinXP?

Booting, installing, newbie
flamesage

How to access Linux partition from WinXP?

#1 Post by flamesage »

How would I go about doing this? I remember someone posting a program on this forum that allowed me to access my Puppy Parition just like anoyher HD but I lost the link.

flamesage

#3 Post by flamesage »

Nope, that didn't seem to work.
It used to do like this...

(Note: I don't actually have this software yet, I edited the picture around to what it WOULD look like)

I know it exists, since I've done it before, but then I had to do a System Reovery and lost the program.[/list]

MU

#4 Post by MU »

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

That's a devicedriver.
I use it in XP (SP2).
It displays the ext-partitions of my IDE-drive in any filemanger like explorer or IDosWin (read-only).
It does not display the ext-drives on my external USB-harddisk, but maybe I just made a configuration-error. The driveletters are visible, I just cannot acess them.
But that's not really a problemfor me, as I use XP very seldom,and then the IDE-Drive is sufficient.

You also could try the total commander.
It has an additional plugin to access ext-drives,but I did not try that one yet.
Mark

flamesage

#5 Post by flamesage »

The driver will NOT work on the following operating systems:

* Windows 95
* Windows 98
* Windows ME
* DOS
* Windows 3.1*
* Win32s*
* Linux
* OS2
* any other operating system you can think of.

So it won't work with my Puppy Linux..

The Major

Success with Ext2 IFS

#6 Post by The Major »

I've found this to be a very useful piece of software. I have Windows 2000 Professional running on a dual boot PC, and using this software in Windows means that I can access my Linux files from Windows.

Also, more usefully, I've found that I can write to Windows folders, and change Windows files from Linux, running off a second PC in my home network once I had set it up in Windows on my first machine.

Hope this helps one or two people.