Slacko B4

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#101 Post by 01micko »

Stripe, I think first run has to happen for our international users, or perhaps in the splash I could make it an option, however that first splash is not going to be localised, maybe make it as non verbose as possible,, is there a good icon available that represents "internationalisation"??? I can put that on the button. I can ensure it only runs once.

I think Barry has admitted that shutdown problems occur with shutdownconfig, apparently fixed.

Next version will have new jwm and gtk themes, 23oz is gone to ppm. The theme will be rockin' :) (and tiny)

zigbert -great pburn is fixed, if not any trouble can you pm me a diff of the file(s) affected? Or a brief explanation, very curious :). Got it, new pmusic-2.1.3

yep, cupshell will simply be "defaultbrowser http://localhost:631", all the other stuff is deprecated.

Dr Block, PPM issues are with gtkdialog splash, if cursor is centre screen then the dialog disappears before you see it, I'll inform Barry.

As for font rendering, my experience on my 8 test machines [includes 2 olpc xo and an intel mac] is very good, especially on the Intel Brookdale, it renders superb.

I did build the odt plugin for abiword but it doesn't work :( . I believe it's possible to build only the writer component for libreoffice, Any one want to try? I suggest from libreoffice 3.3.4 as there are reported printing issues with 3.4x. This would be a cool replacement in PPM.

rodin.s, thanks for working on lang packs, later today I'll start a thread for this.

--

Shinobar.. is this a specific slacko lang pack for JA?

http://182.164.209.64/puppy/wary/langua ... -1.1-s.sfs

I just noticed the "-s" suffix. Thanks. It's dated 21 August 2011
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#102 Post by playdayz »

Is this supposed to happen? Yes, I just checked and it did it on first boot. Just ignore if this is already settled.
Attachments
supposed_to_happen.png
(89.64 KiB) Downloaded 910 times

01micko

#103 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:Is this supposed to happen? Yes, I just checked and it did it on first boot. Just ignore if this is already settled.
Intentional.. improved for next, based on screen res. :wink: Part of the on going effort to make aarf happy.. oh, and the millions of other users with small screen res! :)

now .. if you really want a mac gtk theme don't get this! Get "Fishing in the sky" from the "common" repo..
Attachments
gtk_theme_rockstar-0.1.pet
(15.13 KiB) Downloaded 258 times

cowboy

all well

#104 Post by cowboy »

01micko,

Followed your advice to Charlie6 again on a new bootup. Probed, then choose exit to get to prompt, ran xorgwizard, entered "BROOKDALE", and then xwin FTW! So far stable, below is report-video output. Fingers crossed, thanks to you, MHHP, Charlie6, JonT, many others for the efforts you've put into this forlorn chipset.

Installed Frisbee, you've got the old gal running great.

Just me, or does typing "BROOKDALE" in all caps make you think of Spiny Norman peeking over the horizon and muttering "DINSDALE"....Bet the Piranha bros. could teach these Intel Brookdale types a thing or two...might nail somebody's head to the floor....be a real shame.

VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 4.99.6

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "1024x768" Depth: Depth 24
Attachments
spiny-norman-demotivational-poster-1210023291.gif.jpeg
(25.89 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

shinobar

lang_pack

#105 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote: Shinobar.. is this a specific slacko lang pack for JA?

http://182.164.209.64/puppy/wary/langua ... -1.1-s.sfs

I just noticed the "-s" suffix. Thanks. It's dated 21 August 2011
Yes but it is outdated.
most recent version is lang_pack_ja-1.3.sfs for all puppies.
for all languages is lang_pack_all-0.9.sfs.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/pup4/opt/
And other lang_pack pets with suffix '-w' may work for all puppies.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?pu ... languages/

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51702
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

01micko

#106 Post by 01micko »

Thanks shinobar :)

sszindian.. I have bad news.. :(

My SiS machine uses the vesa driver, I compiled as many versions as I could find of the SiS xorg driver and not one would work. It is pretty much unsupported since 2010/10 .. not good, as xorg was updated since then. It compiles just fine but what good is that when it doesn't work? I think Sage has some SiS gear.. Sage? Work for you?

The only thing I can suggest is to try to change screen res in the first-run wizard or the graphical Xorgwizard from the setup icon. Sorry I couldn't be the bearer of some magical SiS fix, similar to Brookdale. There is precious little info around the web on SiS older chips and newer Xorg, except it fails! There was one patched driver I found for Xorg-7.5 but it failed in Xorg-7.6. :? :(

I will keep trying though.. it's unacceptable! I'll see if I can raise a ticket with someone in Slackware, they are geeky enough to try and fix these things, but I'll have to install Slackware-13.37 on my SiS box for them to take me seriously :lol: .

Cheers

mikeslr

Initial Report of Beta4 with AtiRadeon 3100 Graphics

#107 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 01micko & All;

All seems well. Unpacked SlackoB4.iso to Slacko directory and rebooted.
First Run dialogue routine seemed to run a little slow. I thought it had completed and started Frisbee before it did. This created problems as completion of First Run shut down Frisbee before it could complete and thereafter it gave problems setting up, but was ultimately successful. Went on internet with Seamonkey and sound proved to work OK with Youtube Flash. For some reason only the occasional Puppy gives me barks when starting and Slacko doesn't.
Internet having proven OK, I shut down creating SaveFile, rebooting into SlackoB4. Whatever slowness initially appeared was gone and SlackoB4 now appears to be as fast as Exprimo.
Nice job 01micko. I'll explore some more tomorrow.

mikesLr

01micko

Re: Initial Report of Beta4 with AtiRadeon 3100 Graphics

#108 Post by 01micko »

mikeslr wrote:Hi 01micko & All;

All seems well. Unpacked SlackoB4.iso to Slacko directory and rebooted.
First Run dialogue routine seemed to run a little slow. I thought it had completed and started Frisbee before it did. This created problems as completion of First Run shut down Frisbee before it could complete and thereafter it gave problems setting up, but was ultimately successful. Went on internet with Seamonkey and sound proved to work OK with Youtube Flash. For some reason only the occasional Puppy gives me barks when starting and Slacko doesn't.
Internet having proven OK, I shut down creating SaveFile, rebooting into SlackoB4. Whatever slowness initially appeared was gone and SlackoB4 now appears to be as fast as Exprimo.
Nice job 01micko. I'll explore some more tomorrow.

mikesLr
Yes there are a few logic flaws in the way I implemented the firtboot>firstrun>conectwiz.. but I am onto it :wink: .. I think it will cater to all as much as possible...

Here's the new logic..

First splash.. tells if you are connected or not, if so, no connectwiz..

Asks about locale .. if you don't care skip.. if you don't understand there is a big graphical i18n icon with flags on it to invoke shino's first-run locale/TZ/keys setup.. if you still don't understand it times out . .. starting shino's first-run wiz..

after X restart then connectwiz pops up.. we'll see!

:lol:

DaveS

#109 Post by DaveS »

The problem with building Open Office with just Writer is this: Open Office seems to be constructed like a browser with each of the modules being extensions, so very little size is saved, but masses of functionality is lost.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#110 Post by James C »

Another manual frugal install..... this one on the old P3 test box.Everything working on initial boot and persistent through a couple of reboots. No shutdown problems.

VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 4.99.6

Chip description:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "" Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 254MB (120MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 25 Sep 2011 12:00:11 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH

Looks pretty good on this old box too.

Sage

#111 Post by Sage »

I think Sage has some SiS gear.. Sage?
Sadly my considerable skills lie well outside anything to do with SW. If you want to destroy the world, I may be able to assist. Otherwise, I limit my activities to HW and SW-reportage.Every other distro had until now behaved properly with my three SiS Mirage I-containing boards. This should worry you, mick! These are all ECS boards, and despite what you might read in dispatches, are the most advanced and reliable I've ever encountered. I know this as I have a steady stream of other makes arriving for 'spares'. Sometimes MSI produces a few good models, too, not necessarily under their own moniker and not necessarily all the time!
Sage? Work for you?
Actually - yes!
Last edited by Sage on Sun 25 Sep 2011, 07:14, edited 2 times in total.

jpeps

#112 Post by jpeps »

After one day of mostly light programming, I noticed my cache steadily increased to over 800M, leaving about 50M free; seems a bit strange.
To clear:

Code: Select all

sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#113 Post by Béèm »

mavrothal wrote:The 3dr one is an old one (and maybe reported and I missed it). The setup desktop icon is taller than the rest so does not align properly. This independent of Xtd.dpi and/or screen resolution.
Other icon themes align properly
No the setup icon has the correct size.
It is the slickpet icon which is too small. Only 36 pixels. Just rescale it to 48 and all is ok.

Probably micko will correct it for next releases. :wink:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#114 Post by 01micko »

Thanks for that info Béèm! I made the icon by just copying the mail one.. I had no idea :lol:

Anyway, I had enough of Haiku icons.. they are pretty but I found a set just as pretty at half the cost :wink: Haiku goes to PPM.

_____

First-run.. oh boy... I can be thick! I should have read the file by shino in ~/Startup :roll: .. now we have a decent flow...

First-run(2 barks) > set locale/TZ/keys/res/numlock/etc > welcome!stboot!.

There is a problem though. Barry's bacon version makes a gross assumption that net is not connected. Sp we divert to my modified version. Also Barry's bacon version is crap on small res. I have covered this by diverting to my version IF>

There is net connection, or small screen

IF no net and small screen you get the connection Button.

IF no net and big screen you get the Bacon! (has connection button)

This should address bigpup's and aarf's issues.. and I have i18n'd the scripts, not many words so translations will be swift.

It's all good.

01micko

#115 Post by 01micko »

Sage wrote:
Sage? Work for you?
Actually - yes!
Ok, thanks for answer.. I was ready to toss sis_drv.so! (It p*??ed me off! :lol: )

Sage

#116 Post by Sage »

Sadly I'll have to delete it in favour of Wary on my ancient Cq chassis-only, recently resurrected junk heap as it's just too big=slow for the available resources. However, all that depends on whether BK can sort out the touchpad issues like the rest of you guys!

01micko

#117 Post by 01micko »

Ok,, here's what I've been up to.. (re first run)

Included is the DOTpot file and a crude Spanish ,mo and ,po.. for the sake of testing. As long as it works ok it wont change. There aren't many lines to translate, took me 5 mins.

It gets called at the finish of shino's first-run (from ~/Startup/fullstart) which is how it was intended by shino (with wary in mind I think.) This should save any duplication of processes.. it was a real mess before with first-run being called from /usr/sbin/delayedrun and ~/Startup/fullstart :roll:
Attachments
welcome1stboot_sh-0.1-s.tar.gz
translators welcome, structured like a pet, not much use to install it!
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

eternal-sunshine

#118 Post by eternal-sunshine »

01Micko
Firstly congratulations on what you have achieved to date...this is one of the most exciting Puppys to date.

Just a bit of, fairly trivial, feedback FWIW:
(I am running a manually installed frugal to a PATA HDD, ethernet connection which was auto installed and no wifi.)

1. I have a test rig that runs with SiS chips. No probs with setting Xorg resolutions such as 1440x700 or 1024x728.

2. I also have the "reboots rather than shuts down" issue but I have had this with several Puppys in the past and found that adding

Code: Select all

acpi=force
did the trick. I can confirm this patch also works with slacko B4.

3. Installed the "Browser Default Change browser default browser" ( bit of a mouth full that) using slickpet. It says it will be found under Menu>System but in fact it's lurking in Utility.

4. I really like your Cloud pet although it downloads its icon over Plan. No big deal though. Perhaps you might add Dropbox to the list as it's a well respected, multi-platform cloud storage that is free for 2GB of storage.

5. Tried to download Chromium 15.0.855 using slickpet but it says it needs deps
GConf orbit2 libevent
. I can search for them but may put off noobs.

6. I see there is talk of compiling a cut down LibreOffice Writer. I agree with DaveS that it ain't so easy. An alternative might be to use OOoLight http://download.ooolight.org/ which has a pet that comes in at 89MiB. Just a thought.

7. I know everyone has a different opinion about esthetics but the yellow bars on the pup-save menu don't seem to give any feedback as to what has been selected.

However all-in-all this looks like being a star version of Puppy, not just in what it does but the way you have managed this project personally.
So once again many congratulations and thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#119 Post by Lobster »

eternal-sunshine wrote:01Micko
4. I really like your Cloud pet although it downloads its icon over Plan. No big deal though. Perhaps you might add Dropbox to the list as it's a well respected, multi-platform cloud storage that is free for 2GB of storage.
available here 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

shinobar

delaydrun

#120 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote:it was a real mess before with first-run being called from /usr/sbin/delayedrun and ~/Startup/fullstart :roll:
The delaydrun should not call any dialogue, firstrun, welcome1stboot, nor flashplayer installer. Then they must be more simple.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]